Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Collegeville , Pennsylvania
Traveling with front dinette table up... OK??

Question for owners of Airstream Sport 16RB... Does anyone travel long distances with the table up and if you do ….. Do you protect the floor from the table leg so it does not wear a hole there

BTempone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Table up travel

We always leave the table up when traveling. First in our 2017 23D and now in our 2019 FC 25. You will want to put an extra pad of some sort under the table leg. We use a piece of 1/4" thick yoga mat folded over for double thickness. A small square will do.

On another note we use the yoga mat material to line our cabinets and drawer bottoms. About $8.00 for a nice mar at Wally World. Does a great job of keeping things in place. Happy travels.

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Thanks, is your table connected to the wall and swings down for a bed. The leg swings up. so what I am confirming is that the leg would be on the vinyl floor. So you travel with the padding under the leg. Correct? I just wanted to be sure of this since I have a 16RB and yours is a different trailer.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Our trailer is a 1956 with a side dinette...so of course it's a whole different animal than the one you are inquiring about, but we NEVER travel with our dinette table up, we always lay it down.

The reason is when we did our restoration several years ago, we removed all the interior skins. And much to our surprise, we discovered we had two broken ribs where the table bracket was mounted under the window! (So that's why there were so many holes in that panel and the whole thing seemed kinda wobbly!) We don't want to risk recreating that scenario - IMO the table is much better supported when in the "down" position than bouncing along the road cantilevered off the wall.

A couple of pictures are worth a thousand words...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0513.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	343590   Click image for larger version

Name:	0510.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	343591  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Dear BT,
I have the exact model AS 16RB you do, so I can compare with your concerns. We have taken ďMiss RivetsĒ on 3 month-long trips and many, many short hops. The experience on the road has been valuable, as well as connecting with fellow Airstreamers.
When we first purchased the 16er, we had some of the same concerns as you, including the potential of the table leg leaving an indentation on the floor while moving. We nearly always travel with the table up and ready to use for supper at the end of the day. I am happy to report that we have had no damage to the flooring. However, I do have a narrow carpet runner that begins from under the dinette and extends across in front of the bathroom door. The carpet runner mainly serves to keep the dust and dirt down for the comfort of bare feet. The runner may also cushion the weight load placed on the table leg.

I hope this helps, enjoy the journey and keep asking questions.
Sandy
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTempone View Post
Thanks, is your table connected to the wall and swings down for a bed. The leg swings up. so what I am confirming is that the leg would be on the vinyl floor. So you travel with the padding under the leg. Correct? I just wanted to be sure of this since I have a 16RB and yours is a different trailer.
Yep, same set up. Put the square of folded yoga mat right under the table leg. We also have a 24' wide x 8' long carpet runner that runs under the table. So for us, we have the carpet and the yoga pad. Not sure you could put a runner in your 16'. The yoga padding should be ok by itself. We traveled that way for a year before adding a runner.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Coeur d Alene , Idaho
The dinette in our FC19 has a table similar to yours. We found a dog bed that's about 3/8" thick that is somewhat similar to the Thermorest backpacking pads. It is exactly the right size to fit under our dinette and not only provides a great place for the dog to sleep, it keeps the floor clean AND provides a cushion for the table leg to sit on so it doesn't touch the vinyl flooring. Thus we have never felt a need to put our table down.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-Ou...gateway&sr=8-5

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
We placed a rubber furniture floor protector under our table leg to protect floor. The lip on the floor protector keeps it in place under the table leg.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
I just wanted to thank everyone for the quick replies. Bruce