Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Trailer Valet on Bambi Sport

I was wondering if anyone has used a "Trailer Valet" on a Bambi Sport, and if so what they thought.
Amazon.com: Trailer Valet V211 Silver Tongue Jack Dolly: Automotive
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Interesting first time I've seen one. If you purchase please post an update.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I purchased a Trailer Valet last year and it is a total lifesaver for me. I have a very tight spot to move my trailer in and out of and I love using the Trailer Valet instead of the struggles I encountered when using the truck. I totally recommend it!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
I have a 2015 16' and love my Trailer Valet. I live up a steep driveway with a small flat spot by the garage. To get my trailer by the house and be able to open the door I have to drive the row vehicle into the garage, trailer attached, and then unhook the trailer, spin it and move it about 20 ft. To exit I have to put the tow rig in the driveway starting on the downhill angle and pull the trailer out and spin it around in the driveway to hook it up and tow it down the hill. There is simply no way I could park my AS by the house without the Trailer Valet.
Attaching it was a little interesting with my anti-sway hitch parts on the a-frame along with batteries, propane, and rf trailer brake module. I wound up using some metal bar to make spacers so the mount straddles the anti sway bracket. This does mean that for certain angles I have to lift the front a little higher with the crank to get the wheels and mechanism to clear the hanging anti-sway bracket.
With the longer moves being hunched over to crank can get a little tiring but for what it does for a few hundred dollars it is well worth it.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Trailer Valet

Poseidon....any chance you can post a photo of the bar that you used as a spacer so you can accomodate the sway bars? I have a tight space to work with also and am interested in what you have done.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I could of used one of these on my Bambi II to get it in and out of the backyard. It looks like it could easily be motorized. Unfortunately it might be a bit wimpy for the 23 Safari.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
These things are great. I have 2 that I use on my 25ft (due to the tongue weight issue), it helps me get through the 9ft gate on my driveway.

Highly recommended.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Two? How do you crank and turn them?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Poseidon,
I think I might have the same issues with the sway bars. I too would like to see some photos to see what you've done to fix that problem. Also, did you attach the trailer mount in the high or low vertical position?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I employ the aid of a good friend!!! It only costs me a couple of beers
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I employ the aid of a good friend!!! It only costs me a couple of beers
Can you post a photo of the pair installed?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Home parking issues too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has used a "Trailer Valet" on a Bambi Sport, and if so what they thought.
Amazon.com: Trailer Valet V211 Silver Tongue Jack Dolly: Automotive
I'm so glad you posted this question! We have a 20'FC that we are struggling to find a good way to keep at our house. Our driveway is extremely narrow and somewhat steep with a small flat space at the very top, where two cars can fit in front of the detached stucco garage. Other obstacles are the backyard fence, our stucco house, short backyard and neighbors property. The driveway is plenty long enough and the dog leg right is a good size & flat driveway area - to fit the trailer. Just too tight to make the turn into it, 90 degrees.

We love our old 1930s Tudor style home, which we have lived in for over 20 year and just finished renovating to our taste...but have been considering selling if we can't park our FC. Maybe this thread can help us crack the code to successfully park! We also have considered ripping down the backyard fence to help gain more space for turning, but it's not really gaining us anything.
Pulling into the garage with the tv & using a trailer valet may be a good option! Please keep the ideas coming - you may be helping us stay in our beloved home.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
A photo showing how it fit on your 16' Bambi Sport would be helpful. I have interest but not sure how it would fit with my Equal-i-zer Sway control hitch.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I originally posted the question about the viability of using a “Trailer Valet” on our 16’ Sport Bambi. It lists for about $300 but our local trailer store had them for $150.00. I figured at that price it was worth a shot and the dealer was willing it take it back if it didn’t work. (He has since sold out of them but informed me that freeway trailer.com bought up his supply and now sells them - cheaper than elsewhere but more expensive than his store).
Here’s what I did to make it work: (I'll pictures once I figure out how to do that. The forum wants an http and I thought I could just copy and paste them)
IMPORTANT:!!!!!!!
I do not, and did not plan to, tow with the Trailer Valet attached. I attach the Valet jack when I need it and take it off when I am done. The reason is that the Sport clearance is so low that scraping and damaging the unit was very likely. The bracket though remains on the frame at all times.

(1) Which side of the trailer?
At first I had it on the curb side but after thinking it through, saw that the bracket would block access to the spare tire jack. I now have it on the driver’s side.
(2) WD Sway control Issues:
I found I needed a spacer to allow the wheel to swing without hitting the Sway Bar/WD brackets. The handle also bumped up against the gas container too much. I went to our local metal plant and bought a 10 inch long (It could have been 7” but I wanted a bit of extra) by 3.5”x 3.5” metal spacer. ($10.00) (Aluminum would have been lighter but they didn’t have that size).
To attach the spacer I bought a U-Shaped bracket. I then attached the spacer to the trailer bar. I could have had it welded on but I wasn’t sure how permanent I wanted this to be. The U-bracket bracket works fine, especially since the trailer valet bracket reenforces it.
I now needed longer bolts. The Valet comes with 4” bolts, I bought 7”.
High or Low Trailer Valet Bracket Mount?
The Low was too low and the High was too high. In the High mount I didn’t like how far off the ground the wheel was and I had to extend the jack way too far for my comfort. I was sure something would break with it extended that far. Too low and I couldn’t get the wheels under the trailer.
My solution: I have a Fastway Fast Jack. I raise the trailer with that until the Valet wheels swing down. I then lower the Fast Jack until the Valet Jack takes over. When taking it off, I raise the Valet jack until the Fast Jack drops and I can swing the Valet horizontally or take it off. I then lower the Fast Jack to level where I want. I do leave the Trailer Valet attached when parked and take it off (the wheel jack part only) when towing.
Usage:
Having to extend the jack as little as possible makes a huge difference. The manual says to lower the jack to its lowest hight. I agree.
I’ve as yet only moved the trailer around my driveway and it seems to work well. I can’t speak to how well it would perform on gravel, grass, or dirt.
My wife and I are committed to learning to backup and maneuver the trailer using the TV. However, in the Sport 16 the beautiful wrap-around windows often face wherever the back of the Tow Vehicle faces. Sometimes the most beautiful views - lake facing a lake - are out the bedroom window and there is no room to park any different. I’m hoping the Trailer Valet will allow me to turn my Airstream around 180 so that the dining windows will face away from the roadway.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Here are a few pictures. Sorry they are shaky phone pics.
For the spacers I used some steal I had on hand and was at first just test fitting and seeing how it works so I didn't paint them. I got busy and forgot to go back and take it all apart and paint them so they are rusting. I will add that to my to do list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-03 09.58.32r.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	240185   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-03 10.03.15r.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	240186  

Name:	2015-06-03 09.57.52r.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	240187  
Old 06-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
2nd Attempt at Photos

Here are the photos of my setup (I hope they post)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	240196   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	240197  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	240198  
Old 06-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but: is this thing motorized? Because I don't see any way that I could manhandle my 22'.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nope. Two speed hand crank. And it's only able to handle a 500 pound load. My 22 is heavier on the tongue than that. Sigh. I thought it was a cheaper solution than a power dolly.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Bend , Oregon
If it is being towed in a fairly flat and good traction area I wouldn't worry about the 500lb limit. You could always try to swap the tires/inner tubes for solid ones.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
I just ordered a trailer valet for my 2013 16' Sport and would love to see the photos of the mounting modifications. They are not showing up for some reason -- none of the photos from Poseidon or tjwoods1.Possible to send via private message, or re-post?

thank you! Caroline
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote