Old 05-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Joliet , Illinois
Thinking about the 2006 19' SE, Please Help?

My husband and I just looked at the 2006 19' SE. What is a good price for this Airstream? The MSRP they had was around 41000. What should I expect to pay? Would this airstream fit in a 2 car standerd garage? It would be nice if it would. What are your opinions on the 2006 19 SE? We wanted to see the 16 but the dealer in chicago area didn't have one. We will be going back today, I really want to inspect it ask any questions I need to. Can you please give me some things to look at, and questions to ask the dealer. I've been reading this forum and from what it sounds like I'm not making a bad decision looking at an airstream, so many happy airstreamers. Thanks for help you could give.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Discounts vary from anywhere between 10 to 25% off of list price. The more popular the trailer, the less the discount. Don't pay a separate dealer prep charge. Good dealers don't add these miscellaneous charges on to the final negotiated price.

Most likely the trailer will not fit into your garage because it's too tall. Heck my van only clears my garage door opening by less than a half an inch.

If possible consider have a spare tire carrier and tire added to your new trailer. Two Fantastic Fans are better than the standard one.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Measure the garage - most garage doors are too low to accommodate a travel trailers height - even if the garage were long enough.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Standard garage won't fit an RV (non-popup).
The dealer in Giman isn't all that great (if that's the one you're talking about).

I was happy with our 19' Bambi for the two of us and a pooch, but it was a bit tight. Airstream has since come out with a 23' CCD that you could possibly purchase for the same retail money of a 19' CCD (18% off list of $51k). Don't get me wrong, the 19' is a nice unit as is the 16' and they both have a place, but now that the 23' is out, it weighs only about 1000lbs more than the 19', yet gives you 2 axles (better than a single axle--except on the tollways around here ), larger fridge, more storage, more windows and a larger fresh water tank.

You can take a peek at one here:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/8079.html

It can also be purchased non SE/CCD which could lower the cost by about $5k.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Joliet , Illinois
Thanks so much for all the help. There is a new Airstream dealer in bolingbrook. We will be going to milwakee today to check out their selection. They have a 16 and a few 19s. Wish me luck.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Some things to consider:

Bed width on the 19' is 48". Will that be wide enough?
Dinette sleeper width in case someone has to sleep there.
Counter top space in the galley for food prep.The 19' uses stove and sink covers.
Wet or dry bath. Some like the dry bath, but it uses valuable space. Wet baths are a little messy when wet, but are more space efficient. A big plus in a small trailer.
Single axle vs. double axle. Double axle trailers handle better. What will you be towing with? Determine if your tow vehicle will be able to manage your trailer adequately.
Consider your "rainy day" scenario and whether you and your family can enjoy the tight confines for a few rainy days, if need be.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Thumbs up Another dealer to shop

You might check with the dealer in Davenport Iowa- Adventure RV they seem to have really good selection of new Airstreams. I think they might be in Bolingbrook also.
I'm over in Davenport all the time with questions for the service department as well as buying various things. They have been very good to deal with . Don't know about the sales side but you might want to give them a call.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Joliet , Illinois
The dealer in Davenport set up another branch in Bolingbrook. They have been open for 2 weeks.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
If I recall, My 05 Bambi is just under 10 ft. tall, and 8 ft. wide. I tow a 24 ft. Trade Wind, and a 19 ft. Bambi. The two axles on the Trade Wind are nice, in terms of safety during a tire blowout, but I can't say there's much of a difference in handling and towing between the two. If you have enough tow vehicle and buying power, you may want to take a good look at the 23 ft. If it had been available when I was looking, I would have seriously considered it. I didn't like the layout and the wet bath in the 22 ft., the 25 ft. was more than we need, and my tow vehicle would have been marginal.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
San Diego (Carmel Valley/DelMar) , California
We just purchased the 19' Safari Bambi SE last week. We also looked at the 23' and 25'. The 23' has a sink that, to me, takes up a lot of space. Also, the table set up seems kind of cheesy, in my opinion. The 25' is a little too much for our Jeep Grand Cherokee. But that FB in the Special Edition is one fine trailer. Frankly, I am grossed out by wet baths, so the 16' Quicksilver was not going to work. We are a family of three, 2 adults and one son who is 11. Then we have our Golden Retriever. I realize that space might be a little tight, but my husband and son (and do) plan on camping in a tent at some destinations. Anyway, I love the Special Edition Safari Bambi so far. If we decide to trade up, I'm sure that we can sell it pretty easily as this is a popular model.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Sunn,

Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to hearing the experiences of another Bambi owner. It's only the two of us, but we seem to have plenty of room for our type of camping.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
We just brought home our new Bambi Safari SE last weekend and we dearly love it. We chose it over the 23' and the 16'. The 23' seemed like too much for family camping and we didn't want to tow that much, and the 16' seemed like not quite enough (tank capacities and floor space), although we were leaning toward the 16' for quite a while and really liked the layout with the bed in the back and the rear panoramic. We haven't camped yet in the Bambi but already it feels like it fits us like a glove. Our last trailer, a '76 Safari 23' did not feel as roomy as the Bambi, probably due to the layout. But with 2 adults and 2 children (age 8 and 4) we feel just right in the Bambi.

Good luck with your decision!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
VALLEY CENTER , California
19 A Wonderful Compromise

We recently purchased a 19 CCD model and love it.To us,it's called camping,not bringing your home with you.Also, the smaller trailer will fit in more places on the road than a larger one can.We originally fell in love with the 16 with the duel panoramic windows,but once we checked the specs,the 19 seemed much better equiped.Still think those little 16s are the coolest looking though.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinyman
We recently purchased a 19 CCD model and love it.To us,it's called camping,not bringing your home with you.Also, the smaller trailer will fit in more places on the road than a larger one can.We originally fell in love with the 16 with the duel panoramic windows,but once we checked the specs,the 19 seemed much better equiped.Still think those little 16s are the coolest looking though.
spinyman - We totally agree with you. We also call it B&B for when we travel. Just a place to stay cozy and dry for the night, and eat meals as we go. Whenever I start looking for something we really need for the camper, I try to think of the most minimal, compact, lightweight solution that's possible. I like simple, and small.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi