Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Where to get tires replaced?

Hi forum, I'm headed out less than week, first stop Hatteras NC. Originating S Florida, somewhere along my travels, esp b4 Texas or further west I want to replace all tires. Anyone have good experience with this?
aemers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I've used Discount Tire for both the trailer and the truck.

They price matched tirerack.com, were competent, and did the installation as per my request (steel valve stems, one-piece lug nuts).

Both stores were in San Antonio TX.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bought from tirebuyer. com . They were delivered in a couple of days. I had a nearby garage change them.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I suggest a national chain store like Discount so that if your new tires fail on the trip you can get them warranted in the next town or so. Also, call ahead so the store will be assured of having your size and make in-stock instead of you being stuck somewhere for two days awaiting stock.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I put on those new Goodyear tires couple of thousand ago. Seem pretty good
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I second Discount Tire. I installed Michelins on the 28' trailer in Lubbock TX before I towed it home after purchase. Michelins on the Truck in the Dallas/Ft Worth area (home) and nail punctures repaired on the truck under warranty on the road in Nashville and Dayton Ohio.

Michelin will not warrant tires on trailers but Discount Tire said they would under their warranty.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I have bought from Discount Tire and COSTCO. Both have a good warranty and service. I stuck with the ST tires from both stores, but COSTCO won't install them while they are still on the trailer, discount tire will. I bought my current tires from COSTCO and took them to Discount to mount and balance them, $14 per tire.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I'm another satisfied Discount Tire customer. That said, I went elsewhere for my Maxxis tires because a local store beat Discount's price and got them in quicker. Other than that, I usually buy from Discount.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I've bought Michelins from both Discount & Costco with no problems. When I got my current trailer, I bought Maxxis over the Internet & had my local Goodyear dealer replace the stock GYMs with the Maxxis with no problems.

It's getting close in time to replace the 15 inch Maxxis, which, incidentally have worked well without any problem, & I'm now biting the bullet by getting 16 inch Sendel rims and Michelin XPS Rib tires. I've bought the Sendels cheap over the Internet & have shopped for the Michelins. Discount has them, expensively; Costco doesn't have them. Surprisingly, the best price for them I've found so far is at Walmart, of all places. I intend to order them from Walmart but take them & the Sendels to my local dealer to mount & balance.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I bought my tires at Discount Tire in Iowa and had flat in Texas. I went to Discount tire and they put me to head of line. They asked my phone number and got ALL info than out the door at NO CHARGE.
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Discount tire is Americas Tire in the west. I have been using them while full timing for the past 10 years and have gotten good prices and service. I chose to ignore the complaints about Marathons. Put them on 20,000 miles ago and traveled to the Yukon, Alaska, the Yukon, BC and back. The tires have performed well on road and off road. Sometimes they have a sale that includes tires and wheels. Got 4 top end 285/75/16s with 4 high end alum alloy wheels for my tow van and paid $1200 for the entire set last year. They have been run in the cold and through the desert. Only failure was a 3/8 inch bolt that I picked up on the highway. Glad I had TPMS. I pulled over, put a plug in and had them patch it when I got to Reno. No cost to me.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
You do know there is a difference in vehicle tires and tires specifically for a trailer. Be absolutely the person fro whom you are buying knows that difference.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Tires

Costco sells load range E tires very reasonably
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
As others have ssid:
1) replace all lugnuts with one-piece lug nuts
2) use metal valve stems - my pressure has not diminished since that change
3) use a national ir regional chain where you usually are near in your travels. We use Costco for our car. Les Schwab on the West coast for our AS tires, brakes, bearing lubes, and (if ever needed) axles.

And learn about torquing lug nuts and checking the regularly. Same with tire pressure.

And remember your spare!

Safe travels are fun travels.
D2
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I've bought Michelins from both Discount & Costco with no problems. When I got my current trailer, I bought Maxxis over the Internet & had my local Goodyear dealer replace the stock GYMs with the Maxxis with no problems.

It's getting close in time to replace the 15 inch Maxxis, which, incidentally have worked well without any problem, & I'm now biting the bullet by getting 16 inch Sendel rims and Michelin XPS Rib tires. I've bought the Sendels cheap over the Internet & have shopped for the Michelins. Discount has them, expensively; Costco doesn't have them. Surprisingly, the best price for them I've found so far is at Walmart, of all places. I intend to order them from Walmart but take them & the Sendels to my local dealer to mount & balance.
This not a criticism of Rgentum... I am only commenting on the practice of buying your eggs and taking them to the restaurant to have them fried....if the egg is rotten... the restaurant is not obligated to replace that egg.

If the product you bought on your-own subsequently has a failure... don't be surprised when the installer will happily replace them ..but require YOU to obtain any warranty-service from the mfr'r of your failed product. They are only responsible for any defect in THEIR work-product... the installation labor, which you will have to pay for AGAIN when that tire fails.

Been there. Done that. (Now, I only buy parts thru the installer, who I expect to make a fair product on the transaction...which I've already priced before selecting the service.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Actually Discount tire has a no questions asked replacement available for $25 per tire. It also reduces the mounting and balancing to $12 from $25 per tire.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote