Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
Sport 22FB Winterizing Questions

I know there's a full section on winterizing, but I believe this could be more related to the Sport series. Then again, I have been wrong in the past, so I might still be wrong today.

1. I winterized my trailer last winter, but I think I did something wrong. Here's what I did:
I bought a winterizing kit, which didn't work on my trailer because of where the pump is installed, but I still manged to empty all the lines and get the anti-freeze in.
2. Fast forward to the Spring and after de-winterizing the trailer, I seem to always have air in the system while using the pump. If connected to city water, no issues whatsoever. When using the pump, the pump runs longer than it should - my guess is it is compressing the air in the system. (I also own a Jayco and the pump turns off almost instantly, while on the airstream it takes a lot longer for the pump to shut off - reaching the proper pressure).
Even after using regularly, I still see (feel) air coming out the spouts.

So question one is this: Any idea what I could have done to get this issue? Maybe a valve not in the right position?

Second question,

I read the winterizing in my manual, and they say to empty all the line with the pump, then with pressured air (I have compressor at home, so I can do it). There is no mention of adding anti-freeze in the fresh water line, only in the drainage.

Anyone using this method? Or should I still try to fill the lines with antifreeze?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCQH View Post
I know there's a full section on winterizing, but I believe this could be more related to the Sport series. Then again, I have been wrong in the past, so I might still be wrong today.

1. I winterized my trailer last winter, but I think I did something wrong. Here's what I did:
I bought a winterizing kit, which didn't work on my trailer because of where the pump is installed, but I still manged to empty all the lines and get the anti-freeze in.
2. Fast forward to the Spring and after de-winterizing the trailer, I seem to always have air in the system while using the pump. If connected to city water, no issues whatsoever. When using the pump, the pump runs longer than it should - my guess is it is compressing the air in the system. (I also own a Jayco and the pump turns off almost instantly, while on the airstream it takes a lot longer for the pump to shut off - reaching the proper pressure).
Even after using regularly, I still see (feel) air coming out the spouts.

So question one is this: Any idea what I could have done to get this issue? Maybe a valve not in the right position?

Second question,

I read the winterizing in my manual, and they say to empty all the line with the pump, then with pressured air (I have compressor at home, so I can do it). There is no mention of adding anti-freeze in the fresh water line, only in the drainage.

Anyone using this method? Or should I still try to fill the lines with antifreeze?

Thanks in advance.
BC I will make a quick comment: The air in the lines can be flushed if you fill the fresh tank and just turn on the pump and at least one faucet and let it run. Eventually, the water will fill that line as the air flows out. Do the same for all faucets and the shower and toilet. Eventually you will get water flowing again unless there is a leak in the lines themselves.

My thoughts if no water in lines during the winter, then why add antifreeze. But I'm in Texas and we just don't get the low temps you do.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
I blow all my lines out with compressed air and then no need for AF. I do still dump a bit of AF down each drain to prevent freezing there.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinjen View Post
I blow all my lines out with compressed air and then no need for AF. I do still dump a bit of AF down each drain to prevent freezing there.

I'm going to try that method this year. If it works in Calgary, it will work in Vancouver.

Cheers,

SG
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCQH View Post
I'm going to try that method this year. If it works in Calgary, it will work in Vancouver.

Cheers,

SG
From my experience it works great, is easy and only takes me about 10 mins. Since I camp right through to November I often do it between trips just to ensure nothing freezes. I bought a $2 part that threads into the city water hookup and accepts a standard tire inflation chuck.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Just make sure that your compressor isn’t putting oil into your lines, as that is far nastier than antifreeze. Buy an air dryer for paint spraying and install it before the air enters your trailer. Keep in mind that any air hoses may carry oil, so put it at the end of the line.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #7

1999 25' Safari
Smyrna , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinjen View Post
From my experience it works great, is easy and only takes me about 10 mins. Since I camp right through to November I often do it between trips just to ensure nothing freezes. I bought a $2 part that threads into the city water hookup and accepts a standard tire inflation chuck.
Where did you get the $2 part?
dbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Quick search on Amazon for RV blow out plug (with either quick connect or schrader valve, depending on compressor hose connection).
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Brass-C...tion+for+water
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P235...tion+for+water
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Just make sure that your compressor isn’t putting oil into your lines, as that is far nastier than antifreeze. Buy an air dryer for paint spraying and install it before the air enters your trailer. Keep in mind that any air hoses may carry oil, so put it at the end of the line.
Very good point, here. I used an old t-shirt and an air blow gun/nozzle. I left all the hoses disconnected. By the time I got to my storage, there was water on the floor. So I wipe it, open the rough vent, and left a towel on the ground. I'll go a few time in the next few weeks to make sure it is bone dry.

Are you reconnecting the pump right away or keeping the hoses off it for the winter?
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Sounds like air is getting in the system from something left disconnected. Did you turn off or plug the opening you tried to put the antifreze in. Did you get the pump inlet and outlet fittings tight. Now check that the water filter just before the pump is not loose or cracked.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
Walmart RV Section
Mento05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
BCQH, after winterizing my 22FB last fall, my pump was sucking air this spring when we took her out. All connections were tight. I then noticed the plastic "washer" that fits inside the inlet hose to pump fitting had fallen out prior to connecting. I put that back in and all was good. It would be great if your situation were also that simple.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty View Post
BCQH, after winterizing my 22FB last fall, my pump was sucking air this spring when we took her out. All connections were tight. I then noticed the plastic "washer" that fits inside the inlet hose to pump fitting had fallen out prior to connecting. I put that back in and all was good. It would be great if your situation were also that simple.

That totally make sense. I'll check this out for sure. I took both hoses off too, doubling my chances of that happening.
What makes me think you're right is no issues with city water and I think I saw some moisture near the pump, but wasn't sure if it was from me fiddling around it, or it leaked.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
SilverHouseDreams, hey neighbor...Is this what you are refereeing to?

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Fi...32HMR0H0EXWJGY

or

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-30252A-...F862JEF20DGKGV

any spec of link appreciated.

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
SilverHouseDreams, hey neighbor...Is this what you are refereeing to?

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-30252A-...F862JEF20DGKGV

any spec of link appreciated.

bob

I use one like the Neiko, if not that exact one. It captures a good bit of moisture and general nasty that I wouldn’t want in my water lines.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I use one like the Neiko, if not that exact one. It captures a good bit of moisture and general nasty that I wouldn’t want in my water lines.

Excellent, thanks!!

happy trails.
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
once the antifreeze is in the system don't forget to flush the toilet to get AF through the water valves. Blowing compressed air through the system does not clear the toilet valves, they still hold water. your call!
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #18
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
I remember my first trailer, I had to replace to toilet valve. Now I can see all the pieces of the puzzle falling into place.
Will do the antifreeze again this year, not worth the risk.

Thanks to all the replies and wisdom. Very much appreciated.

Stéphane
Old 10-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
Another question re: winterizing a Sport 22FB

We have a 2017, picked up from the dealer winterized this last April, so this is our first time winterizing. We found all the low point drains and figured out the correct configuration for the bypass valve, but have not yet blown out the pipes.

The owners manual and the pump manual discuss disconnecting the pump lines, but we want to make sure we are doing this correctly. We've opened the low point drains and the outside shower and because the process got interrupted, ran the pump briefly on with all the lines open to try to clear out as much as possible (checking the forecasts frequently for impending freeze temps here in Nebraska)

BUT, before running compressed air, we understand we are supposed to do this:

1. Disconnect both(?) input and output lines to the pump and run the pump briefly to clear any residual water; Then without reconnecting the pump lines,
2. Run the compressed air with all the faucets open (with somebody holding the toilet flusher open as well).

[Neither the owners' manual, nor the pump owners' manual tell us this, but we are assuming the reason for leaving the pump out of the loop for compressed air is to protect it somehow.]

Then, in order to get antifreeze back into the system (also not expressly stated in either owners' manual), RECONNECT the output line (duh) before running the hose from the pump input into the bottle of pink stuff.

The only other issue we are running into is that the pump in our unit is positioned right under the refrigerator with the input output lines facing away from the closet opening so it will take some acrobatics to make sure the lines are threaded securely when they are reconnected. If anybody has any suggestions, please please please feel free to share! Thanks to the OP for the discussion specific to the 22FB!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I've attached the winterizing procedure that I have used for the last eight or nine years. I suppose if I lived in a harsher environment that I would do some things differently. I am always amazed at how much water is in the system when I drain it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf winterize.pdf (51.5 KB, 123 views)