Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Kent , Washington
Water on the floor

We just got our 16' sport last August. It is parked in our yard here in the rainy Northwest. It has been winterized, all the windows and vents are shut, and a Dry-Z-Air hung inside. None the less, we found water on the floor when we opened the door. We suspect it is coming in through the vents on the back of the fridge. There was water on the back of the coils etc when we removed the vents. I dried the water and covered the vents with plastic. However, the problem persists when we get a good rain. Any advice?
JoenJan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Leaks can come from any of about 3 dozen sources. If there is any way you can get your 16 under a roof while you deal with this issue, do so. A tent or a tarp strung between two high clothslines will do well enough.

Leaks rarely seem to travel straight down, so you might have a leak around your TV antenna travel forward of aft before heading down. Hands down the best way to spot leaks is with a pressure test. I'll edit and try to add some links, but basically the idea is close everything up, and create higher air pressure inside the Airstream than is outside, while using a spray bottle of dishwashing detergent and water to let the bubbles mark where the leaks are.

You could also start by doing a visual inspection and sealing around bathroom fans, fantastic fan, the TV antenna and skylight if you have one. Anything that's on the roof in other words. Next you start resealing the roof seams, then every screw on the awning, then the tops of the windows then around the top of the door. Oh, and feel every rivet... there might be a loose one (use "creeping crack cure" on those). You had a good thought about the refrigerator vents - just don't forget to take the plastic OFF in the springtime - and check that the gaskets are tight too.

Paula

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ler-50653.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ure-87316.html
Old 12-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I have a 16 sport and I have seen no water on the floor ( yet) I do have a rear window that the window frame fills with water but I go out and remouve it after heavy rain until we get it looked at , you did say your roof vent is closed, also on a previous airstream I had after washing it and aiming water at the side of the roof mounted a.c. Unit ( street side ) I did have water drip into trailer inside from roof mounted a.c. Unit from a normal opening in the a.c. Unit that normaly wouldn't let water in but if it rains hard enough and if blowing sideways could allow water into trailer, as for water on your fridge coils this is normal ,I have heard that if the trailer is parked on a angle it's raining hard and blowing towards the outside fridge vents there can be some water leaking into the trailer not sure if this is true and never happened to me ( so far) .

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is it new(er) and under warranty? If so have them fix it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
My 2005 leaks through the air conditioner too I guess I will have to remove the cover on the outside and look for a place for water to enter . I wonder if spraying some of that clear sealer from Rustoleum where it meets the roof would work ?
Don
I just read in the newspaper that Air Stream is up 8 % this year in sales Hard to believe so few got the message
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I tend to fret over such things, too. After all, the AS wasn't cheap! We found water on the floor from a poorly installed (factory item) water filter. I fixed it by removing it and doing what needed to be done. Future mold was my motivation. No more ... I have determined that it doesn't help the factory keep track of problems if one doesn't take the new AS back to the dealer (who is reimbursed for the work). Where did I get this idea? From the Air Forums. So, like they say ... Get thee to your dealer while you are still under warranty.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #7

2013 16' Sport
Anchorage , Alaska
I too have a 16 sport and live in Alaska. If you have the plastic vents over the refrigerator they are a poor design if trailering in heavy rain or if parked anywhere there is wind blown rain. They scoop water. I fixed my water on the floor problem by purchasing and replacing the vents with the stainless steel upgrade and the problem disappeared.
kateinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Could it be condensation? I thought I had a leak at the skylight, but found that, when it is particularly damp here, it will rain inside the trailer. The part about the coils being wet made me think that when they're not used, get cold and are near the floor they may be a place for water to condense.