Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I don't know exactly how a 2019 is put together, but when I was rebuilding my '73, I found that the black plastic wheel well had a flange that went under the subfloor and was sandwiched between the floor and the frame. If it is still being done like this, then replacing the whole wheel well would be extremely invasive.

Above the black plastic exterior wheel well, was a layer of insulation, and then an interior wheel well/cover that was also made of relatively soft plastic and was pop riveted in place.

This assembly was remarkably fragile. If someone were to sit on the wheel well, it would readily collapse, similarly, if you were to stack pots and pans on the wheel well, it would cause enough deformation to result in at least temporary contact with the wheel.

This had apparently happened on both sides of my trailer, and when I did the rebuild, I patched and reinforced the black plastic parts with fiberglass, and replaced the interior plasic with an aluminum "box."

I assume that AS doesn't use a metal wheel tub because it is more expensive, and then you run the risk of them rusting/corroding, etc.. That being said, it seems to me that these flimsy plastic wheel wells have been an issue for as long was they have been in use.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I am not up to speed on the new"Sport" model, but seems to me, they Sport models were originally the "European" model and were not constructed same as the main line AS's? (no rock guards, bumpers, and belly-pan-plumbing enclosure; other differences like AC/heating controls, etc.) Sounds like the construction of the wheel well areas is still not same as main line AS's? If so, unfortunate; many folks start out with one of these models.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #23
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
ATTENTION 2019 (Maybe all) Sport 22 foot owners!!!! The plastic wheel wells deform real easy!!!! I think my insulation pushed the wheel well right into the tire. The tire ate all the way through the wheel well at the contact point. I now have an 8 inch arc cut through the plastic wheel well. The only way I found it was by getting my head under the trailer and eyeballing up through the gap between the tire and the wheel well. I had no indication this was going on. I could not see it from the outside of the trailer. I only have 1900 miles on the trailer, all on hard top roads. No off roading. This is going to be a major repair!!! I can’t see any way to remove it except by separating the shell from the trailer frame. Like I said....check yours now!!!! This is a major incursion point for water to get into the trailer!!!!! I’m deadlined until this is fixed. ☹️🤬[emoji35]
Hi DAVSCH,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
Any thoughts on how long before the incident appeard? Would it be possible to use a heat gun to reshape the liner? Disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about this type of problem just thinking out loud here.
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxroadster View Post
Any thoughts on how long before the incident appeard? Would it be possible to use a heat gun to reshape the liner? Disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about this type of problem just thinking out loud here.
MAXROADSTER - I thought about a heat gun to 'unwarp' the plastic. Second thoughts lead me to conclude that I really had no way to know if the warp would tighten back up or sag outward even worse. The solution used to make it moveable again was to simply cut out the warped plastic. I took it one step further. I cut a piece of 3/16ths piece of plywood to fit behind the wheelwell's plastic and then Gorilla taped the entire hole closed again. That should block any vermin from using the hole for entry AND keep road dirt & water out when I take it to the dealership to be replaced.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #26

1997 28' Excella
Hot Springs , South Dakota
Sorry to hear...hopefully the damage is covered by warranty. I had a tire separate awhile back on a 1997 Excella which destroyed the 1/2 the wheel well and regrettably there was water and electrical above it which were shredded 😭😭😭.. I also thought a frame off was the only solution but did find a heavy duty plastic replacement which I only used 1/2.. after repairs, which I'm proud to report has left me double- jointed..Haha, I was able to install the replacement wheel well into place with screws and pop drivers and plenty of sealant. Turned out great and you would think it was original...so, this can be done without frame off. Good luck...
Eaglevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
"Artie" from you team initially contacted me. I replied back (early last week) via email and haven't heard a word since. I am still very interested in talking with you folks about this issue.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Did theynot ask you to call...that is why they gave you a phone number in their post. Emails no good.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Pleasanton , Texas
Wheel well

I recently had a blowout on my 1994 Excella30. Damaged my wheel well liner, trim and took off my plumbing on my holding tanks. All the repairs were made at my local Airstream dealer with out taking anything apart.

By the way, I’m having 16” wheels and new Michelin tires installed today. But, of course that’s a whole other discussion.
craigdowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Sure you can patch it. You need to cut away enough plastic and put in a rigid enough aluminum patch (think bent to the correct angle) that is formed to be firmly and securely out of the tire path during flexing and would keep the plastic from further flexing as well.

What you are saying is covering it, and even with an alum patch, it's still gonna have the same tolerance issues, maybe even slightly less. My point is that if the wheel is rubbing on the well now, putting an external patch on isn't gonna be a proper fix, more of a band aid. From the sound of it and the pic I saw, the well needs to be not only replaced but properly positioned. Anything short of that, the issue will resurface IMHO, but if the OP wants to put a piece of alum over it, so be it. I'd be putting gorilla tape on it and make a trip to Jackson Center since it being a 2019 should be fully under warranty as there is very little an owner could have done to yield this end result.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
What you are saying is covering it, and even with an alum patch, it's still gonna have the same tolerance issues, maybe even slightly less. My point is that if the wheel is rubbing on the well now, putting an external patch on isn't gonna be a proper fix, more of a band aid. From the sound of it and the pic I saw, the well needs to be not only replaced but properly positioned. Anything short of that, the issue will resurface IMHO, but if the OP wants to put a piece of alum over it, so be it. I'd be putting gorilla tape on it and make a trip to Jackson Center since it being a 2019 should be fully under warranty as there is very little an owner could have done to yield this end result.

Ok folks, for anyone who was following this thread, I finally got the wheel well fixed by my local dealer. Thank you Reliable RV!!!! Unlike some doom and gloomers who replied to this thread, they didn’t stick a patch in, it was a whole wheel well replacement. I did drive 2,000 miles on a patch I put in waiting on the part to come in. That’s OK! That trip we took was incredible up through the Michigans as the leaves were turning. No complaints here folks, Airstream fixed it to factory specs. Full thumbs up and thank you. Next long trip..... Yellowstone in 2020! We’re psyched and ready!!.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Great attitude. Deal with it, move on, and enjoy the adventure. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Ok folks, for anyone who was following this thread, I finally got the wheel well fixed by my local dealer. Thank you Reliable RV!!!! Unlike some doom and gloomers who replied to this thread, they didn’t stick a patch in, it was a whole wheel well replacement. I did drive 2,000 miles on a patch I put in waiting on the part to come in. That’s OK! That trip we took was incredible up through the Michigans as the leaves were turning. No complaints here folks, Airstream fixed it to factory specs. Full thumbs up and thank you. Next long trip..... Yellowstone in 2020! We’re psyched and ready!!.
Thanks for the update, and Ditto to Pat's comment about full speed ahead back into the future!

Is the new wheel well better than the original, or does your OP warning still apply, in your opinion, to your year/model?

Quote:
ATTENTION 2019 (Maybe all) Sport 22 foot owners!!!! The plastic wheel wells deform real easy!!!! I think my insulation pushed the wheel well right into the tire. The tire ate all the way through the wheel well at the contact point. I now have an 8 inch arc cut through the plastic wheel well. The only way I found it was by getting my head under the trailer and eyeballing up through the gap between the tire and the wheel well. I had no indication this was going on. I could not see it from the outside of the trailer. I only have 1900 miles on the trailer, all on hard top roads. No off roading. This is going to be a major repair!!! I can’t see any way to remove it except by separating the shell from the trailer frame. Like I said....check yours now!!!! This is a major incursion point for water to get into the trailer!!!!! I’m deadlined until this is fixed. ☹️��[emoji35]
Thanks again for the original warning, and for the recent update.

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
As a wrap up of this thread, I looked at the photo again and is it possible this is not a tire rubbing? It looks like something got caught in the wheel well and broke away part of the wheel well deforming it. I only say this as for all the Sport 22 owners out there that are concerned for their trailers. This may not be a design flaw.

There was no mention of the tire being replaced which certainly would have had some damage to the rear edge if it was rubbing enough to "burn" away the wheel well. The damage should have had abrasive lines and a "melting" of plastic for it to be caused by a rubbing tire. I see nothing of this evidence.

DAVSCH certainly has a better perspective on this and I'm only offering another opinion on what may have caused this.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
As a wrap up of this thread, I looked at the photo again and is it possible this is not a tire rubbing? It looks like something got caught in the wheel well and broke away part of the wheel well deforming it. I only say this as for all the Sport 22 owners out there that are concerned for their trailers. This may not be a design flaw.

There was no mention of the tire being replaced which certainly would have had some damage to the rear edge if it was rubbing enough to "burn" away the wheel well. The damage should have had abrasive lines and a "melting" of plastic for it to be caused by a rubbing tire. I see nothing of this evidence.

DAVSCH certainly has a better perspective on this and I'm only offering another opinion on what may have caused this.
TURK - Good thought, but no, it was the tire. I'm one of those weirdos who'll crawl around under things to check for problems. I was under my camper looking for potential mouse entries and looked up the wheel well area and noticed there was no gap between the well and tire. When I stuck my hand up through, the wheel well was firmly against the tire and I could feel the hole the tire had rubbed through it. After several explicatives I pulled the tire off and what my pic shows is what I saw.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
OTRA15 - I would say the possibility still exists to anyone with plastic wheel wells. On my 2019 22' SPORT, there's nothing on the other side of the wheel well to anchor it to. Unlike car wheel wells, where they use large-headed nylon rivets to lock things into place, there's just nothing in the behind the well to grab. The wheel well just floats in position.