Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Travel with some water in the black tank?

I am headed to Colorado next week and I am wondering if I should add 5 gallons of water to the black tank for traveling/agitation. Would that serve any purpose?
All tanks are empty now..
Can I also run the refrigerator while I'm traveling to pre cool.[empty of course]. It always take forever to cool down from a start up.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We always travel with the frig running. We also always add a few gallons of water to the black tank when we start out along with our tank treatment. We "add" to it as we travel, since we use the trailer for pit stops. Sloshing water in the black tank probably helps to loosen anything in the tank...

Kay

Old 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Refrigerator will stay cold much better when full. I suggested pre-cooling before departure and running it during travel while full.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Good advice from both. Don't forget to add some to the fresh water tank also. You may want to wash your hands or flush the toilet while traveling. My wife prefers "her" bathroom while traveling. Also if possible pre-cool/freeze everything that you want to put in fridge.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I think the black tank should always have some water in it. You can never get the tank completely empty. If you allow residue to dry out, it will be hard to remove later. After dumping I like to add a few gallons of water and tank treatment before storage. Black tank capacity has never been our problem, so starting out with a few gallons in the tank will not have any impact on our dump schedule.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Typically we usually have at least a gallon of water in the black tank along with a normal dose of the enzyme tank additive. We normally add that after we do the final dump of the black tank. On the ensuing campout we add another dose of tank additive upon arrival to the designation. This keeps the tank clean and any residual solids have the enzymes working on them. We will carry about 5 gallons or less of fresh water so that we can use the and flush the toilet while traveling. Typically we avoid use of the toilet on our final day of travel since we have dumped it out and have the enzyme treatment added to a gallon or so of water.

During normal summer temperatures we precool the fridge about 24 hours prior to departure from home, then we load up and then travel with the gas on.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Believe a small quantity of water in black, grey, and fresh water tanks is a good idea. That water dilutes the load as it builds. The fresh is needed for washing and flushing as noted by others. We run the flush hose for about 30 seconds after closing the black dump valve. That is not possible with the grey tank. So washing hands after is a good idea.

Unlike others, we do not carry a loaded black tank to agitate and break up the contents before dumping. We dump before moving on for the day. Time will tell if this approach is appropriate.

Good luck with your coach. Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Unlike others, we do not carry a loaded black tank to agitate and break up the contents before dumping. We dump before moving on for the day. Time will tell if this approach is appropriate.

Good luck with your coach. Travel safe. Pat
I don't carry a loaded black tank either unless we have no disposal facility available. I won't carry any full holding tank unless the campground we are at has no fresh water or disposal facilities.

I won't dump the holding tanks on an overnight stay if I'm on the way to a destination campground. You do need to dump that black tank as full as possible to make sure the debris in the tank are carried out during the dump.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , Arizona
I like to put a 10 lbs. bag of ice in the black tank before heading out and then again after a dump. The cubes seem to do a fairly good job of scrubbing the inside while you roll down the road until they melt, then you have a couple of gallons of water in the tank to start out with.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great idea on the ice cubes in the black tank. I've seen restaurants use crushed ice to scrub the inside of coffee pots with success.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Ice Not Effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66 View Post
I like to put a 10 lbs. bag of ice in the black tank before heading out and then again after a dump. The cubes seem to do a fairly good job of scrubbing the inside while you roll down the road until they melt, then you have a couple of gallons of water in the tank to start out with.
Here is a link to a good video by The Fit RV on the subject of using ice. He did an extensive test and found that, surprisingly, using ice cubes to clean black tanks is not very effective.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks to all for the educational posts..that's how we learn...sharing experience. Really helps.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Using ice cubes appears to be an internet myth. Save the ice for cold refreshment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Here is a link to a good video by The Fit RV on the subject of using ice. He did an extensive test and found that, surprisingly, using ice cubes to clean black tanks is not very effective.

This guy does some interesting reviews. He did one using different devices to clean holding tanks. It was pretty revealing that some highly thought of devices are not too effective.

Jack

AIR #56