Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Bambi and camping without hookups

This was the first trip we did not have any hookups for several nights.
We had a fresh water can, 12 gallon blue boy waste tote (basic one from Camping world under $100), and a generator 2000 Honda.

Here are some things we did/tips you might like yourself.

We got a 5 gallon jerry style fresh water can from Amazon. We chose the Scepter brand as other brands had reviews that mentioned leaks. We are happy with the Scepter can. As I am not that tall, I found that it was easier to fill the can half to ⅔ full (so it weighed a bit less and had more air in it), and make a couple of extra trips to the water faucet. Fresh tank holds 20 gallons, so if 4 of us needed to shower we wanted to start with a full tank. Luckily the faucet was fairly close to our campsite.

For draining the gray tank, we got that Valterra fitting that fits on the Airstream where you hook up your dump hose, and then lets you attach a garden hose. We then put the blueboy about 8-10 feet away and downhill from the dump valve. When the tank sensor said the gray tank was 25 -30 percent full we would drain it. (basically 2 showers or lots of dishes and 1 shower)

This way the tote only was half full, had no danger of overfilling, and the weight was easier to manage. We had attached a secondary strap to the blue boy on the end where the wheels are to give a way to lift from both ends. (per Protagonist's suggestion, I used a double loop) I used the strap part of a ratchet tie down, just because I had one available. Worked very well. Using the molded handle on one end, and the strap on the other allowed for easier lifting of the tote.

This was a bit of a daily chore, but was better than the alternative of a 20-30 minute drive to a campground with pay showers.

In the Tetons, our campground had the pay showers so we just used those since they were right there. Some may complain about the extra $5 per person for a daily shower. In my way of thinking, the campground fee was not very much money, and if you wanted to shower you paid for it, and if you didn't you didn't pay for it, so extremely fair.

We ran the generator a few hours each day both places to keep up the battery.

We have used the water jerry can at other camping trips since we got it. I like it a lot, as it allows us to bring along "city water" for drinking and the dog for weekends.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Piggy Bank: We were in Grand Teton and Yellowstone in June and also saw many old and new Airstreams, including a Pendleton in Yellowstone which we thought was very cool.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
This was the first trip we did not have any hookups for several nights.
. . .
Thanks for this thread, and for the report on your older thread. We have similar size trailers so hearing about your coolers, fresh water jug, grey water tote, and other details has been very helpful. We ended up getting a Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel generator which has been great, and has plenty of watts to charge our batteries, and keep the fridge running on electric for a couple of hours FYI. No gas to deal with, and only 27 pounds!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- The other thread FYI: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-136645.html
Old 07-15-2016, 05:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you've had a great trip.

We bought 2 1/2 gallon solar showers for our Rocky Mountin trip some years back, and found those very handy for shampoos outside, which cut back considerably on water usage in the shower.

They can be filled anywhere, and warm nicely in the sun.

I keep a small container of dry creamer for cream emergencies...I can drink my coffee black, I just don't want to.

It will last for years.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Sounds like you've had a great trip.

We bought 2 1/2 gallon solar showers for our Rocky Mountin trip some years back, and found those very handy for shampoos outside, which cut back considerably on water usage in the shower.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

Regarding the solar showers, in bear areas (like Yellowstone) they will now allow any gray water on the ground (including just emptying the water from your cooler), so using a solar shower on the ground would not be allowable in a campground. If you were dispersed camping, you could certainly use one at a safe parameter distance from your rig.

In some parks now (I know in Rocky Mountain National Park), they have actually built shower stalls with no plumbing, but with drains, that are specifically designed to be used with personal solar showers. Idea is that you fill your shower bag, let it heat up, and then use it in the "dry shower" and the water drains into a sewer/septic area that can be managed.

I think that is a pretty good compromise between NO showers in a campground and the space and expense and environmental impact of shower construction and management in the wilderness.

I felt so sorry for the woman (not sure where she was from) I met camping in Yellowstone who did not speak English well using a bowl and the cold running water in the bathroom to wash her face, hands, and feet and socks and undies out. You could just tell she had not been prepared for the time there with no shower or hot water.

Piggy Bank
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Of course, I wasn't thinking about the bears.

In those areas, they are pretty clear about no water of any kind on the ground.

We were in remote sites, and filled our solar showers from whatever was available, including beautiful, clear, rushing mountain rivers, and they were very handy.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Question on your Sceptre water container.

Do you have some type of hose that attaches to the water container? How are you getting the water into the trailer tank?
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Question on your Sceptre water container.

Do you have some type of hose that attaches to the water container? How are you getting the water into the trailer tank?

We have the 5 gallon water jerry can. We just lifted it up and poured it directly into the fresh water holding tank. It has a spout that attaches to it that is about 9 -10 inches long and is somewhat bendable. It has a spout that is not round, but almost round with a secondary smaller tube to allow air back into the can. (some gas cans have this too.)

If full it weighs around 45-50 pounds. And so it's easier for 2 people to do the pouring.

Since I am shorter, and had plenty of time, I found that if I filled it up from the faucet about ⅔ full, that it was easier to pour, and that I could do it alone. Just required a few more trips to the water spout.

Piggy Bank