Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Winter camping, Vents open or closed?

Okay, I have looked high and low for this and can only find advice for winter storage. I want to know about winter camping!

Should we camp with vents open for circulation or closed to help keep the heat in? I know pretty well our Bambi has enough "natural" ventilation via the doors and other openings. Do I need to crack the roof vents too? This begs the range hood fan question too. We love cooking, if we need to run the hood fan, should we open something to provide that air? If the roof vents are cracked I can sure feel the air being sucked in that way.

Thanks for any tips. . .

2010, 19' Flying Cloud
Willwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You will need to keep a vent open most of the time just to vent all the moisture that you exhale and that is produced by cooking/showering/cleaning . A little experimentation as to how much ventilation you need will soon have you dialed in.
A lot of moisture beading up on the inside of the windows means not enough ventilation. Extreme shivering probably means too much...

Enjoy the journey,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I leave the roof vents open all year round. As noted above moisture has to have an exit or condensation will happen.

Unless you are cooking fish, which we never do, the shouldn't be a need for the hood fan as the heat generated will vent through the roof vents.

If you have a catalytic heater the vents open are a MUST.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Simple enough, thanks for the advice!
Willwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
If your cooking anything with liquid in it you need the the range hood vent open. Extreme case think pasta and all the moisture you would be putting into the trailer w/o it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
If your cooking anything with liquid in it you need the the range hood vent open. Extreme case think pasta and all the moisture you would be putting into the trailer w/o it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app
If you're cooking with PROPANE, use the range hood exhaust fan. I got one of those induction burners which makes winter cooking less problematic. for instance I can heat water for tea or coffee to 210 degrees - just below boiling - so steam is kept to a minimum. Boiling pasta - yep - I'd use the exhaust fan either way.

Paula
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Vent Open

Right after we purchased our Bambi Sport I installed a MaxAir vent cover. With it's smoke color it looks great against the silver skin.

You can leave the vent open all the time since even in a heavy rain virtually nothing gets in. Traveling during hot weather leaving it open allows air to circulate inside the AS and in cold weather it allows moisture to escape and not get trapped inside the trailer.

Its a cheap and easy upgrade that adds to the value of the trailer.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Redwoods - Gold Beach 2013 003.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	206805  
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We added a maxx vent cover as well and are Happy we can leave the vent open most of the time. I like to crack the kitchen window open when it's cold and keep the top vent cracked as well depending how cold it is. I have not camped in anything colder then 30.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
What hood vent?

That's one of the features that AS really messed up on when designing the 16' Bambi Sport.

That and a fantastic fan that doesn't pull and push air out through the roof vent. I'm already making plans to change out the factory unit with one that does both.

I also had to have installed a manual switch outside for the frig fan. Even in 55 degree weather the fan ran about 90% of the time.

Even with these small irratations we love our little tin can and enjoy every time we take it out on a road trip.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We do 3-season camping, and pretty much always leave the roof vent open ajar when camping, to vent the condensation. It's not fun waking up in the morning to the sight of water trickling down the inside of the walls. Depending on your configuration, you might prefer to open a side-window, instead. We are also particular about leaving wet towels, jackets, bathing suits, &c outside on a line or spread out in the back of the truck, to reduce the inside humidity. We also cook with the fume hood fan running, so that the air monitor doesn't start screaming at us.

With a power source in not-to-cold weather, we take along a small electric space heater. For really cold weather we run the furnace at a very slow setting.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote