Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Two batteries or One

We have a 2015 sport and don't have the TV to bring along a generator. So, is it worth bringing two batteries instead? I'm wondering how much longer they last when you have two rather than one. We would need it for dry camping and or boon docking.
If anyone out there has tried two I'd like to hear how they worked. Also how did you store them in the trailer.

Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Said simply, two batteries last twice as long as one. They also weigh and cost twice as much. Actually, a bit more as they need connections and a place to live. There are better batteries that weigh less, provide more power/Amp Hours, but cost more. There are suitcase solar systems that can charge your battery if the sun is out. If you drive between campsites, your TV will charge your AS battery. Verify your setup works this way. Some TV do not or need a fuse installed to connect the circuit.

There are lots of folks with different solutions. Research and you will find one that works for you. Not using some systems when you camp can be very cost effective, it just may not be how you camp. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Small, suitcase style genny can be carried in the trailer...
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You can boondocks with one certainly 2 are a lot better. I am surprised your 2015 only has one. You can extend your ability to run off 12v by replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

For charging, as mentioned above a 1000w small benny does not take up much room. The other alternative is solar.

Don't run your battery too far down. It will shorten the battery life.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
You'll have to figure your power usage.
Our Safari has one weak old battery and we made it through a NASCAR weekend with only a small portable solar panel. The battery was fully charged by noon each day.
We didn't use much power, just led lights and water pump. Did all our cooking with propane and didn't watch tv or use the inverter for anything.
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
two batteries

I have a 2010 16ft International and added a second battery. I had my dealer fabricate a bracket to hold both batteries where one had previously been located. Also installed a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. I dry camp 100% of the time and have not had any problems. Last summer, I also replaced the interior light bulbs with LED's.

The only negative I am aware of is the added tongue weight. I'm a happy camper!
BudE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Here is a thought....I think the weights of a new heavy duty battery and of a 2,000W Honda generator (or Yamaha equivalent) are not that far apart. For $999 you would have a generator (buy the Companion model to get the correct plug) to take care of all your needs (other than the AC). Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Big Air: When I gutted my 1951 Caravanner I planned sustainable alternatives for (1) light (2) water pump (3) ceiling vent fan (4) furnace fan (5) radio/tv or other power plug (6) cook top exhaust fan. (7) 12v refrigerator as may apply (8) propane spark ignition. You might want to consider/think about: Propane/kerosene/candle/ 4 D cell LED lanterns for light. Water in milk jugs. Wind powered turbine attic venting - like houses - you flip over your vent covers when stationary. Heat with convection via wood/kerosene and use thermoelectric fan TEF-111 Entertainment devices carry own power supply. Do not use cooktop exhaust fan. Build your own "ice chest" w/ double layer styrofoam. Make hot water on a modified turkey fryer Get rid of 20 pound propane bottle and mount generator there ( as I did w/ 3500 Btu electric start dual fuel one) and use point source 1 pound refillable propane bottles. Use matches/grill lighter wand.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Big Sir: 1958 Caravanner not 1951- not that that makes much difference~~~
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master
BBU said to use milk jugs for water

Used water jugs are better to use than used milk jugs.

This coming from the government, when advising people how to store water for an emergency.

They said that it was next to impossible to clean the milk jugs well enough to prevent bacteria from turning the milk jugs into a petrie dish.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Small, suitcase style genny can be carried in the trailer...
A Yamaha or Honda 1000 is typically under 30 pounds. I agree w/Tex.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
I have a 2016 Sport 22FB that came with one Interstate SRM Group 24 battery. I did quite a bit of research on batteries and for various reasons want to add a small "inverter" to my trailer. One battery plus an inverter really isn't a good combination. I also have a 120 Watt GoPrower solar system and a 1800/2200 watt Ryobi Generator. Because of medical reasons we have only used campground power but I wanted to get away from that. I live in western Montana and State and Federal Campgrounds have limits as to when you can use your Yellowstone...8 to 10, Noon to 2, 5 PM to 7. So Solar is a great combination if you have sunshine but here in the mountains because of the trees and sun angles it can limit charging time. So the best bet is to go with two batteries.

Since my trailer is only a month old it wasn't a problem to simply add a 2nd battery of like kind. If your battery is more than a year you really need to start over with two identical fresh batteries. If you don't you will "kill" the new one quickly based upon my research.

My cost for the upgrade was as follows:
Interstate Group 24 battery (with core charge) $140, addition battery box $10, battery cables $20, other misc items $20. Using scrape building materials I was able to build a new pedestal for the two battery boxes. Like the original set up they sit right behind the Propane tanks.

Like others have said I doubted my battery capacity up to 140 Amp Hours.

By the way there are some excellent YouTube videos on this subject if you haven't already checked them out. Here is a link to one of them. Although it covers the subject of wiring the comment section is very good as to other related issues.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Update on my 2 battery upgrade

The increase in Amp Hrs doubled from 75 Amp/Hrs to 150 and not 140 as previously stated.
Here are two pics:
1. Close up of new pedestal
2. Finished project.
I fabricated the new pedestal from 2 x 6 scrap lumber and marine grade plywood. If any one wants details PM me.

Hope this is helpful to anyone wanting to add a 2nd battery to a Sport 22FB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery pedistall.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	262034   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 2 battry .jpg
Views:	62
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	262035  

Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
We added a second battery to our 16ft, but after adding one 55 watt solar panel to roof took out the 2 batteries and replaced with one AGM under the bed to reduce tongue wt. Worked great, several days off grid were fine; tanks were the limit.

We own a 1000watt Honda, but really appreciated not having noise and trouble of generator with us. Others appreciate it also!

Now have new 22FB, all LED, so the two 100 watt solar and one group 27 AGM battery (same one, now 5 yrs) carry us indefinitely off grid, even in mostly shaded conditions since our 200 watts are overkill.

Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote