Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Where do you store your trash?

Hi Folks,

I know this is kind of a trivial question, but I have a 16' Bambi, and I haven't found a good solution for storing my trash while camping. I usually just hang a plastic grocery bag on the bathroom door handle, but that gets in the way, not to mention it doesn't look very nice. So, I was just wondering if other Bambi owners have creative suggestions for a way to store trash that is easily accessible but also mostly out of sight. (Trash can under the kitchen table maybe?)

Thanks.

Tim
Boulder, CO
bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I just have a small wastebasket in the galley closet with a plastic grocery bag in it that I empty every day, in my Argosy. Now in my kitchen at home I have a plastic waste basket that is attached to the back side of my undersink cabinet door, right there when I open that door. I had thought about attaching one to a cabinet door in the trailer, but the wastebasket works just as well. Guess I could attach it to the wall in the closet. Don't know if you have enough room in a Bambi to do that.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
We expanded on Isadora's idea....

We bought a slide-out waste basket at Lowes and installed it in the Galley closet.

Works great!

Don't know if it will work in your Bambi...
Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have a stainless steel, pedal-operated lid trash can that holds a t-shirt style grocery bag inside it. It's maybe two feet tall, a foot wide, and ten inches deep. It fits in with the decor, especially if you have a CCD type interior.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
I've got an '07 Bambi. we have a crazy little half-moon shaped waste basket that wraps around the base of the dinette, near the heater. We dump a few times each day into a plastic bag which gets either thrown out immediately, or stored out of view depending on location.

There are not many options at all, as I'm sure you've noticed. Part of the charm, I suppose. Although the 25' CCD is pretty damn tempting. But we've got 2 adults, 2 large dogs and one cat!
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We use one of these Simplehuman trash cans that is designed to hold a plastic grocery store bag. It's nice and small and we love it.
simplehuman: products: profile step can
Old 07-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What if anything do all of you do for recycleables?

For that matter, when you travel, if it's like here, you don't find any support for separating paper and cardboard waste. Surprising to go to a Provincial campground here in Ontario, and the only thing they "divert" from the main garbage stream is pop and juice containers.

All talk and no action, a common gov't position.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Try the Crunch Can by Umbra. It's the ultimate trash can for traveling. We have one and it fits a standard trash bag, slides under the kitchen table when not needed and collapses for storage.

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Check out: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...tml#post300183
Old 07-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a 19' Bambi ...there is a small space (6 or 7") between the dinette base and sink cabinet which I believe is the same set-up as a 16'...We found a very nice stainless steel foot-pedal trash basket in the bathroom dept of Bed bath 'n Beyond...it's rectangular and just fits that space. We use a grocery plastic bag inside it. It's such a good fit and is aluminum-looking that everyone thinks it came with the AS.

If we're creating a lot of trash, like when cooking, etc, we usually hang another plastic grocery bag on the cabinet handle, then empty that right away. In campgrounds where there aren't trash bins nearby we save up our trash and put in in a small plastic garbage can outside...then empty that wen we leave or when it gets full.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

For that matter, when you travel, if it's like here, you don't find any support for separating paper and cardboard waste. Surprising to go to a Provincial campground here in Ontario, and the only thing they "divert" from the main garbage stream is pop and juice containers.

All talk and no action, a common gov't position.
Lack of recycling at Campgrounds is a major issue with us.

I carry a plastic milk crate that gets stuck under or next to the trailer, where all the rinsed cans & bottles go. When it starts to fill up I smash the cans and put everything in a trash back in the back of my truck.

Paper gets put in a cloth bag in our kitchen closet. That gets moved to the bag in the truck when full as well.

Then we either haul the whole mess home of if we see recycling bins along the way we stop and unload.

Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Glad that you brought up the recycle issue. We have a couple of these for trash. They are great for rallies.

We are looking for one that is clearly marked for recycle. Maybe a blue one. Has anyone seen one of these?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

For that matter, when you travel, if it's like here, you don't find any support for separating paper and cardboard waste....<snip>...
Most of the campgrounds—both Arizona State and private—that we've been in have recycling bins available at least to some level...some more elaborate than others... I think some of the variation depends on where they are located and how organized the local trash collection agencies are in the recycling area. One state park had it down to different color glass, different kinds of plastic, different kinds of metal cans, newsprint vs cardboard...in the end you threw very little in the "trash" bin. Now if they only had composting barrels! We take recyclables back home with us if the campground doesn't offer it.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Glad that you brought up the recycle issue. We have a couple of these for trash. They are great for rallies.

We are looking for one that is clearly marked for recycle. Maybe a blue one. Has anyone seen one of these?
I just bought one of those this year - love it. Not sure there was blue though, unless you dyed it or spray painted it.
I left it outside secured to the awning arm with a large trash bag inside.
Our local RV place has them.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Hi Folks,

Thanks for bringing up the recycling issue and the great ideas for trash storage. I'll have to do some measuring to see what will work best in the Bambi, but I especially like the "crunch can" idea. Looks like it would be light weight and would store away easily when not in use.

Thanks!

Tim
Boulder, CO
bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a trap door to a removable bin below would be nice!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi