Old 08-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Two thoughts, first one first (fancy that). I haven't seen this mentioned above.

1. Take some black PVC tape, and cut off 4 pieces about 6" long. Go to your trailer, pick out one of the boltheads (on your stomach or back if you have to) and put one of the tape pieces on the curve of the shell (on the banana roll or whatever) in line with the bolt in such a fashion that you can see the outside one or two inches of the end of the tape from a standing position. Do the same for all 3 of the remaining bolthead locations. Now for number 2.

2. Using the drill (and the key is to use a battery impact drill, not an ordinary battery variety), you can easily KNOW where the bolt head axis is, even if you can't see it, and feel the end of the bolt with one hand even blindfolded. Obviously, a small flashlight is indispensable.

It's a snap, even at 6 AM or 11 PM in the dark. One suggestion is to do each bolt quickly (either up or down) if you neighbors might be asleep....

This is by courtesy of my Dad, who did this first (so far as I know) on his '74 Ambassador.

Kent
Houston

Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
OOOOps.....I didn't see #28 when I "penned" the previous.....

Kent

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Explanation from our dealer regarding all the short cuts on the Sports is "weight reduction". That's why, supposedly, there are no section rock protectors, metal LP bottle covers, rear bumper and smaller jacks and tanks, etc. Clearly, cost is a major factor not to mention the extra profits from adding the missing pieces as many of us do. Still, I wish they had spent the extra few bucks and pounds to make the jacks more accessible.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Most do not know that the Sport has a different brand, a different tip, and a different location, for the stabilizers, than the standard or even the non Sport Bambi. So sockets and extensions will not work. Buy a replacement crank, saw it off at the first bend. It will then fit a drill nicely. You will still have to get on your knees to be able to find it underneath.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Landing legs.

I went to Harbor Fright and bought a 5/8 deep well socket 3/8 drive and used a angle grinder to add a 1"long slot. I had also bought a 24" extension and speed handle for the socket. With about four or five cranks I have extended to the ground then give it a little snug crank and that's it. I know the feeling of gravel on the knees so I use knees pads. With a little practice it gets easer.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The solution I found was to weld a 10" long half-inch bolt (which has a 3/4" hex head on it) to the end of the stabilizer-jack screw. This brought the 3/4" hex out to the edge of the Airstream where it's visible and easily addressed with a $18 Harbor Freight rechargeable drill and the common 3/4" socket sold for other stab-jacks.

If you can weld, simply use a 1" piece of angle-iron and a pair of C-clamps to align the bolt with the screwjack. Laying both into the angle and clamping will keep them in alignment while you weld the bolt onto the end of the screwjack.

If you cannot weld and hire someone else to do this, then any competent welder can align them fine.

Simple solution. Works great.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The solution I found was to weld a 10" long half-inch bolt (which has a 3/4" hex head on it) to the end of the stabilizer-jack screw. This brought the 3/4" hex out to the edge of the Airstream where it's visible and easily addressed with a $18 Harbor Freight rechargeable drill and the common 3/4" socket sold for other stab-jacks.

If you can weld, simply use a 1" piece of angle-iron and a pair of C-clamps to align the bolt with the screwjack. Laying both into the angle and clamping will keep them in alignment while you weld the bolt onto the end of the screwjack.

If you cannot weld and hire someone else to do this, then any competent welder can align them fine.

Simple solution. Works great.
This sounds like a great solution. Did you remove the jacks to weld on the bolt or were you able to do it on the trailer?
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
This sounds like a great solution. Did you remove the jacks to weld on the bolt or were you able to do it on the trailer?
I did it ON the trailer. (I clamped the grounding-clamp directly to the screwjack being presently welded to avoid any possibility of stray currents thru any battery and/or converter/electronics.)

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote