Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Insignia.
Insignia® - DVD Player with MP3 Playback/JPEG Viewer - NS-DVD1
I have one in my bedroom. Crash tested!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Insignia.
This looks about the size of the Blaupunkt unit we used. If it is the same size, then it is a little more than twice the size of a 1/2 DIN unit, but, at that price, hey!
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska1966
Have you thought about a flip down screen? They go under the cabinet and have a small screen. Usually with speakers. People put them in their home kitchens alot. Best Buy and other places have them online to look at.
I don't think the flip-down screen would work since it would be too small to see from the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
I would not recommend buying an intergrated unit because if the DVD player malfunctions you have ruined you unit, according to the advice I was given.
I've heard that argument too, and while it's possible the DVD player might fail at some point, I don't see how it would affect the operation of the TV itself. But the more I think about it the more I like the flexiblity of not having the DVD built in. That way when blue-rays come down on price I don't have an obsolete built-in unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Insignia.
Wow, gotta love that price! The size is still pretty good too.

Thanks!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
20" Hdtv

I installed a 20" VIZIO HDTV from Costco in the front of our '65 Caravel, against the front window, over the end of the dinette. Does great getting free HD over the air broadcast (where available) using the old, folding antenna on the Caravel. We use Dish network and have a Go Video DVD/VHS player/recorder. Didn't want a TV with built in DVD for trouble/replacement reasons.

Love the VIZIO
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
We use our Mac Book Pro 17" with the Elgato eyetv hybird tuner. The tuner connects to the batwing antenna and will receive HDTV signals with no problem. Additionally easily connects to most cable service. You can play your favorite CDs and DVDs on the Mac Book and if you have an internet connection you can stream your favorite radio station anywhere in the world. Add a set of Bose speakers and let the entertainment begin. And of course you when you are not watching TV you can use the Mac Book to create photo albums of your latest Airstream outing or keep track of your travel budget. Nah forget about the budget thing.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Hang TV like a picture..

We have Sharp 14" flat screen LCD, and wanted it on side of refrigerator cabinet, facing front couch.. Rather than hard mount, we used picture frame wire on rear and mounted sturdy picture hook to flimsy wall beside refrigerator. TV is removed and rides in padded comfort during transit, and is then hung is low stress way when parked, where fancy mounts and finding ways to strap it down while in motion are unimportant...

Many of the LCD TV's do use power converter to make 12V out of 110V AC, but Sharp insists running direct on Battery 12V is high risk, since TV power distribution can't handle wide variety in input voltages.. (Battery can put out 11.5 to 13.5V..)

ALL new TV's by now must have ATSC (digital) tuners in them, and will receive std or higher definition digital TV just fine from roof antenna.. We have two high def big screen TV's at home and roof antenna does terrific job. No cable, no satellites... Not sure how RV parks with analog cable setups are going to respond in 2009..

Better to be early than late requesting the $40 "Discount Coupons" the government is issuing for ATSC Tuner modules to allow continued free use of older TV's after SUper Bowl in 2009, when analog channels 2-88 will be shut down, and frequencies sold to other users. The Tuner boxes are still expensive ($75+), as they need to also have their own remote and power sources...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
1998 19' Bambi
livingston , Texas
We have a 2005 34' I put a 27" Samsung HD TV on the fridge bulkhead with no problems in 2 years and about 40,000 miles. You would need a stonger bracket than the swing out type. We went with Samsung as it has the smallest area around the actual piture and have used a samsung in our airstream since 1996.
bike 2 eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
We found the 27" Samsung to be a good fit as well. Smaller frame around the picture. Fits well in 28' CCD.

Tom
Attached Images

Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We first had a little portable DVD player. Too small

Next through Ecost got a Akai 15" TV/DVD which also works on 12v for $209 player didn't work. Found out "recertified" means some kind of factory reject. Ecost would not let me return said I had to order and pay for a replacement unit then return the original. Guess what? The replacement unit did not work either. Went through a nightmare of phone calls but finally got both returned.

Now bought a 15 Audiovox TV/DVD for $289. It also works on 12v. So far so good. I usually don't by extended service contracts but did in this case to cover the DVD players moving parts.

I liked the stand on the Akai which is hinged and allows for different angle settings. I like the DVD set up on the Audiovox seems simpler.

I thought about a bigger unit or mounting one on a wall but decided this is big enough for my Tradewind and I will keep it portable
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Lcd Tv - Update!

Hi All, OP here!

Well, after a lot of research and hard thinking we decided to leave the TV in the factory designed location in our Safari 25SS, which is on the wall right behind the dinette in front of the sofa. We were originally thinking of moving it to the fridge wall behind the dinette but that would be far enough away from the sofa that you would need at least a 23" model and those start to get really big, thick and heavy -- and there was a possibility of the person sitting at the dinette banging their head on it.

So we settled for a 19" Sharp model LC19SK24UW. We found a nice white one at BestBuy in Port Huron. What we really liked about this model was it is very compact -- extremely thin and light with a very small bezel. The white goes nicely with our Safari's interior and we like the fact that it's a brand name, although we did pay a bit of a price for it. It's only 19" but when you're sitting on the sofa or dinette it's only a few feet away so we didn't need a larger one.

We decided not to get an integrated DVD because the forthcoming format change to Blue-Ray would make anything we bought today obsolete. Besides, most of the integrated units are quite thick and heavy. For now we bought a cheepo external $30 stand alone DVD that we'll plug into the TV when needed.

To mount the TV, we bought a single arm flat panel mount and had the dealer install it. They pulled the wall apart and installed some extra plywood backing just to be safe, although I didn't really think that should have been necessary since it was mounted in the factory location where the old tube TV mount was which was much heavier. Better safe than sorry I guess.

The single arm mount allows the TV to swivel either towards the dinette or the sofa for optimum viewing depending on the circumstances. The movement of the arm was originally very slick and the TV wouldn't stay in place so I replaced the teflon washers with garden hose washers and clamped them tight so the arm now stays put. It's very stiff now and there 's no need for straps to secure it even when travelling -- a true no fuss setup.

I velcroed a surge protected power bar on the back of the dinette to plug the TV and DVD into when needed. It will also be handy for charging the kids Ipods, cell phones and camera batteries etc.

Here's a couple of shots of the setup. Nothing special, but it might provide some ideas.

Cheers!
Gary

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Not sure how RV parks with analog cable setups are going to respond in 2009
I know this is on older comment, but just an FYI, the ATSC digital transition only applies to over the air broadcast and not cable systems and satellite providers.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote