Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The Wrangler Unlimited has a Max. Towing Capacity of 3500#. A 16' Bambi fully loaded is 3500#. If you are travelling on flat terrain you could barely tow it. But you live in Kingsport, TN. Mountains everywhere. You should then consider 80% of your towing capacity (2800#) as your maximum limit. That's an unloaded Bambi. You'd need a second vehicle to carry all your stuff.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the Wranger could do a 16' Bambi, not that I'd try it, but the main issue as I see it, is that it's gonna punish the heck out of that Bambi. My brother has one, loaded, unloaded, quara coil, whatever, it's not the most comfy ride. Lots of bumps and jaunts. Airstreams like softer rides. I'd feel better if you thought about a Grand Cherokee for the 16' than a Wranger. Not that I'm a big fan of towing with unibody construction either, but you'd be a LOT happier with that than a Wrangler and most likely would not exceed tow ratings if you selected the right one.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #17
JMD

Kingsport , Tennessee
Okay, looks like it's unanimous that the Jeep is out. I'll have a hard time convincing my wife of this since she thinks Wranglers are cute. (They always struck me as a bit overpriced)

So the other idea I had was a Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab. Wheel Base 127.8 in. It lists standard towing capacity of 3500, but max towing capacity of 6500. I would imagine that this could absolutely carry a '16 and perhaps even a '19. (Theoretically up to the '23 but I think this forum is teaching me not to push my luck when it comes to safety) Anybody got this rig with a 19 foot? What exactly is the difference between standard and max towing capacity?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
So the other idea I had was a Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab. Wheel Base 127.8 in. It lists standard towing capacity of 3500, but max towing capacity of 6500. I would imagine that this could absolutely carry a '16 and perhaps even a '19. (Theoretically up to the '23 but I think this forum is teaching me not to push my luck when it comes to safety) Anybody got this rig with a 19 foot? What exactly is the difference between standard and max towing capacity?
Max capacity would include a transmission cooler, heavy-duty cooling, different rear axle ratio, and the higher-output engine.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
[QUOTE=JMD]I was wondering about pulling a 16-foot bambi with a Jeep Wrangler.

Answer is NO.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Now THAT's not unreasonable. I tow a 17' Bigfoot with a 3.4l 6cyl 4WD Tundra. The trailer weighs about 3200 lbs dry as equipped, and the Tundra handles it well with just a bare ball and friction sway control. The '02 Tundra set up as mine is has a rated towing cap. of 4800 lbs.

I also have a 25' Bigfoot at 5300 lbs dry as equipped, and just for kicks last week, hooked it up and towed it on a 130 mile round trip with the Tundra. The Tundra aquitted itself nicely, despite the fact that it was over it's advertised tow rating by some 700 lbs. Actually I was surprised at how well it really did handle the 25' trailer. I DID have the Reese straight-line dual cam set up for that rig. You could tell that the V6 had to work harder over the hills than with the 17' trailer; but it still never went over 3k RPM and was easily able to maintain 60 mph.

The new Tacomas are advertised as being more capable than my Tundra; they are actually about the same physical size and weight. I think you'd do fine, probably up to 23' with the Tacoma (depending of course on the GCVWR as well as the tow capacity of the truck and weight of the trailer.) I REALLY like the '06 Tacoma 4 DR in fire engine red with the fancy wheels and the cool hood scoop...

Roger
Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
When our kids were around we boondocked sometimes with a Coleman pop-up. A big one. I would tow it with our CJ7 with a 304 V8. No problem. But when I needed to rent a cargo (U Haul) trailer they would not rent one to me. Way too dangerous because of the Jeep's short wheel base and the very likelyhood that the loaded trailer would be heavier. I heeded their advise. I had a family.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Sure...as long as you don't leave your yard...

Its going to be like a ride at Six Flags...without any safety.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
when I needed to rent a cargo (U Haul) trailer they would not rent one to me. Way too dangerous because of the Jeep's short wheel base and the very likelyhood that the loaded trailer would be heavier. I heeded their advise. I had a family.
Neil.
I had the same thing happen to me.I was young (er) at the time and was out of town on a hunting trip. Due to a succesful hunt, we needed extra capacity for the ride home. Uhaul refused to rent to me! I was surprised, but learned a lesson...
Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Sounds like you saying a 2500 Suburban is "marginal" towing a 19' Bambi.

Would you say it's achilles heel is the high centre of gravilty and out dated suspension system?
C of G and suspension design (and tires) are certainly factors that combine to make a Jeep a marginal tow vehicle. However, a 2500 Suburban should feel pretty good. The greatest issue may be the weight distributing hitch setup. The Bambi is not overly heavy, but tongue weight is substantial. Some more tension on the bars might make the combination feel a lot better, and reduce the amount of "disagreement" between the truck and trailer.

It seems to me that having the WDH perfectly set to balance the tongue weight on the TV will allow the front tires to resist sway as effectively as the rears, making maximum use of that long wheelbase.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The suburban should not feel unstable ,the most important thing as AlbertF
has said is to have the Wd setup right,and tongue weight is good ,so don't get iffy about placing the weight too far from the front .My 60 trdwnd and the IH travelall get feeling funny if Ive loaded the spare tire and other stuff
too central in the trailer ,and not more forward of the axle (single) it feels
wishy washy (no good ) move some stuff up towards the gaucho in front and
immediately its all good ,and the WD is loaded (bars) properly .You do want
tongue weight for sure ,must stress that point here as its very important
the WD will distribute the weight across the axles of trailer and TV .

Scott of scottanlily

Scott
Old 10-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Ditto...that Suburban is more than enough TV for a 19'. Check your hitch setup, something is amiss.
I had a similiar situation with my Suburban and found I did not have enough weight on the front end. A quick adjustment fixed that...
Check the drop front and rear.

Bill
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
We picked up our new Sport 22FB on Friday and joined a WBCCI Ontario Unit 124 Rendezvous in Seaforth ON for our shakedown. Met some great Airstreamers and learned a lot. We are very happy with the build quality and only a couple of small issues to be corrected.

Can-Am did the hitch modification and it tows great with better fuel mileage than our previous T@B trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Addy + Jeep.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	268217
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Jku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
We picked up our new Sport 22FB on Friday and joined a WBCCI Ontario Unit 124 Rendezvous in Seaforth ON for our shakedown. Met some great Airstreamers and learned a lot. We are very happy with the build quality and only a couple of small issues to be corrected.

Can-Am did the hitch modification and it tows great with better fuel mileage than our previous T@B trailer.

Attachment 268217
That looks good ! Yeah the Wrangler is wider and way longer now than the previous TJ model, of 2006, when this thread had been started.
You must report how your JKU does. What model year is it ? What gears do you have ? 3.73 ? 4.10? 4.56 ?

We have a new 2016 Wrangler Rubicon, but I seriously doubt I will be hooking it up to our 28' AS anytime soon ! The owners manual says the Rubicon has some kind of sway control yeah I don't know,

Maybe next time I have the AS out, I'll unhook the truck, and I'll take some pics where it looks like the Rubicon is towing the 28' LOL

Report back Adventure.AS on how your Jeep does ! Safe travels,
Have a good one !