Old 05-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Oregon city , Oregon
Water heater on 16 sports only use propain gas

Can if use electricity?

I just dewinterizrr the trailer, tested the water heater, the red light keep turn on until I remembered to turned on the gas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
i don't think there is an electric heating element in this heater. This surprised us as our 2 previous SOB's had one. We did find out the hard way that the water heater bypass valve was not closed after it was dewinterized. Brrrrr... was the shower cold.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Oregon city , Oregon
I forgot to durn off the heater bypass valve too before Winterize. What the bypass valve does? Will it cause any damage?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

Did you drain the water heater when winterizing?
You must have used a lot of antifreeze if you failed to bypass the water heater.
Did you pump antifreeze thru the entire system? Both hot and cold side? To every device including the toilet?
Hopefully you filled the water heater before you fired the burner.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 05-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you fill your plumbing system with anti-freeze the by-pass allows you to isolate the water heater tank from the plumbing. You can then drain the tank and when filling the system with AF you will use much, much less. Probably in the magnitude of 6-8 gallons compared to 1.5 - 2 gal. With all that being said, I drain my tank then blow the plumbing system out with compressed air. I do not use anti-freeze except, of course, in the toilet, shower and sink traps ( about 1 cup each). If you live in parts of the country that get freezing temps and don't have heated inside storage you pretty much got to choose one method or the other. Both have proven to work well.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You must have used a lot of antifreeze if you failed to bypass the water heater.
Did you pump antifreeze thru the entire system? Both hot and cold side? To every device including the toilet?

Our trailer is new so the factory would have winterized it and the dealer dewinterized it. Everything worked as it should other than the shower being lukewarm. That's when I figured out the problem. The bypass valve was turned in such a way that the access door in the closet would not close when the bypass valve was in the off position. I was able to pivot the hose around to relocate the angle of the valve but it produced a drop of water from a fitting on one end of the bypass hose. We are watching it and may have to take it back to the dealer for repair.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Oregon city , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post

First I unscrewed the heater drain plug to get all waters out, then i pluged it back. I then used Camco handpump at the link below
Amazon.com: Camco 36003 Hand Pump Kit: Automotive

pumped 2 botttle of antifreze at the link below
Amazon.com: Camco 30611 RV Antifreeze Concentrate - 36 fl oz (Pack of 2): Automotive

into the water tank, then turned on the pump sucked the antifreeze liquid to the tubes untill I see pink in the toilet and sink.

That is all I did for the winterize as first year trailer owner. Is there anything else I need to do next year? Which step do you need to close the heater bypass valve?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

IMHO. It is not a good idea to put AF in the fresh water tank. It is on very rare occasion that all of the water will be drained from the fresh water tank. Therefor the AF will become diluted and will not provide good protection.
If you do not have a winterizing system installed on the intake of the pump. You should make that modification.
Hopefully you pumped AF into both sinks and the shower as well as the toilet. Plus the P traps in the sinks and shower.
It is much less expensive to buy the RV antifreeze at a big box store or Wal-mart.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Don't forget to run AF thru or blow air thru--the outside shower.