Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome to Our 40 Winker

Wahoo! Sharing our celebration tonight after having just picked up our 75th anniversary Bambi, now know as the '40 winker'.

We are thrilled by drinking some fine wine to celebratea and watching 'The Christmas Story'.

Here are a few shots, definately lots more to take however we have only a few days until it goes into storage on the weekend

40 Winker Logo

Celebrating!

Kate Tests the Mattress with a Dead (I mean fake) Cat

I am thrilled my notebook has a place designed just for it..
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Wahoo! Sharing our celebration tonight after having just picked up our 75th anniversary Bambi, now know as the '40 winker'.

We are thrilled by drinking some fine wine to celebratea and watching 'The Christmas Story'.

Here are a few shots, definately lots more to take however we have only a few days until it goes into storage on the weekend
Congratulations! I see you are "local" to New England. I hope to meet up with you at an event for the grand tour. Love the layout.

I'm now toasting my wine glass to you! [clink, clink]

P.S.
Can you tell us how you came up with that name for your rig?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Yukonia!

Yes we have check out the New England unit and hope to make one of the events next year.

We will be mainly camping in upstate New York next year but do make it over to Vermont and New Hampshire on occasion.

We chose the name after meeting some new friends who own a motel. 'Don' is a real comedian and told us a fun story about people who rent rooms by the hour. He called them ' 40 Winkers'. We had a laugh and thought it would be a good name for our airstream.. not that we rent it by the hour LOL.

It goes well with the name of our teardrop too which we call the 'PJ Snoozer'. Guess we like sleep related names LOL
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
...We chose the name after meeting some new friends who own a motel. 'Don' is a real comedian and told us a fun story about people who rent rooms by the hour. He called them ' 40 Winkers'...
Great story! I needed a good laugh today. You will certainly liven up a campfire gathering every time with THAT story!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
We are thrilled by drinking some fine wine to celebrate and watching 'The Christmas Story'.
Congrats -- I've been following your saga and the outcome looks so fine! Not New England -- come to the Midwest Rally.

BTW -- how the heck could you "shoot your eye out" with a 75th Anniversary Bambi? Sometimes I'm just too dense for my own good ... A very merry un-birthday to you!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
...Not New England -- come to the Midwest Rally. ...
LOL! There's plenty of time for BOTH! If I can get some more vacation time, I would love to meet my Midwest forum friends sometime too.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Lots of interesting noises to get used to. The heater... well furnace sure rumbles, and an odd sound was traced back to the subwoofer under the dinnette seat.

I was amazed how easy it was to tow with our Yukon. The dealer had the hitch setup nicely (equalizer) and Prodigy controller seemed to be set about right. Had to drive back home in traffic... not a problem.

Backed into the driveway with a good 2 feet to spare in length LOL.

Sad to only have it for a few days before it goes into indoor storage. We had it winterize just before leaving the dealer.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations. That is a stunning Airstream. I love the new name and your festive pictures. Glad to be in on the celebration. I also like the (dead) cat mascot. I bet it is little trouble and hardly sheds.

For the subwoofer noise we fiddled with the two knobs, seems turning them up causes a noise that is audible between music and low volume songs.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Wow thats great. Thanks for the photos. I hope i can relate a similar experience by spring. Did you driveway camp then or just hang out? Is it going in heated storage? What "number" did you end up with? Is it still overwhelming? How does it feel to have it now? How was the bed to sleep on? Am i insane to think i could have two kids with us in it? Sorry for the third degree. Thanks
R
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for that info wheel interested. I too had to turn both knobs almost all the way down.. but that basically shuts down the subwoofer! I'm wondering if the noise is related to connection to shore power. If the subwoofer is powered by 120V, it might be slightly dirty power which could be fixed with a decent power bar... I'll have to check into that next spring.

Hey Randjg1... nope we didn't sleep in it last night, maybe Friday night. The Winker will be in indoor storage, but not heated. Our unit is #68 out of 75. Overwhelmed? Well overwhelmingly thrilled I guess LOL.

We test out the bed and we both agreed it needs a pillow top to soften it up. It does provide lots of support though.

Now about those two kids.. can you say 'off you guys go to your tent now!' LOL.

It would be doable for a few nights I suppose, but having to put down the table each night might be a nuisance after that, and not a lot of storage for 4 people. But hey.. we used to camp 30 nights a summer in a teardrop with only 4ft by 7ft of area without being able to stand up and we survived!

How old are your kids?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Wow beautiful trailer and great name!!

Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing the photos and the fun! Now you have all winter to dream and plan your first trips in 40 winker!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That table...

funny, I was looking at the pics, and trying to figure out how the dinette is supported by the seats. Can you post pics?

Love that trailer! We put down our dinette each night for the kids... it really isn't all that big of a deal.. they can put it up in the morning too by themselves!

Camping is camping! I think you'll have a great time! Time to expand your website though.. maybe the kids can sleep in the 'drop and you guys in the Winker?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Marc,

Not sure what you mean by how the dinette is supported by the seats. Do you mean the table or the seats. The seats are similar to other AS designs I think. One has the fresh water tank under it, the other has the subwoofer and storage area. Storage areas behind both seats as well. Center leg holds up the table with hinges on the wall.

My son is 15 (we have him half time) and usually only camps with us a few times a season. He has always like his own tent while us in the tear. We'll see next year what we do... towing two trailers wouldn't be easy

Yes time to add a 40winker section to campadk.com... its inevitable LOL
Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Way to go guys!!

Better late than never.

Driveway camping's the best, isn't it??

Congrats!

(mine's going into storage this Saturday too - so I'm feeling your pain)

Cheers!
Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
the seats..

are a bit different from the other AS dinnettes, as the seating surface stands proud (or away) from the vertical support. How does the table rest on it when in the bed position? In the other AS dinettes, I've seen a small wooden cleat that holds the table flush with the seating area to make the bed. I don't see that cleat in any of the pics.

I'm betting that the subwoofer is getting sine wave interference from the electrical supply (probably 60 hz). I think there may be some sort of resistor that you could put in line to eliminate it.

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #16

2008 19' Bambi
Gainesville , Georgia
40 Winker just saw your site for the first time Exquisite job
silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi