Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

The adventures of Pearl

I am starting a blog of sorts on here to document the adventures of our new 22 sport fb. My wife and I decided to name the Airstream Pearl after her Saab 900s turbo that clocked over 350,000 miles before her official retirement.

I picked up The airstream in Salt Lake City in the fall and promptly drove over to antelope island for my first night camping in the airstream with my dog. Antelope Island is a tremendously beautiful place to camp. I’ve heard the bugs can be bad but we didn’t experience that at all in the fall. I did see a lot of antelope and Bison and had an amazing first night in pearl.

Here is Pearl when I picked her up at Airstream of Utah, after a fantastic no frills purchase.

Next up we drove about half hour to Antelope island, an island in the Great Salt Lake.

We saw bison and had a good time.

Sunrise on antelope

It was a short trip and we dead headed home to Montana

We parked Pearl near the local ski hill for some winter shenanigans. We spent about ten nights in Pearl with temps as low as -10 and stayed warm.

The campsite was a stones throw from the East Fork of the Bitterroot river and these two cuties had a blast

Winter delivered a lot of good times in the airstream

We skied a ton and had many backcountry adventures off the continental divide trail skiing from Montana down into Idaho. Ski nirvana.

The snow was deeper then the dog at times.

View out pearls door of campground

Winter was good to us and the only hiccup was when the heater blower motor sucked up a QC sticker and decided to remind me of the sound my bike made as a child when I put playing cards in the spokes. Easy fix.

I did notice the floating vinyl floor had some issues after all the cold temps but it’s no biggie, it just appears to have stretched at different rates near the table pedestal and counters. Not a deal breaker.

So winter ended and it was time for spring. I took a trip to Utah to go dirt biking. Against my better judgment I left Pearl at home and slept in my tent. Next time pearls going with, because it was windy windy windy in the tent. Also a buddy had his camper and he was comfortable.

Once home from Utah I tackled putting the segment protectors on Pearl. I’ll add that I had used gorilla tape with great success as an added layer of protection until I could get the protectors on.

I had purchased the smaller one first and they seemed tiny and didn’t offer much coverage. After some negotiations with airstream Spokane he agreed to take the little ones back and I ended up with the larger segment protectors.

The install wasn’t hard but it wasn’t easy. Measure a lot and double check everything.

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

We took a to Sun Valley Idaho. The drive took me through the Idaho National Laboratory area south of salmon Idaho and around the mountains over to sun valley. We drove through a snow storm and lots of wind with no problems.

We stayed at a KOA in Arco ID and stopped at craters of the moon national preserve. The volcanic activity that took place in this area is amazing. It’s still evidenced by the number of hot springs and well the super volcano in Yellowstone that still exists underground today.

Craters of the moon. Pictures don’t really do it justice.

Traveling buddy

Almost full moon was lighting the airstream through the skylight.

Coming home through Lemhi valley Idaho

Which brings us to today, we’ve got about 12 nights in Pearl since fall and looking for many more.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
SANTA MARIA , California
So while you're off skiing, do you leave a heater on inside your trailer to keep it from freezing, pipes breaking?
Golden Central Coast of California
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorwug View Post
So while you're off skiing, do you leave a heater on inside your trailer to keep it from freezing, pipes breaking?
During the winter we are dry camping and the airstream is winterized. The campground has hookups so you could have water and leave the heat on. We chose not to mess with water because temps can get into the negative.

When camping we plug in and have power, when not camping we unplug because Pearl is winterized. It stays warm and condensation is minimal if you vent the windows. Also its a dry high desert climate where I live and thus humidity is normally low in the winter.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
During the winter we are dry camping and the airstream is winterized. The campground has hookups so you could have water and leave the heat on. We chose not to mess with water because temps can get into the negative.

When camping we plug in and have power, when not camping we unplug because Pearl is winterized. It stays warm and condensation is minimal if you vent the windows. Also its a dry high desert climate where I live and thus humidity is normally low in the winter.
For those looking to snow camp, I installed 10 gallon auxiliary tank under the kitchen counter so we can have water at the sink and dishwasher without worrying about freezing. The other pipes are blown out and shut off with valves. I have a small electric heater under the sink to keep the sink and dishwasher pipes from freezing if we are away from the trailer for more than 24 hours.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote