Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Automakers do not want elimination of the view, or the safety of side mirrors. They want to replace large wind drag mirrors with small cameras. IOW, the "view" of the large reflective surface would just be replaced by a small camera and its image would be shown somewhere else (may be on the side glass itself, or interior A pillar). That is not an excuse to not use towing mirrors with a rear trailer camera, nor a replacement for the safety of that side view...it is just a petition to change FMVSS wording from "mirrors" to a "side rear view device" covering the same (or greater) area that the code now requires.

I am in the camp that extended towing mirrors should not be eliminated with a rear camera (I have both).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #44
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Whatever. Rearrange the words however you like. "The replaced view particularly of areas you could never before see with a standard reflective surface" on my Hondas is astounding. My eyes only need to travel to the monitor in the center of the dash allowing me more precious milliseconds of viewing the often more critical "what is in front of my grill".

Laughably call it what you will. They work MUCH better.

And I am not trying to be a wise you know what. Seriously, people need to demand these devices. They will save many lives. I have no ties to Honda, but please drive an Accord EX-L or touring with said camera. Or don't even drive it, just turn on the key and hit the button on the end of the left stalk. Life changing.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
But it still can't see around corners...now you have a narrow body, so you may have some validity to your argument...but with 8 1/2 feet of widebody, you need something more than side mounted, car width rear view devices.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Let us know when there is a factory camera package to work with a rig up to the RV maximum length of 65'. What works okay with a solo vehicle is not the same with one that is articulated. Or the problem of day/night differences. The lack of reliability is reason enough to stay away as can be seen with devices far less sophisticated.

As to how the eye/brain deciphers information the change from mirror to no mirror is apparent enough, but he change from eyes only to interpreting a video image is far greater.

Good luck with toys. When those of us the road for a living have something which reduces accident frequency I'll be happy to revisit the issue

As most tow vehicles have mirrors already marginal adding a good set of flat and convex glass mirrors is still the best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frank was making a joke that is funny because of it containing so much truth...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rear camera?

Never needed one.

It might be that the OEM makes a nice reliable backup camera, my experience has been that for the greatest degree aftermarket auto electronic devices are fragile and unreliable.

I will be keeping my mirrors, they have served me well.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So far, and they're not new anymore, the rear cameras used by automakers are very durable...very low failure rate....unlike the aftermarket stuff from the other continent.

And J.Morgan, whether you want one or not.....I am betting they are going to be mandated for ALL new vehicles in the next couple years. They do save children and pedestrians' lives. (I'm talking about the center rear backup cameras)

Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Regarding mirrors such as the Eagle One or McKesh, has anyone found that this type of mirror can scuff the finish on door of the TV? About to order one or the other.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Anything that rests on a finished surface of an in motion automobile will scuff.

No exceptions.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Towing mirror: can see following cars directly behind the trailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Regarding mirrors such as the Eagle One or McKesh, has anyone found that this type of mirror can scuff the finish on door of the TV? About to order one or the other.

Order both and set them up. My Dad used his original McKesh for about thirty years

As to how important it is to see what is directly behind one, it isn't. Point of convergence matters to reduce the distance, it is what is alongside one that really matters. Knowing where the trailer is in a curve or turn (being lane-centered in all instances) is the thing to learn.

There is next to nothing one can do about other drivers except to be at a speed where one can come to a full stop upright and preferably lane-centered. The statistics work against those who would attempt maneuvers. It is not a skill question.

Mirrors may give one an idea of what is next to one but understanding trailer tail whip should cure most Mario Andretti tendencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I'm sold on towing mirrors Slowmover, just tired of the slip-on and wondering whether the belted mirrors will damage my door.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #54

2014 16' Sport
Yup Slowmover, technology will never change for some. For the rest of us, ANY situation where a mirror CAN be used COULD be made better via cameras. And I agree about the concerns of reliability, but my experience recently is that the reliability is finally up there where it needs to be. The view is better, lighting better and bad weather reliability better. If an extended mirror will get you around your 65' good enough, a camera on a stalk will do it better. Or better yet, cameras mounted in places you can't even put a mirror. The articulated arguement I don't follow you on, the mirror is on the fixed portion of the towing vehicle so it makes no difference. If a mirror will cover it, the camera can as well with more flexibility. I understand the reluctance of people to accept them, I was the same way until trying the newest ones.

Do I want to do away with mirrors? Nope. You need something to check if you got crud in your teeth! But I'll bet good money your kid's kids won't know why anybody would ever put one on a car.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Towing mirror: can see following cars directly behind the trailor?

Can an LED OR LCD display always be seen reliably in bright sunlight?

I have yet to see one that can be well viewed in bright conditions.

How good can it be seen without lifting those $100 sunglasses?

Mirrors always give me the acuity I need to make a judgement at a glance.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #56

2014 16' Sport
Always. Honda recedes the monitor in a cavity that eliminates the glare problem. My GMC truck? Not so much. Never had a pair of $100 sunglasses (whatever that was intended to imply). But hey, I'm not going to convert you. When you see it done right it will sell itself. If anybody told me this BEFORE I saw it I would be saying and doing the same things you all are.

Not looking to make enemies or drag anybody kicking and screaming out of any technology into another. Give the new systems a look. Decide for yourselves. Quite frankly I'm now convinced this subject is right up there with small tow vehicles and WD hitches.