Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Dan

2013 25' FB International
Altadena , California
Thinking about adding 4' of space

OK...when I bought my 19' CCD it was my FIRST RV...I had no idea what I really needed or could tow etc etc yada yada...now...I have a better idea..and I am looking at those 23' Flying Clouds with a full bed in the nose very enviously...I NEED MORE SPACE....my wife and I are not big people...but the bed in our 19 footer is too small...the whole layout is cute but cramped..what were we thinking?...so...I need help...whats a good way to trade up without getting hosed at the dealer? is a private party sale too much of a PITA? what is a good way to figure out real resale value? I am surfing the online sites but I am not seeing many of the 19' CCD's for sale...prob a good thing? any tips from other folks who have traded up?

ps...my street size dictates no more than a 25' but I am not even sure of that...I have a 21' F350 so between that and the 23' I am PRETTY sure I can jackknife it in...the 19' goes in with room so I figure what's 4 more feet right? (famous last words maybe..)...maybe I need a power caster or something like that?..but that's a whole different thread....
djfrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
FWIW, I've read that the 25' is the most popular size, but IMO the 23 would be OK for 2 people.
If the parking issue gets settled, I would opt for the 25'. I have had two 25' and one 21'. Both were do-able, we much prefer the room to spread out a bit, especially if it's raining.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Move on up.

If you can get the FB 25 DO IT. All the difference in the world for living space. If you could, the 27 FB is ideal (at least for us, but we have 2 acres to store it on). You have the TV and probably the time to use your rig, live it up a bit. BTW, we have not had any problem is state parks in CA finding the required length of camp spots.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hey djfrantic
We kinda did the same thing you did....
Our very first rv was a 25SS with the same type of sleeping arrangement you have in the 19....a bed shoved in the corner next to the small bathroom. (hated the bed and the toilet)
After LESS THAN A YEAR we traded for a 27' FB and love it!
With two young boys the 27 gives us a bit more room and storage than the 25'FB.
If I were you I would skip the 23 and go up to the 25FB model...you won't be sorry.

We took a huge loss when we traded for the larger trailer. I don't think there's any way to avoid it...if you really want a bigger trailer you'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it! If only we had found this website before jumping in!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Went from 19 to 25FB

Djfrantic,
We loved our 19 Bambi, fit everywhere, easy to turn, back and park...The bed layout just did not work for us.
After just over a year, we bought the 25FB. Just right, sleeps great, and fits where we camp and tour.
Find a dealer that works with you. Your Bambi will be no problem to sell, they are a great size and they work for lots of folks.
A good nights rest is all that matters at the end of long day...
See our photos, lots of smiles.
Stream Safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I went the other way and for different reasons. My vintage 31' Sovereign needed some expsnsive repairs which was a good excuse for fixing up my 71 Tradewind. Nevermind restoring the Tradewind has cost at least twice as much as fixing the Sovereign (and I'm still not done). I have no regrets. My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised there is not much difference in storage and comfort. Plus you can get a 25 into just about any campsite. IMHO it's true a 25 is the biggest little AS as well as the littlest bigun.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'frantic, sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the 19'. Others have had the same experience, so you're not alone.

I would try to sell the 19' yourself. I've never sold an RV, but I have sold a lot of cars and trucks myself and I figure I saved a couple of thousand on most deals by not surrendering to the dealer. You'll have to take some loss, but at least you've gotten a few years good use out of it. Selling can be difficult—you have to deal with a fair number of idiots, but the pay is pretty good when you consider what you save. Make sure you get cash or a bank check—teller's or certified. When you get the check, call the bank to make sure it's good because people can make fake checks on their computers.

We like our 25 FB. The 23' FB is really nice—they didn't make them when we were looking. It doesn't have a queen bed, though the bathroom is good. Small dinette and no counter space in the kitchen. 2' 2" more space in the 25'. We also liked the 27' FB a lot, but decided we wanted one 2' shorter—easier to maneuver and easier on our truck. I think the FB's are the most popular models these days.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Dan

Altadena , California
---UPDATE----
I STILL have not done this...but I am closer to doing it.....am I really only going to get about $30,000 for my 19' CCD Bambi? That is the only thing holding me back...if I sell it private party it looks like I can MAYBE get a little more...but that takes more work.....any tips? or do I just post to Craigslist and here and see what happens....???
Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Your model is exactly what Colonial Airstream has listed on the Classifieds right here, plus it has "Blue Streak Options" whatever those are. They listed it September 13, so I guess they aren't getting driven wild with offers...

It's at $29,995

Are they that rare in CA that you think you can get more? I wouldn't think that this would be the greatest time to sell, what with winter around the corner and all.

Anyways, good luck selling it, and make sure that what you move up to it really enough for you, and that you don't fall into "2-foot-itis" again...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
I have found our 27' Safari to be a good size for the wife & myself, as well as a 16 & 19 year old for stays of more than a week. Length of TV/TT is about 52'. Parking can be challenging. I recently purchased a Powercaster on Craigslist that has solved all my parking problems, both at home and on site. Go for the max size you can effectively manage & place. Length does matter... making the difference between a hovel and a home. My rule of thumb... if you can dance in it, you can live in it.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Dan

Altadena , California
you are right.....

yeah I am setting my sights too high I think....the Irvine dealer has offered to consign it for $25k but I would lose more $ than I want to if I do that.,....I think I will try selling it for over $30k and see where that takes me.....I did see that Colonial ad....thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Your model is exactly what Colonial Airstream has listed on the Classifieds right here, plus it has "Blue Streak Options" whatever those are. They listed it September 13, so I guess they aren't getting driven wild with offers...

It's at $29,995

Are they that rare in CA that you think you can get more? I wouldn't think that this would be the greatest time to sell, what with winter around the corner and all.

Anyways, good luck selling it, and make sure that what you move up to it really enough for you, and that you don't fall into "2-foot-itis" again...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
We are really happy with the size of our 25' Tradewind. My brother-in-law (Brian's 1969) has a 27' Overlander and it just seems so much longer - even though it's only 2' more. I know 21' would have been a bit small for us and we would have "made it work" if we had a 23'. 25' seem like a good size for two people.

Can you spend a bit of time in a local dealership's used models to see how each feels to you?

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you are crowded in the 19, put a skeptical eye on the living space of the 23. Sure the bed and bath are good, but what's left for living is tiny.

You already have enough truck for any Airstream, so look at the larger lightly used models. You can mitigate your loss by taking advantage of another's loss, and they will be losing more than you. Try to sell your 19, or consign it, then go shopping.

Because of the water leaks reported regularly on the rear door/pano window models, I wouldn't go there until that is sorted out. Rear bed, side bath, front lounge, and side dinette is a spacious arrangement.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi