Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Very slight water leak from both sides of tank-side wheel well

I have a 2010 19' Flying Cloud Bambi that I just got out of storage in January after being in storage for two years. I've been using it on an extended camping session for the past month, and so far I'm impressed with how well things are working (I have some time off so I am planning to camp for the next few months). One thing that concerns me is that when I'm using water faucets and I look outside under the trailer, there is a very small leak in two places (evident via slight moisture on the ground on two sides of the tank-side wheel well). On the other hand, if I leave the trailer for the day with all faucets closed, there is no water evident on the ground when I get back.

I've never dealt with water leaks before: is this something that a mobile RV repair person could fix, or do water leaks require more extensive shop work?
kayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sounds like a drain pipe problem. Put some food coloring in a few gallons of water and put a different color down each drain. See what color drips out bottom.

If I had to make a guess, I bet you have waste gate trouble at the gray tank. The water is going into the belly pan and finding it's way out where it can....Been there. Done that. Last summer, I had to replace both waste gates.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Thanks, CRH. Is this a difficult fix? I'm trying to figure out if I should take the trailer in to an Airstream-specific repair person (these are harder to find in Southern California) or if I can call any RV repair person to work on it.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The adapters between my dump valves and the waste tanks had cracked. The fix wasn't hard. First, I consulted my owners manual. It said when the dump valves had to be serviced the fix was to cut an access hole in the belly pan. I did that. I ordered new valves and adapters. I bought 3" PVC from the hardware store. Replacing the valves was easy. Afterwards, I made a access panel out of an old street sign to cover the hole I had to cut. My total repair cost was under 200 bucks....if that is your problem, any handy person can do the repair.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
If the leak is confirmed to be from his dump valve, I would suggest that someone who has "never dealt with water leaks before" not tackle the described repair without some help.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I hadn't dealt with it until I did it.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Yes, most of us tackle many different jobs for the first time. And it's a great way to learn about your rig. Maybe I focused to much on this part of his post:

"I've never dealt with water leaks before: is this something that a mobile RV repair person could fix, or do water leaks require more extensive shop work?"

It seemed his first inclination was to seek out someone to fix this.

I think those of us who take on a new job, often build upon the knowledge we gained from earlier tasks. In this case, things like knowing what tool to use to cut through the sheet steel and how to control it with enough precision so as not to puncture the tank above.

Maybe he is "handy" enough, and I'm being over protective. Maybe.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Niagara Falls , New York
Check the water in hose connection. On the inside there is a regulator, with a screw on fitting. It will leak on to the wheel house.

Slickfoot
Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I second Silver Lining's diagnosis. I've had the built in regulator fail a couple of times and those are the symptoms. It's an easy fix,make sure the city water is off, remove the hose accessible from under the bathroom sink, remove the 4 screws on the outside and the whole unit pops out. Clean up the sealant, install the new City Water Inlet, reseal and reconnect the hose inside. It's a $40.00 part and will take you about an hour (less the second time).
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Kayt, come on back. Let us know what the source of the leak was.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
I am hooked up to city water at a new park and didn't see any leaks today. A repair person who came by to fix something else said he thought the leak might have been caused by high pressure water at another park. He suggested getting a water pressure regulator for the hose. If that doesn't work I'll try replacing the inlet built in regulator as suggested.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Earlier you noted the leak only occurred when you ran water down the drains, and did not occur when the rig was just sitting. That doesn't seem to fit with a leak caused by high water pressure.

Another intermittent leak mystery....
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayt View Post
I am hooked up to city water at a new park and didn't see any leaks today. A repair person who came by to fix something else said he thought the leak might have been caused by high pressure water at another park. He suggested getting a water pressure regulator for the hose. If that doesn't work I'll try replacing the inlet built in regulator as suggested.
Leave the inlet be as it is.

Install a water pressure regulator at the faucet that you hook the hose to.

In that way, you protect the hose and the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote