Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Asbury Park , New Jersey
What do you take with you?

First post, just joined yesterday, after looking at a Bambi 16' Sport.

Went camping many times as a child with my family in a '66 VW Camper. So it's in my blood but as a 51 year old now it has been a long time. What are the necessities that you fill your Bambi's storage spaces with, all those plastic bins (and cargo area of your tow vehicle), for cross country trips?

Are there any basic modifications or additions to the unit that are the norm? For example, incandescent light bulbs, solar panels, an upgraded fridge fan??, bedding that fits that sized mattress, what do people use?

All input is appreciated!
Bambino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Bambino1, just picked up a sport 16 last week. You can buy sheets from the airstream website that fit the rounded corners of the bed. Did not add the solar, but may get a a small Honda generator that can run on propane. Also added aluminum propane tanks. Have fun.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliset123 View Post
Bambino1, just picked up a sport 16 last week. You can buy sheets from the airstream website that fit the rounded corners of the bed. Did not add the solar, but may get a a small Honda generator that can run on propane. Also added aluminum propane tanks. Have fun.

AB Lifestyles Home Store will do the same on bedding, at a much better price.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We traveled for 35 years with a series of VW campers and that experience has been invaluable in using our Airstream. Learn to make do. The Airstream is works well as is, and the dealer is supposed to provide basic hookup stuff.

Begin by traveling as lightly as possible and add in what you can't live without. You will soon know. Nice-to-have's quickly overfill any Airstream, especially a Bambi.

Never lose sight of the fact that it is a camper, not a house, or you will never have enough trailer and truck to satisfy you.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I got to recently looking into this question of sheets as we have a new bunkhous on order....mixed reviews on the airstream store ones...found at least 4 or 5 folks dissapointed...

Ill probably first try the route of buying standard sheets and putting those suspender do-dads on them to keep it all taught....then if that fails will have wife attempt to sew some fix for it....then if that fails, perhaps the AB Lifestyles site....seems like most in the other threads I checked were happy with the quality and fit of these...and price reasonable it seems....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I got to recently looking into this question of sheets as we have a new bunkhous on order....mixed reviews on the airstream store ones...found at least 4 or 5 folks dissapointed...

Ill probably first try the route of buying standard sheets and putting those suspender do-dads on them to keep it all taught....then if that fails will have wife attempt to sew some fix for it....then if that fails, perhaps the AB Lifestyles site....seems like most in the other threads I checked were happy with the quality and fit of these...and price reasonable it seems....
Aistream buys third party sheets; of that I'm sure.

We've bought from both and are VERY satisfied with AB. They use Airstream mattress templates to start with.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Get a copy of the "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming", by Rich Luhr. It's a great little book, with lots of good information for both newbies and old salts. I think it will cover just about all of the necessities. You can add and subtract from there.

I do recommend solar, as it keeps your batteries topped off at all times, unless under covered storage. There is a parasitic draw at all times, and it will drain your batteries in about a month (or less), if not charged regularly.

So now... The first thing to get? A good coffee maker. We use a number 6 Melita cone that fits into the mouth of a Stanley thermos. Nothing like French Roast to start the day.

BTW, the advice to be careful and not overload the trailer is excellent advice.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
I second The Newbies Guide as well. I will post about sheets after my next trip .

I am torn between solar or propane generator. Any advice would be helpful.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliset123 View Post
I second The Newbies Guide as well. I will post about sheets after my next trip .

I am torn between solar or propane generator. Any advice would be helpful.
Solar is always there and working, nice and silent. I don't know about now, but earlier propane generators would go through the fuel.

If you want a generator, and only charge the batteries, then a Honda or Yamaha 1000 would be a good choice. I've had a Yamaha for about 10 years. No problems, except when I left gas in the carburetor over the winter. I now run the gas out after every trip, plus use Stabil in the gas. BTW, I just picked up a Yamaha 2800 for boondocking times when we need to run the AC. A bit noisy, but it does the job.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Travel Light

Bambino1;

We also have a 16' Sport and since we had a Casita prior to the AS and before that a 8' tent trailer we still travel light.

We ended up using only four of the plastic bins for our trailer stuff which left room for folding chairs, lantern, folding table and other stuff. Now the only items inside is one soft sided clothes bag and extra bedding on the rear bed. We are able to utilize the storage bins front, back and kitchen area so now the floor is clear of stuff and it sure makes it easier when setting up at a campsite.

We use all plastic items for the kitchen. When we have hook ups we plan alot of meals using the microwave and places like Trader Joe's has top quality pre made food items that makes meals a breeze.

We stay mostly at places with hook ups but prior to pick up from the AS dealer we had them add a second battery in front and have changed out all the inside lights to LED.

A solar package is in the works and will be going back to the AS dealer to install the segment protectors for the front that the factory doesn't offer on the 16' Sport.

Good Luck

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Red meat to cook on the grill...

That's wassup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3014871207.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	193866   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3442632814.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	193867  

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I will also advise the Newbies Guide. Lots of useful information.
We always carry a notebook and pencil. When you think of something you forgot, or might like, write it down.
Most of all, have fun!
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Have a blast and go out and use it. We too have a Bambi 16. take a cheap level tool. A bag of leveling blocks. Black and white hoses. Zero gravity chairs. Be prepared for all the attention the Bambi 16 attracts. My wife always has her pad and pencil to write down what we need for our next outing. Don't over think it - go have fun.
Navy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
On the day we picked up our 16' Sport I had the dealer level the trailer and I installed some adhesive bubble levels on the front and side of the AS.

There black and blend in nicely against the silver skin and makes leveling the trailer a breeze.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino1 View Post
First post, just joined yesterday, after looking at a Bambi 16' Sport.

Went camping many times as a child with my family in a '66 VW Camper. So it's in my blood but as a 51 year old now it has been a long time. What are the necessities that you fill your Bambi's storage spaces with, all those plastic bins (and cargo area of your tow vehicle), for cross country trips?

Are there any basic modifications or additions to the unit that are the norm? For example, incandescent light bulbs, solar panels, an upgraded fridge fan??, bedding that fits that sized mattress, what do people use?

All input is appreciated!
Don't obsess too much.....after two or three trips you'll have pretty much everything you'll need....Camping & Wally Worlds are everywhere.

WD40 if its stuck.
Duct tape if its not.
Zip-ties just in case.

I don't "modify", I up-grade.
Converter, LED's,(most used interior, porch & step outside.), water pump, skylight, batteries, brake shoes, flooring in storage compartments and trunk, etc etc.
You'll have a good idea whats needed before long.

Bob
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
.......snip..... I don't know about now, but earlier propane generators would go through the fuel.
18-20hrs pancake tank...normal usage.(no AC).

Bob
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Asbury Park , New Jersey
Thanks for all the replies on this, lots of useful ideas.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We take too much...
Groceries- just got home and had to remove too huge coolers full of groceries from the trailer.
2 crock pots...
Ice cream mixer...
Pink flamingos...
16 short sleeve shirts
14 pairs of shorts...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Asbury Park , New Jersey
Ok, the pink flamingos I can see.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I find that we reduce what we take each time. That said, I take stuff to cook and bake with, but everything fits into two small duffles- I empty out the trailer after each trip because we had a problem with a mouse. That's been solved, but I still store the stuff in the garage. I take a floor jack in the back of the car, in case I need to change a tire on the trailer. We use regular sheets and just fit them around the two mattresses... that way, you can get sheets you really like. It does make a difference.