Old 07-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Winterization in the Pacific Northwest

Iím wondering how those of you with an AS in the Puget Sound region (Seattle and I-5 corridor) handle winterization. Since we donít get too many below freezing temps, do you stick to a calendar plan or wait for the first signs of sub-freezing temps and then quickly winterize your AS?

Iím thinking about this because my plan would be to store my AS outdoors, uncovered in my driveway. I would like to be able to use it year-round, even if for a period having to use it in a winterized state.

ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Hi.

I'm just south of Portland, OR and our winter temps are similar to yours. Come winter time we always think we are going to go somewhere so we don't winterize the way most folks do.

We drain all tanks and lines and then blow lines out with air. We pour a cup of RV antifreeze down the sink and shower traps.
We place trouble lights with 40W incandescent bulbs next to the water pump and underneath the water filter (under galley sink). We place a "dehumidifier" (actually a low wattage resistance heater but called a dehumidifier by the manufacturer) on the bathroom floor with the vanity door open and the bathroom door closed . These heat souces are connected to a 24 hour timer set for predicted conditions. So 85 % of winter the timer is off. The other 15% the timer is turns on and off as the outside temps falls and rises above 32.

We can see the under-kitchen-sink light from inside our house but I still check the heat sources 'cause sometimes the incandescent bulbs fail. The bathroom is noticeably warmer than the rest of the trailer with its "dehumidifier" running.

Our 2009 trailer is plumbed with PEX, which is forgiving of freeze/thaws.
After several winters we've had no freezing issues but we've also had no power outages during cold snaps.

With our normal conditions, pumping antifreeze thru the plumbing seems wasteful so we've never done it.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I try to have my trailer winterized by Halloween. If some unusual freezing event were to happen before then, it doesnt take much time to do. I'm attaching the instructions I've been using.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf winterize.pdf (51.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
I live in the Columbia Gorge, on the side of a mountain, so my weather will be rather more severe than yours.

I winterize when the weather is going to turn colder than the high 30s, because up here, it can suddenly snap below freezing and the wind will drive the cold into any open space...

I do like most here, drain the fresh tank after last use, then it's ready anytime; then when I see the cold coming, drain the water heater and blow the lines with compressed air.

And because I'm a belt-and-suspenders type, I have a cheap 'milkhouse' heater in the AS, set to its highest temp (thermostats on these are unreliable - keep reading) and set to its lowest (750W) setting. I control it with an inline mechanical thermostat made by Johnson Controls. Why mechanical? Because in the winter, our power can be iffy, rendering electronic controls - powered by line voltage - unreliable.

I crack open the cabinet doors under the sinks, and make sure the bathroom door is propped open.

I've done this for the last about 30 years or so with various trailers and have had great luck so far.

Hope this helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I too am a belt a suspenders guy when it comes to winterizing. I drain everything, then bypass the hot water heater, remove the white nylon nut in the hot water heater and use a syphon to get the last bits of water out, then use a compressor to blow out the lines. Then I pump about a gallon and half of rv antifreeze throught the intake of the fresh water pump. I get almost instant red antifreeze out of the kitchen tap, the shower, the toilet and bathroom facet, and don't forget the outside shower. This has worked in Portland for the last four years, and two years ago it was in the mid teens for several nights. I sleep pretty well doing this. I also pull my batteries in winter and they live in my garage with their little friend Mr battery tender.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
We store our trailer covered outdoors in Snohomish without power hooked up. We have done so now for 6 winters without problems. We pre-emptively winterize around October or November.

First we give her a good wash and wax.

We drain all water lines, tanks, and pull the WH plug as instructed in the manual. We disconnect both hoses from the water pump. We blow out the lines. Last year was the first I added a little anti-freeze to the sink traps, but mostly just because I had some on hand, not because I was terribly concerned about freeze up.

I pull the wet battery and put it in my garage on a trickle charge.

We pull any upholstered cushions away from the metal walls to improve air circulation. We open doors and cabinets. We place 2-3 cannisters of Dri-Z-Air in the trailer to keep things dry and check them 2-3 times during the winter. They seem to do the job well, we've had any mildew problems. However, since she is under a roof, she is not accumulating rain or snow on top of her.

We use our trailer during the winter and simply dry camp.

Chris

ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote