Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Yikes Our Drawers Ejected!

Dang! Our two drawers under the clothes closet in our 75th ejected during a short 30 minute haul to our storage place. Nicked the floor and chipped one of the drawers...

How can this be? Why doesn't AS have a stop to prevent this from happening? Is this something unique in the 75th or do other Airstreams have this issue. Surely this is something they should have thought about over the last 75 years!

Others be forwarned... a fix should be make before this happens to you!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
They were not in all the way? If they are seated they should not come lose to begin with.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Fiddle with 'em and if they seem secure when they are pushed in all the way I'd cast my vote with Michelle.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Wife is pretty sure there was 'closure'. Besides 2 drawers... I don't know. Next time the duct tape comes out!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Can you run a curtain tension rod to the other side from where your drawers are? My Safari pantry used to open, someone gave me that tip until we could come up with a better solution. One of our bed drawers opens now. But it doesn't come out. The night stand used to come open and the factory installed something else for a better catch.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
if you were to say balance the running gear that wouldn't happen...

Onboard Tire & Wheel Balance Systems, Tire Rotation, Tire Balance, Tire Balancing - Centramatic

you could even use the search function on the upper right and read all the threads...

just sayin...

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi campadk...

drawer ejection is very common, very very common.

yes fully closing is important but they can and do still eject.

empty drawers do it more frequently that full ones...

front facing drawers with stopping and side facing drawers with big turns...

drawer behind the axles seem to do it more than those in front.

sometimes the mounting hardware/slides need to be repositioned at a 'steeper' angle....

a/s will make adjustments under warranty for this issue.

ejected drawers can gouge the floor or splinter apart or do other creative things....

it isn't specific to the 75th...

jcanavera has posted about his drawer issues too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Solution

The PO of our 22' CCD solved that problem for us. He was a builder with an extensive shop and custom crafted toggle bolts from stainless steel and attached them to each of the cupboards and drawers that could open. The toggle bolts are similar to the inexpensive slide bolts you can get at any hardware store. Each of the toggles is secured before a trip. The tough part is remembering to unlock them before trying to open a drawer.

He also came up with a good solution for the plastic sliding doors in the overhead lockers. Each door has a finger hole to open it, so he bought orange plastic cable cuffs to go through the finger hole. They lock two doors together so they don't slide open.

My task is to make sure that the contents of the overhead lockers are secure or padded so things don't slind and scratch the inside of the door.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I have also had this problem with the large drawer under my stove and the large drawer under the wardrobe. They are always checked before I start out to make sure they are fully closed. Would like to say that this only happens when I have a rough road but has also happened when the entire drive was smooth. More Airstream QC!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
You could also install child safety devices that will prevent the drawer from opening more than an inch.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Our 2002 Bambi came with knobs that lock absolutely when pushed in. Such knobs could be retrofitted for the critical drawers. Rockler sells a gold-colored version called a "Positive Action Push Button Catch" for $17.29 each (Positive Action Push Button Catch - Rockler Woodworking Tools). Airstream or other sources should have them in silver.

With these catches, we never have a drawer or door open on its own as long as WE remember to lock them before setting out.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Great solutions! Thanks everyone.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
We had the same problem with the drawer under the seat in the back. I pulled the drawer all the way out and found a plastic "catch" that was bent out of shape. This "catches" the knob on the back of the drawer and makes it harder to open. Make sure the ball on drawer and catch (receiver) line up or it will alway open on you.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
I don't understand why the cabinet latches are plastic! Had two break on our last 07 AS and it was less than 3 months old.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
plastic is cheaper... cheaper means higher profit marigin... it's very simple. My vintage unit has metal hooks that lock the drawer shut when you twist the knob. Guess the profit margin wasn't so tight in 1962.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
You could also install child safety devices that will prevent the drawer from opening more than an inch.
Well, I installed the child safety latches on my 05 Safari LS center drawer today. I got tired of picking up all the stuff that got dumped each time I reached my destination. (I have the center dresser drawer with twin beds model) Was previously using Velcro which really didn't work very well and made the dresser look ugly.

Took trailer out for a test and I am very happy with the results.

Got the kit from Lowe's for under $3.50. Took about 1/2 hour to install with my "superior" carpenter skills .

Anyway, thought I'd share it with you guys.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Another solution

You can get self-closing full extension drawer slides from Lee Valley Tools. They actually pull the drawer closed in the last 2 inches of travel.
I have used these on additional drawers that I added on my Safari, and they work great.
They can be found here:http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43614,43616

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The best drawers I had were in my 2001 Safari where when the knobs were pushed in, the drawer was locked.

On my Classic the drawer rails have a little metal high end at the front end of the rail. Technically when you open the drawers, you lift the drawer which allows the drawer to lift over the stop. The problem with this is two fold.

First if you don't lift the drawer at the end when you push it in, you bend the tab. Secondly if you hit a good enough bump the drawer will bounce in the rail and bounce over the stop. On rough roads it's not unusual to find at least 3 of the drawers slide open. I went back three times to the dealer's to fix it and the answer was to always bend the tabs on the rail back up. One day I'll add some latches that will provide a more positive catch to the drawers. Something on the order of the drawers under the Queen bed.

I'm not sure if A/S has changed that design in the subsequent years for the Classics, but it's very poor.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the 2009 models will have an inflatable raft to put in the isle while traveling. just kidding :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
If the drawers don't snap into place the the catches are broken, on our CCD the board the catches where attached too had come unnailed, might want to remove a drawer and take a look
Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Dang! Our two drawers under the clothes closet in our 75th ejected during a short 30 minute haul to our storage place. Nicked the floor and chipped one of the drawers...

How can this be? Why doesn't AS have a stop to prevent this from happening? Is this something unique in the 75th or do other Airstreams have this issue. Surely this is something they should have thought about over the last 75 years!

Others be forwarned... a fix should be make before this happens to you!
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi