Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #61
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm in the same camp as Mr. Morgan on this one. We have good towing mirrors and a good rear view camera. That combo works well for us.

We leave the dark window protectors on the front of our trailer. I'd rather not have to replace a window just yet - we have a nick on one of those guards, so it's clear they are doing a job that needs doing.

YMMV - know your blind spots and do what makes you feel safe on the road. If you're getting surprised by traffic or objects around you, it's probably time to make some improvements.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Pretty much anything on this forum can turn into an argument...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We can disagree without arguing.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
We can disagree without arguing.
No we can't!

TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you can't see close enough behind you and a LEO stops you. You get a ticket. He doesn't care about cameras, all he cares about are mirrors, and yours are inadequate. Tell the judge your cameras are better. He says the law doesn't say anything about cameras, only mirrors. Does the law need to be changed? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #66
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
So you can't see close enough behind you and a LEO stops you. You get a ticket. He doesn't care about cameras, all he cares about are mirrors, and yours are inadequate. Tell the judge your cameras are better. He says the law doesn't say anything about cameras, only mirrors. Does the law need to be changed? Jim
If you can't see close enough behind you your cameras are quite obviously inadequate. But if he is ONLY interested in mirrors, suppose thats why they are trying to change wording of the law?

Look, I'll drop my argument, just wanted to bring up technology which is current and moving forward at a very good rate and in a positive way. I started this part of the discussion in a manner for which I am sorry. Didn't mean to ruin anyone's day, question anyone's knowledge or create an adversarial situation. I'll keep my nose out of the discussions now. Sorry.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #67
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hell renderit you ain't having a little fun? Nothing wrong with a good argument after all. None of us are ever that far apart as we're all trying to solve the same problems.

In the meantime it is likely that other than 1T truck drivers have anything like mirrors close to adequate even for solo maneuvers. The center interior mirror is expected to do the work. That mirror is useless when towing so I see why folks think a camera is a substitute.

But unless one is backing what is directly behind one is irrelevant to the task of driving.

A trailered combination needs to know what is next to it. And what may be behind that. But it first must be lane centered under possibly trying conditions and not stray into other lanes or off the road itself. That is the order of precedence.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post

Look, I'll drop my argument, just wanted to bring up technology which is current and moving forward at a very good rate and in a positive way. I started this part of the discussion in a manner for which I am sorry. Didn't mean to ruin anyone's day, question anyone's knowledge or create an adversarial situation. I'll keep my nose out of the discussions now. Sorry.

As far as I am concerned we are cool.

We are just discussing things, shooting the breeze..

No harm no foul, and besides, you have not been proven wrong.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
No we can't!

HaHaHa.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the rear camera the factory installs and it makes a big difference in safety. One sees vehicles moving up on the sides, it is easy to see when you have cleared a vehicle when passing so you can move back over, and when backing into a spot it makes judging your rearward travel very simple. I do know it is a wireless digital signal and if one wants an additional camera, this must be hard wired.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #71

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Thanks for letting me know I didn't screw up stuff here.

AppRadioWorld: Honda's LaneWatch Feature Puts A Camera On Your Side-View Mirror [Video]

This video shows the "lane watch" camera feature. The little bitty camera under the passenger side mirror gives you at least 4X the normal mirror offering. NO BLIND SPOT! My only regret with these is they didn't put it on the drivers side as well. A split button on the end of that stalk could eliminate blind spots forever. In the evening in the late dusk period the images are rich and vibrant as well as at night which has me suspecting its a mixed system like FLIR (thermal imaging added to camera view). The way they set the screen in the dash there is no glare anytime to the driver. The only time I have ever seen glare on it is when it is being filmed with lights!

It also displays the 3 foot bars to help with distance and convergence factors (helps your mind grasp it in a way mirrors never could). It's application to towing is gigantic. If you have pull out mirrors the camera would pull out with them. That's my "camera on a stalk" statement. But as they can capture an area that would necessitate a HUGE mirror, they are much more practical.

So let's sum it up: 1) You see more area including spots a mirror can't cover 2) They work better in low light/no light situations 3) the display is larger to your eye than the remote mirror and closer to your primary necessary field of view

To me that means the mirror's end is in sight, pun fully intended.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #72

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
By the way, I don't have anything but a backup camera on my GMC, so I use mirrors. I had bought some Millenco's for the FJ, but they pop off the Sierra. While they were on I didn't notice much improvement over what I could see.

Has anybody tried the GMC adjustables? I can buy them online and replace what's on it. If not I may experiment with adjustable cameras.

The best mirrors I ever used myself were on my Dad's Sprinter based motor home. Those were fantastic.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
As some semi trailers have wording on back. If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415216670.742882.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	225795

not read all reply, but I'm thinking is it a good idea to put a mirror like this to help cover cars behind the trailer?
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
not read all reply, but I'm thinking is it a good idea to put a mirror like this to help cover cars behind the trailer?
Sorry to disappoint, but a mirror like the one on the back of this truck will never work. Its purpose is to enable the driver to see if he left the rear door open or to see if anyone is trying to open it. A mirror of this type would never have the proper angle to see what's behind you unless you just want to look at the back of your trailer.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but a mirror like the one on the back of this truck will never work. Its purpose is to enable the driver to see if he left the rear door open or to see if anyone is trying to open it. A mirror of this type would never have the proper angle to see what's behind you unless you just want to look at the back of your trailer.

Good to know the usage of this mirror! Thanks!
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote