Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Towing mirror: can see following cars directly behind the trailor?

This is my 1st trailer, and I have no experience in towing before.

Recently I bought a towing mirror: Amazon.com: Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror: Automotive, I was expecting to use it to see the cars behind my 16' bambi.

However, I'm not sure if it's my bambi too "fat" then my TV(durango), or technically this kind if mirror doesn't feature the ability to cover the directly behind area. I basically can't see nothing of my own line behind my trailer.

Any suggestion on the towing mirrors to let me see what's going on behind me?
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
With all due respect. Your side view mirrors will never be able to see behind your AS. They are designed to see along side of your trailer. The extension is so that you can compensate for the additional width of the trailer. There ae many rear mounted cameras that can accomplish seeing behind the trailer.

>>ron<<
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Think of the size of the blind spot behind a semi truck and trailer. You have a similar one. The only way to see DIRECTLY behind your trailer is to use a rear mounted camera of some sort.

Towing requires a different mindset and skill set than regular driving. One of those being more aware of traffic coming up on you. They will "hide" behind the trailer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There is another way… Buy a vintage trailer. I can look right through my window and out the back window. I can see what is going on behind me and what is going on inside the trailer since I do not have a big black piece of plastic covering my front window.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
There is another way… Buy a vintage trailer. I can look right through my window and out the back window. I can see what is going on behind me and what is going on inside the trailer since I do not have a big black piece of plastic covering my front window.
Yep, this was one of the original design elements of Airstreams. Theoretically, even our '95 can do it (it's a straight shot through the trailer), but: The rock guard would have to be removed, and the blinds and shades on both front and back windows have to be open. I've done the latter, and I can barely see headlights through the rock guard, but that's about it. I don't bother with it.

For the OP: You get used to not being able to see back there - aside from backing up, there's not much need to see directly behind the trailer; you can't do anything about someone back there anyway. Also, they shouldn't be following you that closely, but of course that's what plenty of drivers do these days, because apparently their theory is, "If I can't see danger, there must not be any."

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some states have a requirement as to how close you have to be able to see the road behind you. I think in Fl it is three hundred feet? Can't remember exactly. That's just to be legal. Most addon mirrors will do that. Might be one hundred feet to be legal. Be wary of tail gators but don't let them distract you to the point of making a mistake. Think of your driving first, you have control of that. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I got tired Of waiting for the bend in the road to see what was behind me. I bought a rearview camera and its a whole new world- no blind spot at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I got tired Of waiting for the bend in the road to see what was behind me. I bought a rearview camera and its a whole new world- no blind spot at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Say if I bought a rear view camera, I don't need side mirror extension any more?

Any rear view camera you suggest? So you have a separate LCD to mount on the dash for the camera, right?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Thanks Guys, I think I do need a camera now, since I really want to know my behind's world.

For instance, I was told I should keep under 50mph for the first 500miles towing. And I was driving on a one lane highway with speed limit for 60mph. I need to know when I need to turn out to let behind drivers pass and make them not that angry. :-)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Usually there are enough bends in the road to see when traffic is building up behind you. And here in the NW, there are often plenty of scenic overlooks to pull off and let traffic go by

There have been times I thought a camera would be a pretty nice addition. There are a few threads on here detailing people's installs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Doesn't need to be vintage; there are many models that have front and rear windows in line ... just that the dark solar acrylic protection makes it difficult. Remove the protectors and we can see all the way back on ours.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta

I use a Voayger wireless camera. The mirrors give you some information but having a view directly behind me and down the road is invaluable. People occasionally hang-out in my wake (blind spot) and it's nice seeing what is going on back there all the time. Also, I don't use the camera to backup/park but it has a microphone that is very helpful for my wife to give directions (back there) that I can hear in the cabin. While towing I just mute the speaker.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
A rear view camera is probably not going to allow you to see whether or not you have proper clearance to merge into an adjacent lane (especially in heavy traffic)...or clearance to make a tight turn. You must have proper mirror extensions to see down the side of your Airstream...and then use them to make sure you have proper clearance. You will also need the mirror extensions to properly back your AS around any number of obstacles...trees, bushes, telephone poles, garbage cans...etc..etc. In my opinion, a rear view camera is one more distraction while driving ...and provides information that you don't really need while traveling down the highway. As stated already, there is nothing you can do about the car or truck directly behind you....other than to pull off the road if they are too close. Just as the big rigs move to one side or the other of their respective lane in order to see what is behind them, you should be able to do the same thing while towing your AS. Not having mirror extensions is a bad move, in my opinion.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta

I disagree. When towing (in the right lane) cars will come up behind me and then at the last minute swoop past. Happens ALL THE TIME. If I'm preparing to pass a slow moving car in front (or need to avoid something) while this happens you wouldn't see the car coming (from rear) in your mirrors until it's too late. With the camera I can see these cars, their closing speed and movements.

It's not a distraction at all, it's more information and I'll have more information rather than less any day of the week.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I use the open curtains front and back to see what is behind me. I have a 2003 Classic and the view isn't perfect due to the rock guard but I can see if someone is there. In Canada, we must drive with the lights on, which will show thru the guard but on a recent trip thru the States, it was nearly impossible to see due to the no headlights on. As others said, what's behind you isn't as important as what is in front of you.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I will still maintain that a rear view camera is not a substitute for proper towing mirrors. Technology breaks down at times. If your camera system breaks down while you are towing, and you do not have mirrors...then you are blind. Use a RV camera, if you like. But it should not replace your mirrors.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
I will still maintain that a rear view camera is not a substitute for proper towing mirrors. Technology breaks down at times. If your camera system breaks down while you are towing, and you do not have mirrors...then you are blind. Use a RV camera, if you like. But it should not replace your mirrors.

In my particular setup it's not a replacement, it's in addition to towing mirrors.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The 16' trailer is a narrow body, like my 19' Bambi. I can't see behind the trailer, but my mirrors give me views of what's on either side. I attached convex mirrors so that I can see what's right next to me before making a lane change.
If I want to know if anything is behind me, I wait until I have some space to the right and give the trailer a wag to the right so that I can get a glimpse in my left mirror of what's on the road behind me. Probably wouldn't work with a longer trailer, but it's easily done with the Bambi.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ I use to do that with my previous short SOB...doesn't work as well with the 28' AS
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
The mirrors that clip onto the TV mirrors are mostly crap & vibrate way too much to see anything (I tried a set from CW first & returned them).

Get a set of McKesh mirrors from Hensley with the optional round convex mirrors, which straps onto the TV doors & you can adjust it outward enough to see around & beyond your fat silver twinkie" as required for law & safety (in CA we have that requirement I found by googling to the CA DMV website, so do that for WA).

Also, there was another post on mirror a few days back & someone there mentioned another maker similar to McKesh.

We have a 1960 Avion - so I can also see thru the trailer too, but we'll need to make/get a clear polycarbonate rock guard fro it to protect it while still able to see thru (it had a rock guard on it at some point).

Also weight distributing & sway control is a biggie to get, even if the CA & many states' towing speed limit is 55!

Good Luck!
Tom (the other half)
///////
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote