Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Sport 22FB - Dometic 3-way Fridge - Storage

I believe that the Sport 22FB is the only current model AS that has the automatic, 3-way fridge (12v, LPG, 120v). BTW, the 12v seems to work well when travelling and my Jeep heavy duty alternator seems to be able to keep up with the draw.

The only PDF manual that I was able to find online with a similar Dometic fridge has the following photo with this description of operation for storage: "Release the locking mechanism of the door lock by pushing it and shift it to the front. If the door is shut in this position, a small gap is nevertheless kept open to prevent formation of mildew.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic 3-way Door Catch.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	269891

When putting the coach into storage for a few weeks I like to have the door held partially open to prevent mildew from forming inside. This mechanism works to hold the door open, but prevents it from opening more or closing. The door is unlatched in the usual way by pressing the release on the top of the door.

I was able to get this mechanism to move into the storage position, but had to partially remove the clear plastic cover in order to get the latch gate to move forward. Is there a trick to make this operation easier?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Florida , Florida
Thanks for posting this. Just picked up a 22FB and was going to get one of those plastic door props. I will take a look at my fridge later this week.
sm171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I find that we can just not really close the door completely when we store, and it has been fine.

Only issue we have had with the refrigerator was the door open sensor not realizing that the door WAS closed during camping, which leads to the alarm beeping once a minute or so. Quite annoying. A trip to Google lead me to wad up a small bit of duct tape and cram it into the slot, so that the door catch pushes it in deep enough to trip the door close sensor.

Hope that you enjoy your 22 as much as we do.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have taken our "Chick" in for service on this beeping refrigerator door alarm 2 times under warranty. Service Advisor at the Airstream dealer says Dometic won't let him replace the part. Not sure what the dealership is doing to fix the problem but the first fix lasted a few trips. One the second fix now. Thanks for the heads up on the Google search for a duct tape fix Piggy Bank.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
I am very familiar with the mechanism that you are referring to and have pictured in your message. I couldn't get mine to work either until I really soaked it with a silicon lubricant that is suitable for plastics. It is still really stiff but it works.
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Florida , Florida
I tried the storage latch on my fridge for the first time this weekend. The latch was a little tight at first, but works great now.
sm171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
I have taken our "Chick" in for service on this beeping refrigerator door alarm 2 times under warranty. Service Advisor at the Airstream dealer says Dometic won't let him replace the part. Not sure what the dealership is doing to fix the problem but the first fix lasted a few trips. One the second fix now. Thanks for the heads up on the Google search for a duct tape fix Piggy Bank.
Mine started doing this this morning. Same as you. Dometic says door sensor or control board. Board is $500. A month for door sensor (Don't know cost) No luck yet with duct tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwin6601 View Post
I am very familiar with the mechanism that you are referring to and have pictured in your message. I couldn't get mine to work either until I really soaked it with a silicon lubricant that is suitable for plastics. It is still really stiff but it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm171 View Post
I tried the storage latch on my fridge for the first time this weekend. The latch was a little tight at first, but works great now.
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote