Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Laurel Hill , Florida
Storage ideas for 16, Bambi?

Picked up the new 2017 16' Bambi Friday.
Looking at the storage space and need some ideas on how to store needed items.
Also two side question"
1. What to you think of the open space under seats by the door and how do you use this space?
2. How do you use the A/C....by this I mean what setting do you use?
Drake1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Hi Drake,
Wow, you have your 2017, how wonderful. We have 4 weeks to go before we pick up ours. To keep myself occupied I have been making lots of plans for storage in the 16' by scanning pinterist and making friends on this Forum. Check out the posts and photos by Big Air. She has some very smart ideas on how to maximize all the nooks and crannies. Big Air's recent photos addresses the space under the seat, behind the drawer. Check out the tub she found that fits in the space. She was nice enough to shoot a picture of the tub's dimensions.
We have also talked about using little wire baskets with suctions cups, the kind for sponges, and other small items. Besides sponges, you can stow tea bags, Via packets, salt and pepper shakers, etc. Get all those small, often used, items off the counter and onto the walls. A couple wall mounted magazine racks from West Marine should work nicely, too.
There is another post worth looking at regarding the little closet. Several Streamers are installing wire closet shelves. Additionally, get some small baskets to fit in the roof cabinets. Use them to stack a collect of small things on top of larger things. A kitchen shelf divider (horizontally) works great to tuck something above of a set of plates.
Get a selection of Command hooks. Use the additional hooks in your bathroom to secure a handled container for your soap and shampoo gear. If you don't use the little shower then you can grab the container from the hook and head for the campground showers. I found a suction cup toothbrush/paste unit on Amazon. This will save space in the medicine cabinet.
One more thing, for now. Remember the kitchen wire baskets for sponges? Get a couple more for the bedroom. Big Air says there is a USB port in there. Pop your phone in the basket on the wall and charge it up. Get another one for something to charge in the AC plug, too.

Have fun!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have 19' bambi, in the drawer under the seat by ypthe door, I kerp my pigtails, emergency jack turner thingy, tire chocks, power box for pole, hitch lock, ball grease, anything associated with hitching and on hitching. We also have small clear tub we put our boards in while traveling, along with water filter. Once at venue and boards and filter being used, the box sits outside the door. Toilet chemicals kept under vanity.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
River Falls , Wisconsin
Hi Drake,
I hope you like your Bambi. I'm on my 3rd summer with a 16 foot, and I've attached a few pictures of some things I've done to add storage. Nothing too drastic, just more cosmetic. It's usually just me and a dog or the dog, me and my teen daughter, so we don't carry a lot of stuff. In that open space by the door, under the seats, I stash the fire extinguisher and a lantern. I took the fire extinguisher out of the holder where it came because I set up a rack there to hold shoes and dog dishes. No more kicking over the dog dishes and wondering where to put the shoes. Looking forward to hearing/seeing what you do to personalize and solve your storage dilemmas. As small as the trailer is, it took me a couple of summers before I realized what changes would make the space more usable for me. Now it's perfect. Good luck and enjoy.
Sue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under bed.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	264521   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	264522  

Name:	mini bar.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	264523   Click image for larger version

Name:	entry.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	264524  

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	264525  
smsmith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Smith 50 those look great.

Sometimes it really is the small stuff that personalizes and makes these trailers work for us.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Congratulations. We had a lot of fun in our 16' Bambi, including camping trips of up to 6 weeks at a stretch. Now we have a palatial 19-Bambi. Just some general suggestions:

1. There is a long still-active thread called Small Space Living. It is primarily about space-saving gadgets for Interstate owners, but is full of good ideas for Bambi owners.

2. Have you got a truck with a cap (canopy, topper) on the truck bed by any chance? We were able to put all kinds of camping gear back there, suitcases, spare picnic cooler, and so on. If you've got a truck or are thinking about one as your TV, this is a huge help. The sixteener is light enough that we did fine towing it all over the mountains with a Toyota Tacoma.

3. We occasionally store/ed stuff in the foot well of the dinette, but not having things stowed away in a cupboard is a big hassle for stuff we actually use a lot, or if more than two of us were seated. Our preference would be to keep all floor areas clear, notably because if you have a dog it can sleep under the table or under the bed in front of the bottom cupboard if you don't have to run the furnace. Imagine having a lot of stuff occupying your scarce real estate on the floor when you're forced indoors on a cold rainy day.

4. The main issue with stuff is just to (a) minimize it, and (b) see if there is a lighter, smaller version of stuff you want to take. So no coffee maker for us, but we use a metal carafe-style drip coffee pot with a collapsible filter cone that we bought at REI. Petite LED flashlights. Dishes packed into plastic rectangular tubs that have multiple uses. Small sizes of toiletries and cleaning supplies. Stacking dishes. Stemless crystal wine glasses. Food packed into square, not round, containers. No hair dryer, toaster, or other electric appliances.

Mountain shops like REI are great sources of very compact, sturdy, lightweight gear. You might also consider packing cubes (available at REI) for all your clothes, rolling your clothes into the packing cubes, and ensuring that all your clothes go well with one another. Nothing too light-coloured that looks dirty easily. (If you're a traveler you know about this already.)

I confess we never got into all kinds of wall-mounting. Suction cups may or may not stay put during a drive, and we didn't want to mar the walls with screws or tape. Mostly we dislike clutter in such a small space. Something to think about is that a small space feels a lot more cluttered than a big space, given the same amount of stuff. Anything that can fall off or fall out while you drive probably will at some point if it's not securely fastened-- notably if you drive on bumpy roads.

We seldom use the AC, so the setting depends upon how blasted hot it actually gets. We can't run it off our generator, so it's not good for boondocking sites, anyway.

Anyway, we all learn by making mistakes and a long period of adjustment and knowing what does/doesn't work for us. We sacrifice on the personalization, but that's fine with us.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote