Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
Toronto , Ontario
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
That looks good ! Yeah the Wrangler is wider and way longer now than the previous TJ model, of 2006, when this thread had been started.
You must report how your JKU does. What model year is it ? What gears do you have ? 3.73 ? 4.10? 4.56 ? ...
We bought the 2015 JKU new at the end of that model year with the Max Tow Package. We have found that not only do we get 'Jeep waves' but now waves from others who just like the look of the rig. It is so much fun to be able to roll down the road with the top down or to drop the trailer at the camp ground and then head out for some off-road exploring.

Our Jeep has the 3.6 L Pentastar engine and 3.73 gears and there is lots of power (285 hp) and torque (260 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm) available for towing the light weight and narrow 22FB Sport. This will be ideal for most of the towing that I will be doing, although if I was in the mountains (east or west) I would likely have gone with a Rubicon with 4.10s. If I was driving in the mountains all of the time I would likely consider installing a turbo charger to maintain power at altitude, which would be a lot cheaper than buying a utilitarian looking pick-up truck.

Can-Am did a great job of modifying the hitch by forming and welding on some square tubing from the hitch to a cross member near the Jeeps's rear axle so that the WD hitch can transfer weight to the front axle without over stressing the receiver.

There is no problem towing around Ontario. I found with this first trip with the Bambi (and with our previous T@B trailer) that the sweet spot for fuel economy is around 80-90 km/h. On the freeway I travel at around 98 km/h which is better for fuel economy and the trailer tires.

I use the cruise control on open roads, in good weather and find that the Jeep computer can handle the the throttle on the hills (up and down) smoothly with very little loss of speed and minimal increase in RPM. It is a great assistance on downhill runs as it uses the engine to brake, and I find that the speed only slight increases from the cruise setting, perhaps 5-8 km/h.

Ray and Vida
Toronto ON Canada
- - - - - - - - - - - -
2017 Sport 22FB; WBCCI #6497
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote