Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
...it showed up on a gadget blog that I check out every few days.
Okay, you can't put that out there and not share!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Okay, you can't put that out there and not share!
Sorry. It's www.uncrate.com. I have a bit of a gadget problem (nobody tell my wife that I actually admitted to it), so I check RSS feeds from quite a few good gaget sites. Uncrate is not strictly electronics though, and will list all sorts of cool items. Actually, they are partly responsible for me buying an Airstream. They covered the Design Within Reach model, and that got me really into researching AS. They've also covered the Basecamp (which I'd LOVE to have an excuse to own), and the Ford Airstream concept.

I won't get too much more off topic and list the other sites I frequent, but send me a PM if you'd like to know.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #43
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
The interior is quite nice... Look like a boat. I like the back for the exterior.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Sorry. It's www.uncrate.com. I have a bit of a gadget problem (nobody tell my wife that I actually admitted to it), so I check RSS feeds from quite a few good gaget sites. Uncrate is not strictly electronics though, and will list all sorts of cool items. Actually, they are partly responsible for me buying an Airstream. They covered the Design Within Reach model, and that got me really into researching AS. They've also covered the Basecamp (which I'd LOVE to have an excuse to own), and the Ford Airstream concept.

I won't get too much more off topic and list the other sites I frequent, but send me a PM if you'd like to know.
Thanks very much! That mobile bar looks like it was made for Airstreams!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Under EXOTIC cars i tried to buy the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport (color looked like my AS) for only 2.25 mil. , wouldn't take my CC.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #46
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Thanks very much! That mobile bar looks like it was made for Airstreams!
I want one.

Evolution Mobile Bar | Uncrate

Can't have it. $1900 !!!!!

maybe will bring it.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
show.

And hopfully his Bambi will find a new home too.
I would like to know where he traded it in 'cause I NEED it!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hey Airhog1
Don't respond if it will get you in trouble with the factory but......
don't they ever ask your opinion on quality issues? I'm just very curious.
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Dennis,

Yes they do...as most of you here know I have been on the Airstream Dealer Council for the last 3 years. They do ask our opinions in many different ways...phone calls, emails, and surveys. Trust me, it's not like they are just making a product and throwing it out there...they are very concerned about quality control. Is the product perfect...no...but in my opinion they are not turning a blind eye to it either.

As a dealer, we do everything that we can to make our customers happy...I have paid out of my pocket to get repairs done for a customer that was at some SOB dealer since there was no Airstream dealer around...that's just good business...I can't always do that, so don't start calling me tonight!!!....but as many of you here know we really do try...unfortunately there are other dealers out there that are not as passionate about the product as we are...I do think however, there are other dealers that share the same passion we do about the Airstream product... I have been impressed with the way Colonial, George Sutton, and Bill Thomas, just to name a few, represent the Airstream brand.

I have never really had a problem with Airstream Inc. standing behind their product and trying their very best to make it right.

Just my opinion!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Thanks Airhog1
Good honest answer.
It's a shame we don't have dealers like you in Northern California!
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Better dealers make for a better product. I know a lot of buyers expect everything to be perfect but with something essentially hand built I don't think that's possible. But... the closer they get the better I feel. They just need to start using better materials in some cases, like in the sub-floor and galvanized frames would really make me happy. A couple of years ago when all the Classics became Limiteds,they outsourced all the Hickory cabinet work.That was a good move. Whoever they contracted with, does a great job. It's not custom work, but it is the best production work you'll find. They just need to address each problem as it comes up and eliminate it from production.And don't let substandard units out the door.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Better dealers make for a better product. I know a lot of buyers expect everything to be perfect but with something essentially hand built I don't think that's possible. But... the closer they get the better I feel.
I agree. On a recent weekend trip my water heater gave out, and resisted all my efforts to get it going again. I posted a thread on the forums about it and Andy from CanAmRv (where I purchased my AS) contacted me and offered for me to call him directly at 11 pm on a Saturday night for help.

I didn't call him because my wife and baby were already sound asleep, but I appreciated the offer.

I don't expect things to work perfectly, I just expect the dealer and the manufacturer to stand behind their product to iron out the bugs.

The biggest problem is, when something goes wrong you may be hundreds of miles away from the closest AS service centre, let alone you own dealership.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I want one.

Evolution Mobile Bar | Uncrate

Can't have it. $1900 !!!!!

maybe will bring it.
I take no responsibility for any excessive spending that may result from people using the link I provided. ;-)
Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Too bad Eric was so disappointed, but I am surprised that he purchased an ECO. Why? Well, when I look at the ECO website, I see at the bottom, "All Images & Content Copyright 2008 Thor Industries." Hmm, Thor, the parent company of Airstream. If the ECO quality is so superior, perhaps Thor should move some management from ECO to Airstream.

The Paganini model mentioned by Toronto_Guy is made by Tabbert, an old and well-respected German trailer manufacturer (see Tabbert Wohnwagen : Paganini ). Its appearance is a result of competing on the European trailer market which has always had an emphasis on new design. Although the website does not give particulars, it is likely the Paganini does not have blackwater, graywater, and freshwater tanks with anywhere near the capacities demanded by the American RV market.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Unfortunate displeasure with a 16' bambi

Leave the guy alone folks, cause' ya'll know what they say.
"misery loves company". And he's lovin your responses.
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
... Although the website does not give particulars, it is likely the Paganini does not have blackwater, graywater, and freshwater tanks with anywhere near the capacities demanded by the American RV market.
The site does indicate that it's got a 45 l (~11.9 g) fresh water tank. Not a whole bunch!

Lynn
Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thumbs up Wow! If that's not service,

I don't know what is!

Willing to talk at 11 PM... Just that I read your post, and didn't understand if you were happy with your dealer or not.

We just have to talk Andy into moving to Aurora. It's not too far for you Toronto Guys, and would suit me fine! Until then, we'll just blame him for being too far away, OK?

By the way, I know what you're talking about too far away, but hey, you could be a thousand miles from home, and chances are probably slim that you're near any dealer. I don't know what the answer is to that one, 'cause after all, they were made to travel in...

Quote:
I agree. On a recent weekend trip my water heater gave out, and resisted all my efforts to get it going again. I posted a thread on the forums about it and Andy from CanAmRv (where I purchased my AS) contacted me and offered for me to call him directly at 11 pm on a Saturday night for help.

I didn't call him because my wife and baby were already sound asleep, but I appreciated the offer.

I don't expect things to work perfectly, I just expect the dealer and the manufacturer to stand behind their product to iron out the bugs.

The biggest problem is, when something goes wrong you may be hundreds of miles away from the closest AS service centre, let alone you own dealership.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #58
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Airstream needs more competition like this to keep them honest:

Paganini

My wife and I are already looking ahead to a larger trailer when we have our second child, and something like that would actually make me think twice about another brand.
WOWSA!!!! What a RIDE!

Does that TT actually exist, or is it just more design drawings? Yeah, it's not really for sale anywhere, is it?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
The Paganini has some interesting curves about it on the inside... the outside looks familiar on the sides.. (think sob)

The stern has a nice appeal... the interior looks very Euro chic. It made me think of Hans and Franz or Dieter.. and now vee dance.

I see it as being the trailer that the Griswold's neighbors would camp in. (Christmas Vacation)

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
why I chose Airstream

Reading this thread has gotten me to think why I bought the Airstream I did. First and formost when entered the 1988 Limited, it felt comfortable with it's oak cabinets and panoramic windows. The longer I stayed the happier the space made me and my wife. After I plunked down my hard earned cash and brought it home, I began making it mine. During this process I discovered that my dream trailer had a leak issue that caused floor rot, which I had to gut most of the inside to make repairs. Panic set in, and I had some buyers remorse. That was 10 months ago, and now with many hours of work, and a lot of cursing my Airstream is ready to go. During this process I came to realize that anything made by humans will have flaws, but even with those flaws my Airstream makes me feel happy when I am in it. Airstreams in many ways are a state of mind, and if you can see past the flaws you will see the beauty that lies within...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi