Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
TV for your 22’ Sport? What and why?

Curious to hear from 22’ Sport owners about your TV and your experience with it. The good, the bad.
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Our 22' Sport is a 2008 model which has a lounge across from the galley. This makes for convenient viewing of the TV. (I often stretch out with pillows to watch TV while the wife reads in the front queen bed. We permanently converted the fwd dinette to queen bed and eat on the lounge using folding TV tables which we store between bed and galley sink.)
Later models have a dinette across from the galley and I presume is also comfortable for viewing, as is the bed.

The original TV was Analog so we replaced it with HD/Digital unit. It's 120v power cord incorporated a "brick" whose label revealed it to be a 12VDC television. This made it convenient to simply use the 12VDC outlet above the refer. I modified the plug to allow both TV and a Sony DVD/BluRay player to run off the 12V outlet. It ouputs to TV via HDMI cable. In that fashion we can view TV, movies, etc. even when running off the ship's battery. We've done so on 4-5 day boondocking without problem with our ordinary lead-acid deep-cycle Group 27 battery from WalMart. We did re-charge at the end of day 4 using a generator for two hours supplying 120 volts thru the shore-power cord and the WFCO converter the Sport came with courtesy of the OEM, although we've also boondocked for a similar period while connected to the tow vehicle and did not recharge. (We may not have needed to in the first mentioned event... I just did so to be nice to the battery.)

The new TVs small speaker did not have sufficient audio volume to please me so I also added an external speaker-box which connects to the TV via the headphone outlet. The unit selected was intended for teen-agers MP3 players/Boom-boxes and is powered thru the TV headphone outlet.

WE use the original unmodified crank-up Winegard antenna supplied by Airstream.
Admittedly we don't watch a lot of TV when camping, and are accustomed to over-the-air at home as well, where (40 miles west of Austin) we receive 27+ channels out of Austin, Waco, Llano, and San Antonio, including CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and others.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote