Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472314716.141581.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	270109Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472314748.190688.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	270110

We have a 2012 16'. The bathroom opening is towards the chair. This device has a red light on it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
LP gas detector, alarms in case of propane leak
It should flash green, so either you have a propane leak or you need a new detector.

add edit:
If it's light is red and not giving an audible alarm something is wrong with the detector.

Is your house battery dead (low voltage)? I'm not sure if this is possible, but the only other thing I could guess that might cause this.

What happens when you press the test button?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Oregon city , Oregon
I hardly used trailer. Used 6 nights in 2015. This year in 2016 I used 2 nights in June. I started realize my 2 batteries does not hold any charge. One oringinal battery and I added a second deep cycle battery. They die in 20 mins after over night charge. I did not winterize the battery when I winterize the trailer in the winter. I'm in oregon.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresan View Post
I hardly used trailer. Used 6 nights in 2015. This year in 2016 I used 2 nights in June. I started realize my 2 batteries does not hold any charge. One oringinal battery and I added a second deep cycle battery. They die in 20 mins after over night charge. I did not winterize the battery when I winterize the trailer in the winter. I'm in oregon.

Replace the batteries, and then check the light on the detector. It may take a few minutes to change to a very slow green flash. If it's still red after an hour, you probably need a new one. It doesn't matter how often or seldom you use the trailer, the LP, CO, and smoke detectors wear out based on total time, not time camped in the trailer.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:

Are you plugged into shore power? When plugged in, the converter should provide 12v to the LP detector.

ps: Batteries should be replaced in pairs. When there is one new and one old, the old draws power from the new. The new one will have a reduced life.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Propane is commonly used as an aerosol propellant (spray foot powders for example). This can cause the detector to sound the alarm even though the onboard propane system is OK.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the propane detector hard-wired rather than battery-operated?

Ours had gone off a few time for no apparent reason.... I believe that if it "smells" something it doesn't like, it alarms. We avoid sitting anything near the detector, like dog bowl, shoes, etc.

Try pressing and holding the reset button until the red light is off... it's working properly if there is a slowly blinking green light.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
I suggest you find a user's manual for the LP detector and check the meaning of the red light (and other colored lights) produced by your detector. We had to replace one once--they do go bad, and the color of the light is an indicator of that.

If I remember correctly, the detector would alarm even when the trailer had no source of power (winterized & totally disconnected from shore & battery power).
Old 08-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Another thing that will trigger a false alarm is when your dog decides to sleep next to it and he hits the test button. Believe me, I know.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSarah View Post
I suggest you find a user's manual for the LP detector and check the meaning of the red light (and other colored lights) produced by your detector. We had to replace one once--they do go bad, and the color of the light is an indicator of that.

If I remember correctly, the detector would alarm even when the trailer had no source of power (winterized & totally disconnected from shore & battery power).
The lp detectors are hard wired to the battery unless modified somehow.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Read the Manual

The LP Gas Detector (just like it says on the front) is an important piece of safety equipment you need to know about and keep in good running form. With your trailer plugged in you should be able to deal with the detector. Push the "test" button and see what happens. The alarm should sound and the light should turn back to green.

If this doesn't happen, you might have a bad convertor. I would replace the batteries and then test it. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad detector.

I was having a bit of trouble with mine when it was about 5 years old. It would intermittently "chirp". At first I though it was a bad battery but that wasn't it. Then, I read the manual. It says in mine that you need to test this thing each year. I hit the test button and all the issues went away. I asked the guy at our local Airstream shop and he told me that dust can accumulate on some of the interior parts which can create a problem with the sensors. Hitting the test button makes it "work" and things start to vibrate in the detector. This apparently has some positive affect on the detector itself. Anyway, it worked for me and I haven't had any problems since.

Let us know what you find out and how your fixed this issue. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:

Hopefully your "original" battery was an identical type battery... but in any case, whenever you install batteries they should be of equal or nearly-equal age. (And they must also be exactly the same type and preferably the same model/mfr'r.) If you have an older batter paired with a newer one, the older one may actually drain the newer one because as the older one degrades the newer one attempts to recharge the old one.

If you read that device you will see that on it's faceplate it tells you what it is. Do you have the owners manual for your Airstream?

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote