Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Savoy , Texas
We have a 22fb sport. We tow with a 3/4 ton with wd and sway control. 2 months ago we were towing Bambi on a windy day. I had pay attention because I had a lot of sway. When a semi went by it was unnerving. When we got home I checked the torque of the sc. The nut and bolt on one side was loose. I now carry a torque wrench to check each morning before towing.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Interestingly, the last two that I talked with while they were refueling were driving 3/4 ton trucks. One was pulling a 25, the other a 23d.

I also know an TV hauler personally who has a 3/4 ton truck.
At any rate, RV haulers have more truck.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #31
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
This issue is always pertinent. Because, instead off complaining of another thread on the same ole subject review your hitch requirements and set up and make any adjustments you may have overlooked as time slipped by. In January I went to FL to see "lewster" and installed an 800 watt, 600 AH, 3,000 watt solar system. When I left for TX I lowered the bars several inches to compensate for the weight shift of removing 4 batteries, the containers, and the converter, approximately 300#s. We had added the new equipment in the rear under the bed. About 220#s. The panels (were spread out over the roof (120#s). When I left I had some sway at higher speeds, I stopped twice to readjust the bars, but still had the sway. Not bad, but unusual for the Hensley. I later inspected the hitch very closely and found the struts that make the hitch rigid were way too loose and allowed the sway to develop. After adjustment every thing is back to normal with no sway. BTW, Hensley replaced my jacks under their lifetime warranty. It sure in a lot easier to adjust the bars when hitching up now. We should all periodically do detail inspections and fine tune the adjustments. You never now when the situation will push the rig to its limit, or beyond. How about dodging a tractor trailer tire and wheel flying and bouncing across a freeway? Hensley save me on that one. A few days later a fellow camper told me about his friend who was killed that way.
guskmg
Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #32
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Happy Days,

As the nun said, "opinions are like rear ends, they are all different but they all smell the same".

From my first exposure pulling trailers of every different design a bit over fifty years ago on our family ranch to moving oil field equipment to hauling cattle, ATV's, microwave uplinks and communications equipment to two different Airstreams over at least half the US and parts of Northern Mexico, only the Airstreams needed help of sway control or weight shifting equipment.

There are so many variables to consider when pulling a loaded trailer. Load shifting unexpectently, wind loading, surface conditions, driver experience and training, and Murphy's Law all is part of the effort. Every situation is different and is always changing.

One thing is certain, modern Airstream trailers load balancing handle like ripe tubs of cow manure. Without very careful consideration for keeping the trailer weight where it is supposed to be, over the axles, you must either use the contraptions to shift load to the steering gear and drive axles or your in for a really interesting ride.

If you feel comfortable pulling any Airstream travel trailer without all the additional iron to fix the flaw of 1000 pound toung weights, more power to you. It CAN be done. Just like using sway damping, load shifting, axle bending, frame distorting patchwork of contraptions to cause you to have a false sense of security just before you roll your rig off into the barough ditch, lead on. But the bottom line Throuevion truth is only care and experience will keep you and your family safe when pulling any brand or configuration of travel trailer.

Happy Days, you do what you feel comfortable with. Safe travels and happy trails.

J. E. Johnson
President and CEO
Ranch and Storage Management Company, Inc.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
Thank you everyone for your comments. FYI, the AS Sport 22FB's GVWR is 4,500 lbs and the tongue weight is less than 400 lbs. And yes my TV is a fully equipped 2016 Tundra. My TV appears to be more than adequate. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar set up and was confident a hitch modification wasn't necessary.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #34
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
This is copied from chapter 7, page 6 of your owner's manual:
Equipment:
When hitched together, the trailer and the tow vehicle
must be level The tires of both the trailer and tow
vehicle should be in good condition and properly
inflated to their recommended pressures.
Braking is a very important factor in vehicle control
Refer to Brakes (and electronic Brake controller) in
this section
We recommend a friction sway damper or hitch with
built-in sway control be provided for your unit Please
consult your dealer regarding this equipment Also,
refer to Sway control Device in this section for more
information.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamDog View Post
We tow a 20' FC with a half ton and use a WDH because of the 6 or 700 lbs tongue weight. We do not use sway control and have not had a single issue during 49K towing miles. (knock on wood) Our TV has anti-sway built into the truck, but it's never engaged.
Does your wdh have sway built in. What hitch do you use?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #36
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Does your wdh have sway built in. What hitch do you use?
WD all has some sway control, simply by moving the weight back onto the front axle.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I'm talking about sc like Equilizer, Reese have. Yes WD is a form of sc, but is not a built in sc sysrtem as some of the WD hitches have and some don't. Still would like to know the brand of hitch the op has.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #38
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Actual weights are?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. FYI, the AS Sport 22FB's GVWR is 4,500 lbs and the tongue weight is less than 400 lbs. And yes my TV is a fully equipped 2016 Tundra. My TV appears to be more than adequate. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar set up and was confident a hitch modification wasn't necessary.
Hitch or TV receiver?, neither should require any "modification".

Proper adjustment/set-up.....yes. 4500Lb=450lb TW

GVWR is not the same as loaded, ready to camp weight. Adjust to that weight.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I'm talking about sc like Equilizer, Reese have. Yes WD is a form of sc, but is not a built in sc sysrtem as some of the WD hitches have and some don't. Still would like to know the brand of hitch the op has.
In post #1, the OP clearly states he does not have any of any kind.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Cool about the op, but part of my comment was in reference to your comment about WD as a means of sc. I agree with you, but one is better off with a WD hitch with built in sc or separate sway units. I enjoy your input. Thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 01:02 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We tow our 22 FB with a Honda Ridgeline w/o a WDH or SC. For long trips, I fill the water tank to lower the center of gravity and lessen the impact of crosswinds and speeding semi trucks. Fully loaded with gear and water, my trailer weighs 3,820 lbs which is well within the 5000 lb. limit of the Ridgeline. The only time my 22 FB gets squirrelly behind me is when I get above 70 mph so I just set the cruise for 65 and enjoy seeing the things I don't notice driving 20 mph faster when I'm in my car.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Although I was one to observe professional delivery services haul "on the ball" only, as Mike Hony correctly points out, they have more truck than most of us. Also their trailers are completely unloaded--no water, propane; nothing. Personally, I think a WDH with sway control is a must have for all but the smallest/lightest trailers and maybe even then if the TV is a small, light car. It's s defense against the unknown than can happen on the highway, and a trailer with a lot of added weight that may not be perfectly balanced.

I'm a fan of getting everything working for you that I can.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote