Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Attach to the door like this?Attachment 244896
More efficient [nod to Lewster] and seems simpler than fabricating a bracket on the interior structure to hold the pair of fans. When a AS servicer claimed my fan was inoperative, I ordered twp Silenx replacements -- but removing and checking the old fan with a 12v supply showed the fan was OK. I suspected the thermostat was frozen open so the fan never works (the symptom) regardless of the switch.

For this newbie trying to fix a fan problem...

In your photo, there is a device mounted below and wired to the fans on the vent door. What is it?
Also the wiring does not seem to go to the thermostat. Are you bypassing it and operating manually?
Lewster, how would you check the thermostat operation?

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Attach to the door like this?Attachment 244896
Blowing out the vent helps avoid recirculation (thereby more efficient). Mounting the fans in free space, hoping the momentum of the air flow will carry it out, is less efficient. Mounting in free space will cause some recirculation of the flow and affects the flow across the fridge coils.

As Lew has pointed out before, put them where they are pulling air up through the cavity behind the fridge and blowing out a vent, on top or the side as your layout allows.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearScream View Post
More efficient [nod to Lewster] and seems simpler than fabricating a bracket on the interior structure to hold the pair of fans. When a AS servicer claimed my fan was inoperative, I ordered twp Silenx replacements -- but removing and checking the old fan with a 12v supply showed the fan was OK. I suspected the thermostat was frozen open so the fan never works (the symptom) regardless of the switch.

For this newbie trying to fix a fan problem...

In your photo, there is a device mounted below and wired to the fans on the vent door. What is it?
Also the wiring does not seem to go to the thermostat. Are you bypassing it and operating manually?
Lewster, how would you check the thermostat operation?

Thanks.
Most of the thermostats used for fridge fan circuits, regardless of the manufacturer, are essentially worthless. They seem to fail at exactly the point when most needed!!

I have found it far easier (and more reliable) to use a simple lighted SPST switch placed somewhere in the interior for easy access that controls fan operation.

My 19CCD had such a switch right at the entry door. On when needed....off when not. Works every time!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Eugene , Oregon
The photo that accompanies my post "attached like this" is not mine. I found it and showed it to see if that was was setup Lewster was referring to. Therefore I can't comment on the schematics. Sorry.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

Pearland , Texas
I've had similar problems on my 1982 Avion 34V and found a thread on a forum on RV net. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Propane vs Electric Use with NO Fans/Fans Test Results
It details temps during cool down using a fan to vent air in the top of the fridge on elect and on LPG with and without the fan. Based on this article I installed 2 fans below the top vent in my 1982 Avion 34V by removing the back of the compartment above my fridge, a Dometic RM 2080 that replaced a RM100 last year. Poor cooling has been an issue with the new fridge. Sometime temps in the 30s, mostly in the 40s. If traveling like TouringDan the temps will rise into the high 40s and low 50s. I filled the Dead space on one side of my fridge that was 2 inches with Corning rigid foam insulation called Foamular available from Home Depot. The other side was inaccessible without pulling the fridge but only a 1/2 inch dead space. The fridge cooled down adequately during the night. Temps now are 33 in the fridge part of the box and 14 in the freezer. The temps in the cavity above the fridge are in the mid to high 90s with the new fans running and 115 without the fan running. So the fans do vent the hot air. Temperature outside the trailer is 92 at noon, expected to be 100 by 4pm. Traveling with the fridge on LPG is always an issue. On a 5000 mile trip last month to the UP of Michigan the temp would always be in the mid to high 40s to the low 50s at the end of the day while driving. I will see next month, during a trip to Colorado from Texas, if the vents will help while traveling, hopefully they will.

I've made numerous contacts with Dometic Customer Service and they stated the following: "The refrigerator area should be a substance temperature of 38-43 degrees and the freezer 0-14. "
I also talked to an independent Dometic service person in Indiana during our trip, and he said dead space is problem. That is why I filled the dead space best I could with the rigid foam insulation stacked in the area space next to the fridge.

That is my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I have no roof chimney and went with a trio of computer cooling fans (Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B3AP-13 120mm Silent Case Fan) fastened to a bracket permanently attached to the inside of the top outlet door opening blowing outward. The fans sit about 1/2" from the cooling fins and the bracket has been trimmed to not impede air flow through the fans.

I suppose I could increase efficiency by filling in the space between the fans.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator External Fans (Small).JPG
Views:	416
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	244944  
Old 08-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
1969 27' Overlander
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Will this setup work for a fridge fan?

No question about it, this is a hot issue. I just installed a vent in the back door of my '61 Bambi and with that, mounted a computer fan in the existing vent above. I also have inhansed the insullation around the sides of the frig. This was done to create a in and out circulation bottom to top. Not quite done with this yet.

I installed a fan in our '69 some years ago. On this unit, I placed the fan at the base of the roof vent. Originally, I had located the fan about mid way on the coils; this resulted in a lot of hot air being forced into the galley area. The air came in around the oven.

Once I moved the fan very little hot air reached the inside the unit. This gave my AC some relief.

Martin
Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Leister is set up like mine; off when not needed and no noise at night. Works great thus far.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Today's temps are in the high 90's max humidity, heat index 108. I don't think any amount of fans would help. My fan has been running non stop for the past three days. Fridge does not want to go below 46 even with a new adjustable thermistor.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We put some shade on our streets use fridge with our street side awning. It seems to help a bit.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No awning on that side. Would love to add them if someone wants to write the check. Maybe I can find a few suckers on "go fund me".
Old 08-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Today's temps are in the high 90's max humidity, heat index 108. I don't think any amount of fans would help. My fan has been running non stop for the past three days. Fridge does not want to go below 46 even with a new adjustable thermistor.

It's been like that here in Corpus Christi. So the reefer has been on propane as that is just slightly better at cooling than 120V (which itself has been difficult to maintain with the line I'm on).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacelad12 View Post
I've had similar problems on my 1982 Avion 34V and found a thread on a forum on RV net. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Propane vs Electric Use with NO Fans/Fans Test Results
It details temps during cool down using a fan to vent air in the top of the fridge on elect and on LPG with and without the fan. Based on this article I installed 2 fans below the top vent in my 1982 Avion 34V by removing the back of the compartment above my fridge, a Dometic RM 2080 that replaced a RM100 last year. Poor cooling has been an issue with the new fridge. Sometime temps in the 30s, mostly in the 40s. If traveling like TouringDan the temps will rise into the high 40s and low 50s. I filled the Dead space on one side of my fridge that was 2 inches with Corning rigid foam insulation called Foamular available from Home Depot. The other side was inaccessible without pulling the fridge but only a 1/2 inch dead space. The fridge cooled down adequately during the night. Temps now are 33 in the fridge part of the box and 14 in the freezer. The temps in the cavity above the fridge are in the mid to high 90s with the new fans running and 115 without the fan running. So the fans do vent the hot air. Temperature outside the trailer is 92 at noon, expected to be 100 by 4pm. Traveling with the fridge on LPG is always an issue. On a 5000 mile trip last month to the UP of Michigan the temp would always be in the mid to high 40s to the low 50s at the end of the day while driving. I will see next month, during a trip to Colorado from Texas, if the vents will help while traveling, hopefully they will.

I've made numerous contacts with Dometic Customer Service and they stated the following: "The refrigerator area should be a substance temperature of 38-43 degrees and the freezer 0-14. "
I also talked to an independent Dometic service person in Indiana during our trip, and he said dead space is problem. That is why I filled the dead space best I could with the rigid foam insulation stacked in the area space next to the fridge.

That is my 2 cents worth.
Now that is what I call a very significant first post! Thanks for the valuable information. Welcome to Air Forums.

I installed a new fridge in my 66 Tradewind about 2 years ago. I installed more insulation around the fridge to minimize the heat gain and installed baffling to direct the air flow thru the fins. Of course it works fine in the seventies but struggles in higher temperatures and when we are on the road. I am convinced now that the problem is just not enough air flow, ie. the heat transfer from natural convection is not nearly as good as that from forced convection. I have just ordered four 90 mm computer fans from Amazon for less than $40. I plan to install 3 or 4 of them in the chimney at the top of the roof vent. I will then run a test of the inside fridge temperature with the fans running and when they are not running.

I already have a remote thermometer installed in the fridge so I can see the temperature at any time without opening the fridge door. This was only $10 at Walmart.

Dan
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I looked in the outside hatch behind the fridge in our 2016 30' Serenity. There is a lot of open space back there, and no fan.

Just testing the fridge parked out beside the house today. 100 degree outside temp (and inside the Airstream), empty fridge and freezer. After being on 24 hours, lowest I could get the fridge was about 44 (and 16 in the freezer).

But by the mid afternoon, when sun was bearing on the fridge side of the coach, the fridge temp went up to 54. Freezer seems to be ok at 16 degrees, but can't get the fridge down to where I think it should be (mid to high 30's). And 54 is a no-go for food storage.

Would filling the fridge with pre-cooled stuff and running the AC inside the coach, to cool the inside of the coach down, be enough to bring the fridge down to mid to high 30's?

Do I need to install a fan or fans in the open mechanical space accessible from the outside of the trailer?

Would it help to have a battery operated fan inside the fridge?

I have much to learn here, obviously.