Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
Stabilizer jacks Sports 16'

The first of what I'm sure will be many questions as I get to know my new Bambi....
The right front stabilizer is located smack in the middle of where the step is attached. There is no way (at least no way I can figure out) to put down the stabilizer with the hand crank. I know I can use a socket and a drill but I hate to have to carry something else. This just doesn't seem right! The other three are no problem but you can't get to the right front without hitting the step...
For those of you with 16's, is this how yours is set up?? I've emailed picture to the dealer for their feedback as well. Thanks much!

Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-96295846.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	198415  
Breezin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes, welcome to our world!!!

Our BIGGEST frustration with this but we have been doing it for over a year.

What you need to do is, have the step first in the "closed/up position". Then lift the step up like you are opening hte space between the "moveable step" and the other one.

Stick the hand crank right int he middle and make contact with the stabilizer. I like to squat a little then let the step rest on my left knee ( if I am facing the Tow vehicle). Then start to crank. At first you may have the hand crand rubbing on the step a bit, but you'll get the hang of it.

I know it's awkward, but we haven't figured anything else. Just get the hand crank between the steps. If we kept the Bambi at home, I'd get you a picture, pronto, but it's not. Next time though. Maybe a movie as well.

Yeah it's a bugger, but it's ok. Now, if I could figure out why they put only one bathroom towel rod on the door instead of two - one above the other would have been perfect!

Good Luck.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Doesn't the step close up to where it is even with the belly pan when in the travel mode?
If so, access to the stabilizer should not be any different than the other 3.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
Yes, welcome to our world!!!
Thanks BAAMbi7, good to know I'm not alone :-) I just thought "surely it isn't designed to be this way". I tried open and closed but not half-opened so I'll try that next.
I appreciate the advise.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Doesn't the step close up to where it is even with the belly pan when in the travel mode? If so, access to the stabilizer should not be any different than the other 3.
No - not flush, it hangs down just enough that the bend in the hand crank hits the bottom of the step if you try to turn it from underneath. Same if you put the step out... it then hits the top of the step.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Ill get over there tomorrow, but when the step is "closed" the "bottom" step is resting on the non-moving step.

When you raise or lift the front part of the movable step just about 3-4 inches, it will allow just enough access to insert the hand crank into the stabilizer pin.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Taking the picture is a little challenging, but see if you can see how this works.

The first is with the step "ajar" a bit up fro the fixed step. The back of the "lifted step is also "opened" up to allow the bar to pass back.

The second is if you push it up all the way toward the body of the trailer - be careful of the silver!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	198536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4908.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	198537  

Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
oops, both reflect the first scenario. i didnt put in a pic of the "fully opened" step.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
Thanks much BAAMbi7 - I will try this tomorrow (I also store offsite). I don't think I have that much clearance but I'm taking the pictures and the ipad with me :-) Thank you for taking the time to send these!!

Deb
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
There should be the same amount of clearance in yours as in mine. Let me know how you make out. If not, I'll try a video next time. It's definitely a PIA, but I'm not sure how they could have alterd the design based on where the stabilizers must be located.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Dblackb -

On my new 16, I can angle the hand crank into the jack twist with the step in the travel (or closed) position and still get it to bite and crank. No need to angle the step up or anything like that. I agree that it is funky ... but not a big deal at least on mine.

Hope you are enjoying your new Airstream!
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
Thanks all for the suggestions/pictures. You're right, not ideal (and it doesn't help that I'm left handed) but doable. Appreciate all the input.

No matter - I still love my new Airstream!!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Dblackb -

Just curious ... what is your tow vehicle and which hitch are you using?

Also, noticed that you have the aluminum/steel propane tank cover. Did the dealer install that for you as an extra? If so, how much roughly? Heard they are not cheap.

Your setup looks great!
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Palm Coast , Florida
norcal bass -
I tow with a Ford F150, V8. Right now I'm towing with just the ball and a friction sway bar. Dealer insisted I didn't need WD hitch and I'm going to tow a couple of times and then decide. Tongue weight is well below what Ford recommends for a WD hitch as well. We'll see.
Yes, dealer installed the propane tank cover and I also had them add segment protectors on the front. And definitely NOT cheap (about $1400 for all 3 pieces). But I live in FL so was worried about how fast the plastic would look bad. If I had it to do over, I would still get the propane cover but leave off the segment protectors. They are not hinged like the FC so you have to undo the whole thing to clean behind. Should have thought that out better and asked instead of assuming they would be the same as on the FC.