Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
plastic is cheaper... cheaper means higher profit marigin... it's very simple. My vintage unit has metal hooks that lock the drawer shut when you twist the knob. Guess the profit margin wasn't so tight in 1962.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Originally Posted by peegreen
You could also install child safety devices that will prevent the drawer from opening more than an inch.
Well, I installed the child safety latches on my 05 Safari LS center drawer today. I got tired of picking up all the stuff that got dumped each time I reached my destination. (I have the center dresser drawer with twin beds model) Was previously using Velcro which really didn't work very well and made the dresser look ugly.

Took trailer out for a test and I am very happy with the results.

Got the kit from Lowe's for under $3.50. Took about 1/2 hour to install with my "superior" carpenter skills .

Anyway, thought I'd share it with you guys.

2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Another solution

You can get self-closing full extension drawer slides from Lee Valley Tools. They actually pull the drawer closed in the last 2 inches of travel.
I have used these on additional drawers that I added on my Safari, and they work great.
They can be found here:,43614,43616
If you need to turn on your air conditioner,you've gone too far south!

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The best drawers I had were in my 2001 Safari where when the knobs were pushed in, the drawer was locked.

On my Classic the drawer rails have a little metal high end at the front end of the rail. Technically when you open the drawers, you lift the drawer which allows the drawer to lift over the stop. The problem with this is two fold.

First if you don't lift the drawer at the end when you push it in, you bend the tab. Secondly if you hit a good enough bump the drawer will bounce in the rail and bounce over the stop. On rough roads it's not unusual to find at least 3 of the drawers slide open. I went back three times to the dealer's to fix it and the answer was to always bend the tabs on the rail back up. One day I'll add some latches that will provide a more positive catch to the drawers. Something on the order of the drawers under the Queen bed.

I'm not sure if A/S has changed that design in the subsequent years for the Classics, but it's very poor.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the 2009 models will have an inflatable raft to put in the isle while traveling. just kidding :-)
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
If the drawers don't snap into place the the catches are broken, on our CCD the board the catches where attached too had come unnailed, might want to remove a drawer and take a look

Originally Posted by campadk
Dang! Our two drawers under the clothes closet in our 75th ejected during a short 30 minute haul to our storage place. Nicked the floor and chipped one of the drawers...

How can this be? Why doesn't AS have a stop to prevent this from happening? Is this something unique in the 75th or do other Airstreams have this issue. Surely this is something they should have thought about over the last 75 years!

Others be forwarned... a fix should be make before this happens to you!

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote

2007 bambi