Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I use the open curtains front and back to see what is behind me. I have a 2003 Classic and the view isn't perfect due to the rock guard but I can see if someone is there. In Canada, we must drive with the lights on, which will show thru the guard but on a recent trip thru the States, it was nearly impossible to see due to the no headlights on. As others said, what's behind you isn't as important as what is in front of you.

WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I will still maintain that a rear view camera is not a substitute for proper towing mirrors. Technology breaks down at times. If your camera system breaks down while you are towing, and you do not have mirrors...then you are blind. Use a RV camera, if you like. But it should not replace your mirrors.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
I will still maintain that a rear view camera is not a substitute for proper towing mirrors. Technology breaks down at times. If your camera system breaks down while you are towing, and you do not have mirrors...then you are blind. Use a RV camera, if you like. But it should not replace your mirrors.

In my particular setup it's not a replacement, it's in addition to towing mirrors.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The 16' trailer is a narrow body, like my 19' Bambi. I can't see behind the trailer, but my mirrors give me views of what's on either side. I attached convex mirrors so that I can see what's right next to me before making a lane change.
If I want to know if anything is behind me, I wait until I have some space to the right and give the trailer a wag to the right so that I can get a glimpse in my left mirror of what's on the road behind me. Probably wouldn't work with a longer trailer, but it's easily done with the Bambi.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ I use to do that with my previous short SOB...doesn't work as well with the 28' AS
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
The mirrors that clip onto the TV mirrors are mostly crap & vibrate way too much to see anything (I tried a set from CW first & returned them).

Get a set of McKesh mirrors from Hensley with the optional round convex mirrors, which straps onto the TV doors & you can adjust it outward enough to see around & beyond your fat silver twinkie" as required for law & safety (in CA we have that requirement I found by googling to the CA DMV website, so do that for WA).

Also, there was another post on mirror a few days back & someone there mentioned another maker similar to McKesh.

We have a 1960 Avion - so I can also see thru the trailer too, but we'll need to make/get a clear polycarbonate rock guard fro it to protect it while still able to see thru (it had a rock guard on it at some point).

Also weight distributing & sway control is a biggie to get, even if the CA & many states' towing speed limit is 55!

Good Luck!
Tom (the other half)
///////
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
Recently I bought a towing mirror: Amazon.com: Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror: Automotive, I was expecting to use it to see the cars behind my 16' bambi.
LOL

I just linked to this Amazon advert, & if you put those mirrors on backwards as they show on the pic, then you cannot see anything beyond, behind, to the side ... well if your at the hood checking the oil - you could see behind you!

It's worth a click folks just for a giggle!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Libertyville , Illinois
I have towed over 25,000 miles with my McKesh mirrors and am quite happy with them! Here is a link to their site:

McKesh Mirrors - Hensley Mfg., Inc.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The size of mirror glass is central. Tall for the rear view and BIG convex for what is next to you. I drive 12k miles monthly in almost every conceivable condition. MyTV/TT is longer than that tractor-trailer but the mirror size discrepancy seems to be more about cosmetics than function. I changed my factory towing mirrors to a larger head replacement and will be adding BIG convex.

The "best" mirrors I have seen that should be on our vehicles are those on UHaul box vans or like the VELVAC 714579. Use these as reference. Tall and flat for distance and a quite large convex (6-8") for traffic next to you as guideline

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I disagree. When towing (in the right lane) cars will come up behind me and following cars too close. ast minute swoop past. Happens ALL THE TIME. If I'm preparing to pass a slow moving car in front (or need to avoid something) while this happens you wouldn't see the car coming (from rear) in your mirrors until it's too late. With the camera I can see these cars, their closing speed and movements.

It's not a distraction at all, it's more information and I'll have more information rather than less any day of the week.
A helpful hint!look for shadows behind your airstream ! Dead giveawaythat someone is behind you. Or following too close.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
A helpful hint!look for shadows behind your airstream ! Dead giveawaythat someone is behind you. Or following too close.

Depends on where the SUN is.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't use extension mirrors. I don't have a blind spot and I can reliable judge how far back a vehicle is before I pull in front of it using my stock mirrors.

I use the system from rvrearviewcamera.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You've the same factory tow mirrors as me, I'll assume. The type that folds out and has a too-small convex for judging what is around one.

If nothing else, the mirror "point of convergence" is farther back than most realize. A backup camera is not a substitute.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have come up behind a combined RV rig on the Interstate, pulled out seven lengths back to pass, and found the driver surprised as I come up. I drive an average of 10-12k miles monthly.

Please let no one tell me about their "good habits" behind the wheel. Inferior equipment is just that. Large mirrors make movement of any sort more likely to be picked up by peripheral vision.

To anyone, look around at aftermarket offerings. Take your time. There is no substitute for [the right] size. Where lawsuits push design changes is where one ought to look. A little old UHAUL van-box has HUGE mirros. Are they needed? Hardly, by the reckoning of many. To drive such, though, reveals that superiority immediately.

The EAGLE ONE or McKESH mirrors are something I don't see often enough. I can say that the drivers with them rarely reveal any surprise (I can't remember any actually; drive an eighteen wheeler and you'll be aware of the bow wave effect on combined rigs and proceed warily. I'm well aware of your mirror size before I come abreast of you). How "good" they are or aren't at the wheel isn't significant.

Equipment matters. Take your time.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #28
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I agree with Cory_Can. The Voyager camera is the cat's meow....I have two cameras, the wireless on my trailer, and the wired camera on my truck (for hitching). I can see traffic behind me, I know when I have actually passed someone and can pull over, and hitching up is a snap...