Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Toilet in 22’ Sport: Is plastic the only option?

How easy is the maintenance and cleanliness of the plastic toilet included in the 22’ Sport? Doesn’t the 16’ Sport come with porcelain toilet? If so, how come it isn’t offered on the 22’?

Is the plastic replaceable with a porcelain one? Will an AS dealer do that as part of deal? Have any of you had that upgrade completed?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
According to Airstream website, porcelain is standard on the sport lineup

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...port/features/
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, I had Colonial look into changing it out to porcelain and it wasn't possible. They couldn't find one short enough that had the right depth. On the 22, the toilet sits on top of the tank on a pedestal. I was upset about it being plastic, but since using it, it works fine, cleans easily and is a non issue. You might find you need a small plastic folding step stool (my wife does) to put your feet on when on the toilet, as it is taller than the tall 'comfort height' residential toilets due to the tank pedestal it sits on.
Online, the brochures have a tiny asterisk next to porcelain that says 'not on 22'. On Colonial's website they didn't, and that is why they tried for me. They actually ordered and attempted to install a couple options but it wouldn't work.
-Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
According to Airstream website, porcelain is standard on the sport lineup

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...port/features/

Strange... it does say it is standard. I could swear I saw there was a difference between the two Sport models.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Hi, I had Colonial look into changing it out to porcelain and it wasn't possible. They couldn't find one short enough that had the right depth. On the 22, the toilet sits on top of the tank on a pedestal. I was upset about it being plastic, but since using it, it works fine, cleans easily and is a non issue. You might find you need a small plastic folding step stool (my wife does) to put your feet on when on the toilet, as it is taller than the tall 'comfort height' residential toilets due to the tank pedestal it sits on.
Online, the brochures have a tiny asterisk next to porcelain that says 'not on 22'. On Colonial's website they didn't, and that is why they tried for me. They actually ordered and attempted to install a couple options but it wouldn't work.
-Rich

It isn’t clear as the AS website shows it as standard, but the brochure does not. I’m going to contact a dealer for confirmation on what is standard for the 2018 22’ Sport.

I’m glad to hear the plastic toilet cleans easily though, so it won’t be a major issue to be concerned about.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I had the dealer contact Airstream directly due to the inconsistency and tried to have it upgraded. Airstream agreed there was an error online but told my dealer that they reserve the right to make changes. The plastic toilet is what is standard now on the 22' Sport. Here's a screenshot from the online brochure showing that the 22' doesn't have porcelain. Again, I was upset but it turned out to be a non issue. There are other things that bother me a lot more. Ha!
-Rich
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3882.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	290970
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Sorry for double photo
Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
I had the dealer contact Airstream directly due to the inconsistency and tried to have it upgraded. Airstream agreed there was an error online but told my dealer that they reserve the right to make changes. The plastic toilet is what is standard now on the 22' Sport. Here's a screenshot from the online brochure showing that the 22' doesn't have porcelain. Again, I was upset but it turned out to be a non issue. There are other things that bother me a lot more. Ha!
-Rich

Thanks for the added info. I wonder if over time the plastic toilet will look worse than the porcelain. I’m thinking 5+ years or more.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have had a plastic toilet in our 19' Bambi since it was new in 2002. Its appearance has not changed in 15 years. It is easy to keep clean (Happy Bowl helps), but, because it is plastic, abrasive cleansers are not a good idea. When our trailer is not in use, I wax the toilet inside and out with automotive wax. Helps keep it clean and shines the outside.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We decided to replace our original plastic toilet with a china one after about 8 years because even though it still worked fine, it was beginning to look its age and getting harder to keep clean. The waxing idea is a good thing to do ... I suspect that would keep it fresh looking longer. Porcelain toilets ae not that expensive nor are they all that difficult to replace...you just have to make sure you get one that fits the space...and apparently (based on wha't been said here) that is an issue on the 22 Sports.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We decided to replace our original plastic toilet with a china one after about 8 years because even though it still worked fine, it was beginning to look its age and getting harder to keep clean. The waxing idea is a good thing to do ... I suspect that would keep it fresh looking longer. Porcelain toilets ae not that expensive nor are they all that difficult to replace...you just have to make sure you get one that fits the space...and apparently (based on wha't been said here) that is an issue on the 22 Sports.

What brand/model porcelain toilet did you use?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post

Also, since others here have mentioned porcelain toilets don’t seem to fit correctly due to the black box height, would you be willing to share a photo of your setup?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Hey Joe... We got a Dometic Low Profile 310 Series Gravity Discharge Toilet - White from Camping World, no shipping. It's 13.75" tall. They are on sale at the moment... $212. Regular price is $237. Watch prices and check sales ... they vary quite often. The bolts holding the toilet to the platform fit the original positions so we didn't need an adaptor plate. The only thing we needed to get in addition to the toilet was a wire-inforced hose (like the ones you use to connect the pluming to your household toilet) ... this made it possible to connect the toilet to the RV's plumbing without replacing any hoses ... this was needed because the water line connects to the top in the back of this toilet... and the old one connected to the bottom .... so the new hose served as an extension to connect the two ... just make sure you have the right couplings at both ends of the hose.The new toilet sits pretty close to the back wall of the bathroom, but it dos not touch the wall.

I'm not sure what the bathrooms in a 22' looks like but in our 19' the toilet sits on a platform...we built a platform and covered it in vinyl to fit in the space on the floor in front of the toilet for better "toilet comfort" (for lack of better way to say it). The toilet in the picture off the floor platform is the old toilet.)

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dometic 310 Low Profile Ceramic Toilet .jpg
Views:	108
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	291049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Throne Boost_01_Sm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	291050  

Name:	Bambi Throne Boost_02_Sm.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	291051  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hey Joe... We got a Dometic Low Profile 310 Series Gravity Discharge Toilet - White from Camping World, no shipping. It's 13.75" tall. They are on sale at the moment... $212. Regular price is $237. Watch prices and check sales ... they vary quite often. The bolts holding the toilet to the platform fit the original positions so we didn't need an adaptor plate. The only thing we needed to get in addition to the toilet was a wire-inforced hose (like the ones you use to connect the pluming to your household toilet) ... this made it possible to connect the toilet to the RV's plumbing without replacing any hoses ... this was needed because the water line connects to the top in the back of this toilet... and the old one connected to the bottom .... so the new hose served as an extension to connect the two ... just make sure you have the right couplings at both ends of the hose.The new toilet sits pretty close to the back wall of the bathroom, but it dos not touch the wall.

I'm not sure what the bathrooms in a 22' looks like but in our 19' the toilet sits on a platform...we built a platform and covered it in vinyl to fit in the space on the floor in front of the toilet for better "toilet comfort" (for lack of better way to say it). The toilet in the picture off the floor platform is the old toilet.)

Hope this helps!

Great info and photos. Thanks very much!