Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #21
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Don't go smaller than a FC19.

Bed can be used for you and your wife, or just you or just your wife with the 2.5yr.

Use the dinette as the other bed with the dog.

Dog can also stay on the floor.

Anything smaller would be tight.

WBCCI 9164
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284022111820203/
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Don't go smaller than a FC19.

Bed can be used for you and your wife, or just you or just your wife with the 2.5yr.

Use the dinette as the other bed with the dog.

Dog can also stay on the floor.

Anything smaller would be tight.
Good point, about using the dinette as a bed. Husband and I want to do long trips, so didn't want to sleep separately and didn't want to have to make up and un-do the dinette bed every day. However, the op mentioned doing very short weekend trips, etc., and for that, we wouldn't have hesitated to get the FC20 and sleep separately.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The neighbors with the FC20 gave up on the "main" bed and switched over to bed for one / dinette for the other.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
We have a 20 w/ 2 adults and two dogs (70 and 15) and no children. We originally started out with the big dog under the dinette and the little dog at our feet...or sometimes a nylon crate (newer dog). Lately, as we have been using the converted dinette for TV/movie watching & lounging/music listening, both dogs with a fleece cover have been enjoying the dinette and my wife and I have enjoyed the bed by ourselves...including the climb over. the Kitchen layout and the large bathroom is worth it (IMO)

woof, bob

[edit, to tag onto Peter's (OTRA15's) thread...similar recent discussion]

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1981326
post 1852
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7681 (Small).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	291800  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I think you've done a really good job of assessing the pluses and minuses of you choices.

I had a deposit down on a Sport 22, then quizzed this forum. The majority said the FC25 was the better ultimate trailer, and that's what I ended up getting.

If I had it to do again, I'd have bought the Sport 22, added the bumper and front shields, and upgraded the tires/rims to 15" and Michelins. For us, that would have been the perfect solution: narrow width, light, big bed; the "minuses" of the Sport 22 are acceptable.

The FC23D adds a lounge that can be a second bed to offset the really small width main bed. The 25' adds the twin bed option. But as you upsize, the cost goes up, the weight increases and the width gets bigger. I would have welcomed the easier to tow Sport 22, in light of our somewhat infrequent use and shorter duration camping trips (under a week each). I find the FC25 difficult to see around when towing, even with extender mirrors.

So, my advise is don't get "one footitis." Each step up in size adds something really nice, but at what cost? Unless you're going to take month-long trips, and a lot of them, the smaller trailer may be the ticket.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
It seems that the 2002-2005 22' Internationals with tandem axles should be avoided entirely, regardless of the frame reinforcement? It appears they had issues with the flooring and water damage. Is that the general consensus? There are some massive threads but its impossible to read them all to get a summary if the "fix" actually fixed anything overall.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post

If I had it to do again, I'd have bought the Sport 22, added the bumper and front shields, and upgraded the tires/rims to 15" and Michelins. For us, that would have been the perfect solution: narrow width, light, big bed; the "minuses" of the Sport 22 are acceptable.....
The 22' Sports already have 15" wheels.

We go camping to see the sights...not sit in a trailer....and find the 22 Sport to be ideal for us as a retired couple. We put it in some really tight places and tow it up some really steep hills without a huge diesel TV.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

We go camping to see the sights...not sit in a trailer....and find the 22 Sport to be ideal for us as a retired couple. We put it in some really tight places and tow it up some really steep hills without a huge diesel TV.

Ditto! Except we're not retired

We're a family of three, and the 22 gives us plenty of space when we need it, which is really only at night and on rainy days. I wouldn't trade the fact that we can squeeze in much more rustic spaces in a million years.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
While I am sure we would appreciate a 23' or 25', we are going with the 22FB if we can get a good used one. Our local dealer is offering ~9% off MSRP for the 2018, but we actually want a used one as we expect we will want to make some changes anyway...and would rather not do that on a brand new one.

That being said, how does one determine fair price for an Airstream? There are several threads that have guidelines offered, but they seem to largely site fixed $ amounts for depreciation and not % based...and the dollar figures proposed couldn't possibly apply to the lower cost Sport models.

I assume you find MSRP for the model year, subtract a discount for initial purchase (10%?) and then perhaps an initial % for the "no longer new" and loss of warranty (10%?) and then a % per year?

So MSRP - 10% + accessories/upgrades - 10% initial depreciation? And then minus 2-3% annual depreciation?

I am going to look at a well used 2011. It appears to be in great condition and has some of the upgrades I would want already in place (segment protectors, rock guards, 2nd battery, power tongue jack, some solar)...just not sure what to offer without insulting someone.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
As with most capital assets, value is often established by reviewing comparable sales. Straight line depreciation is a trap. A coach stored under cover will likely be in better condition than one stored outside. Similar consideration may well apply with respect to dry weather storage, significant travel miles, deferred maintenance, and unprofessional modifications. A coach that was well maintained and even improved by a capable DIY owner may be significantly more valuable than one maintained by the wrong dealer. Just be sure to validate the story, whatever it is.

We met a very nice lady who knew a lot about how to inspect for condition and where to look for common flaws. She was also an experienced AS owner. The first several trailers she rejected for leaks. She walked away from one coach that might have been a good deal. The coach had been stored inside and had no leaks, but was $1000 over what she believed to be a fair price. She found a coach at Colonial that they would not to sell for her price, until Sales called a month later to make a deal. Time does matter. You must be patient. Knowing what you want and what to inspect is priceless, so do your homework.

Tires, batteries, bearings, and brakes all may need attention. Tread on tires does not mean they are new. Look at the date code. Anything over three years is dead. Assume the batteries need to be replaced even if they are new. Brakes and bearings need inspection if not serviced in the last year.

Good luck with your search. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The move from 14" to 15 inchers were a change in, I think, 2017 models.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Here is a thread from 2014 that I started when we were deciding the same thing.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...es-120231.html

There have been some model feature changes since then, but I think it is valuable to see how other feel about this and what they like and don't like about various options.

FWIW we got a 22. Liked it very much especially the comfortable bed, roomy bathroom with window that opens, and kitchen counter space.

It was in a minor accident at our storage facility this spring. Instead of missing a camping season getting it repaired, we recently traded up to a 25 twin. But we would have kept the 22 longer if that had not occurred.

We like the 25 for its much much larger holding tanks, roominess, outside storage, and inside storage.

I will say after having and using the bambi, we learned that we liked Airstreaming very much and that we wanted to do it more and more, and plan to do it extensively in retirement (more than a decade away). Trading was easy and since we had bought the 22 used (9 months old at the time) it held value well.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Yes..you can add a 2nd battery.

"Negatives ..... 1 battery.... (Can't add a second battery with the power tongue jack, because of the propane port and solar plug limits frame space,)"

Oh, but you can add a second battery and it's not difficult! Here's how I added a 2nd battery plus a 1000 watt power inverter to my 22FB.

The existing battery sits in a "channel" which obviously only fits one battery. What I did to get around this limitation was to build a simple platform that sits in this channel. I then added two aluminum 2 x 2 strips to this platform which accommodates two group 24 batteries sitting side by side. It's a great fit and added a lot of power.

Due to the fact that my trailer (and battery) was new I opted to add a 2nd matching battery. When it's time to replace those batteries I am going to look at the option with replacing the two 12v's for two 6v's.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
An update. I ended up purchasing a 2011 22FB, it was already upgraded by the dealer to have dual batteries and has a single ZAMP solar panel and charger. I'll be getting new tires installed on my way home with it tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congratulations!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Thank you to everyone for weighing in on this, hopefully the thread helps someone in the future as well. I will update after we get to use it, which hopefully will be relatively soon.

One perk of buying a used trailer is that we don't have to go drag it to a Container Store to play tetris with all of the possible totes to find the best match they did a lot of that for us. The previous owners used the trailer to find where they wanted to live in retirement. The trailer was well cared for, regular maintenance done by reputable RV shop and stacks upon stacks of paperwork for records. Everything is in the trailer that we would need, add food, water and clothes and we could be using it next weekend (and we may do a trial run).
Old 08-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipper View Post
An update. I ended up purchasing a 2011 22FB, it was already upgraded by the dealer to have dual batteries and has a single ZAMP solar panel and charger. I'll be getting new tires installed on my way home with it tomorrow.
Congratulations Xipper!

Now you can update your profile from Looking to 22FB!
Folsom, CA
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
"Negatives ..... 1 battery.... (Can't add a second battery with the power tongue jack, because of the propane port and solar plug limits frame space,)"

Oh, but you can add a second battery and it's not difficult! Here's how I added a 2nd battery plus a 1000 watt power inverter to my 22FB.

The existing battery sits in a "channel" which obviously only fits one battery. What I did to get around this limitation was to build a simple platform that sits in this channel. I then added two aluminum 2 x 2 strips to this platform which accommodates two group 24 batteries sitting side by side. It's a great fit and added a lot of power.

Due to the fact that my trailer (and battery) was new I opted to add a 2nd matching battery. When it's time to replace those batteries I am going to look at the option with replacing the two 12v's for two 6v's.
I was the original poster about the battery. Love your solution/modification. Did you make a channel with the 2x2 aluminum strips for the batteries to sit in?
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
the as 22Fb is the only one that has two square kitchen sinks. even the bigger ones only have one round sink
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #40
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The FC23FB and the FC20 have a dual sink too. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	261.4 KB