Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #41

1973 25' Tradewind
Crane Hill , Alabama
Airstream Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfrank View Post
Hey all,

My name is Frank and I'm a website developer. I have a 2005 Airstream 22 International CCD. I love it but don't use it enough and may have to sell it soon.

I was thinking about creating a website to allow Airstream owners to rent their trailers to people while they aren't using them.

I wanted to come on here and see if there's any interest from current Airstream owners. I'll obviously work with a lawyer and insurance company to figure out the liability aspect.

Just gauge interest. Also, what would be your biggest concerns about posting your trailer? And what would you like to receive per week for your trailer?(obviously this will vary based on season) Would you feel comfortable renting your pull vehicle as well?

I really appreciate any feedback you all may have. If I do create this, I'll make sure users who provide feedback get access to it first.

Thanks,

Frank
I have been renting an Airstream through my B&B website for about 10 years. It is an older (1973) model that I have repaired and does not move (less chance of damage). I have added some custom cabinets, new appliances, a cover, outside shower and screen porch. Very popular with my guests, especially from overseas. Current project is a 1999 Excella 30 that had hail and water damage. I am about 70% complete and plan on towing it as well as renting it at the B&B. I am also adding a full hookup for visiting Airstreams. AirBnB has several Airstreams scattered across the country. They supposedly provide $10,000 damage insurance. The market is there if you want to rent it.
JimMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Rental website

Quote:
Hey all,

My name is Frank and I'm a website developer. I have a 2005 Airstream 22 International CCD. I love it but don't use it enough and may have to sell it soon.
I was thinking about creating a website to allow Airstream owners to rent their trailers to people while they aren't using them.
I wanted to come on here and see if there's any interest from current Airstream owners. I'll obviously work with a lawyer and insurance company to figure out the liability aspect.

Just gauge interest. Also, what would be your biggest concerns about posting your trailer? And what would you like to receive per week for your trailer?(obviously this will vary based on season) Would you feel comfortable renting your pull vehicle as well?

I really appreciate any feedback you all may have. If I do create this, I'll make sure users who provide feedback get access to it first.

Thanks,
Frank
I would not feel comfortable renting my 2012 FC 23D to anyone. Ditto my TV. Just not worth the worry and hassle...no one cares for my stuff as carefully as I do.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Mine is a restored 1973 and I wouldn't rent or loan it to anyone. Before the complete restoration I probably would have let my father borrow it, but after the hard work, sweat, blood and frustrations my trailer is mine and is trusted to no one.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
I do not own an Airstream but was (and still am) considering buying one. Having never slept in a camper, my wife and I wanted to rent one before buying. We did so from a Haydocy Airstream in Columbus, Ohio which is 600 miles from where we live. It was the closest place that rented reasonably new (2016) Airstreams that had a 25 foot model; which is the one we are interested in. Fortunately we have an F-150 so we didn't need or want to pay for a tow vehicle. We had a good experience but note:

1. It cost about $350.00/day so I only rented for a week to see if we liked it. We drove 1000 miles with it and camped at three different campsites. Because of the cost I would probably not rent again.

2. The insurance issue was a nightmare. This will be your major obstacle. I am reasonably sure your existing RV insurance would not cover damage by a renter and that the renters do not have RV insurance.

3. How will you deal with tow vehicles? Those that have tow vehicles need to have a proper hitch and 7 pin connection. How will you deal with those that show up ready to go and don't have one or both.

4. Be prepared to spend a lot of time with newbies. They don't know gray from black or how to fill up the water tank. Also hooking up, driving and parking. Electric and cable connections......You may be experienced but for a newbie this is whole new world. Be ready for the 11:00pm calls because they don't know how to do something or worse.......something broke.

Frankly I wish many people rented newer Airstreams but I did see the difficulty. I think there is a lot of demand but when you get down to the details it is a very time consuming ordeal.

Good Luck.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #45

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post

2. The insurance issue was a nightmare. This will be your major obstacle. I am reasonably sure your existing RV insurance would not cover damage by a renter and that the renters do not have RV insurance.

Good Luck.
Your personal lines policy will not cover damages to your trailer while it is being rented out. At that time it becomes a commercial entity due to its use to generate money. I've never seen a policy like that covers personal while being rented out, but I have seen enough strange commercial ones so it might exist somewhere.
That I think will be your hardest part in this endeavour. Until you are big enough or show you have enough money, no commercial insurance company will want to write a policy.
And I would not want to rent my AS until I know it is covered for all damages.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I am always amazed at how many people think their brilliant idea is new and original.
There are several outfits that rent Airstreams exclusively. I rented from Airstream2Go about 2 years ago and had an excellent but admittedly very expensive experience. There are other outfits that do the same. My advice is that you should have done a lot more research before throwing your idea out to this group. Shows me you didn’t do any checking around to see if your idea had already been done,
No, I would not rent my 2017 Classic out to anyone. So far the only people I allow inside, unaccompanied, are other Airstream owners that I know very well.
some get out of bed the wrong side this morning? It's always a good & "heated" topic !
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
You're saying you wouldn't be interested? What are your biggest reservations?
1. Damage. Nobody cares for your stuff like you do.
2. Smokers.
3. Wear and tear.
4. Tires.
5. Liability.
6. Kids. "Sorry, Little Johnny was bored so he set fire to your cabinet."
7. Pets. "Maybe Rover had an accident last week."
8. Taxes. (Yes, it now becomes a business and it's taxed.)
9. Theft. "Where is my surge protector?"
10. Loss. "I guess we left your power cord in Idaho, sorry."

A business should buy 10 units JUST for rentals, and keep them up. Then someone has to clean, provision, and wash the towels, etc. Not me. Then someone has to fix the damage and have a stock of parts.

I know in the boat charter business, the owners usually don't come away with any profit after the company "fixes" everything on the list.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #48

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

I know in the boat charter business, the owners usually don't come away with any profit after the company "fixes" everything on the list.
None of my businesses made profit other than the obligatory third year, none were large enough to get all the taxes advantages of a major coorporation.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I had considered this but as a static rental only!

Meaning I would offer various campgrounds book the site and tow and set up. The renter would show up have an orientation, enjoy there stay and at the end I would pick up.

After looking at insurance issues and the required damage deposits I dropped the idea.

I have lent out my trailer to family but again on a static basis. I drive and set up and go back and pick it up.

Would never let anyone tow my baby no way Jose!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #50

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

None of my businesses made profit other than the obligatory third year, none were large enough to get all the taxes advantages of a major coorporation.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
And the phone call at 11 PM;
“We just got to our campground and I hooked everything up just like you showed me. Now there’s stinky mud running off the roof. Is that normal?”
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
And the phone call at 11 PM;
“We just got to our campground and I hooked everything up just like you showed me. Now there’s stinky mud running off the roof. Is that normal?”
Or any of many more newbie errors that we all have either personally made, or narrowly avoided, and we DIDN'T have anyone to call...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
I think you could rent Airstreams more cost effectively if you buy them used and set them up a fa at a fixed location, sorta like an Airstream campground. Let the people come to you...
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
There is a small Airstream campground in Santa Barbara,CA that does exactly what EZtoo suggested. It was featured on a "Tiny Homes" tv segment and they have a website too. Guys that own it also have an Airstream restoration business near by. Besides the rental income, he uses the campground as a show room for potential customers to see what they can do with the renovated units.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Phil1ben listed lots of important points you need to consider. Overall I doubt you would get existing Airstream owners to provide the rentals. You would need to acquire your own fleet and maintain it.

As far as insurance...its expensive but doable. Think about the high end luxury rental car market. In Las Vegas you can rent a Rolls Royce or Aston Martin. Some Hertz Rental Car locations rent new Porsha's.......they got insurance from someplace in order to stay in business. For those that were business travelers in the 1990's, some might remember when National Rental Car had classic car rentals like a 55 Tbird, 66 Mustang convertible, or Cadillac convertibles. Most were available in the Florida or California markets. It was expensive and they broke down often...guess that's why it was discontinued.

Last time I was in San Diego, rented a new Corvette convertible with 11k miles on it. It was a dogg.........smelled like beer and cigarettes and engine light came on when it went into "limp home" mode. They swapped it for another but I would not pay for that experience again.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote