Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Soon to be new owner, any tips before purchase?

Hey everyone, my wife and i are about to purchase a used 2018 sport 22fb. It comes with some upgrades and its only been used a couple of times. Ofcourse because its used it no longer has warranty. Any tips on what to look for before purchase? Anything that's been an issue with this model year?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
http://bfy.tw/MLYh
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
warranty limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swrider View Post
Hey everyone, my wife and i are about to purchase a used 2018 sport 22fb. It comes with some upgrades and its only been used a couple of times. Ofcourse because its used it no longer has warranty. Any tips on what to look for before purchase? Anything that's been an issue with this model year?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated
If the trailer is less than 2 years from the date of original delivery, the remaining time can be transferred to new owner. I believe an inspection by a Airstream dealer is needed and there is a small transfer fee. Check this out. Welcome to the Airstream world.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
We recently purchased a used AS from a dealer. We purchased an extended , transferable warranty through AVIVA for 4 or 5 years to go with it. Piece of mind. In Canada
Douglas Fir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Monmouth , Illinois
Thumbs up

Power up everything, turn on all lights, run all faucets, flush the toilets, turn on water heater, run furnance in the summer and A/C, Operate stove, check for freezer working, extend awnings, open and close all cabinet and closet doors, if you buy one, have a second or third set of keys to the main door immediately. Keep one set outside the airstream, should you get lock out, and you will, you will have a way to get back in. Hope this helps
Dschonfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
You may wnt to take a look at this link. http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1215128295
You didn't say if you have any RV experience so you may want to consider getting "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" and "The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance".
Also, YouTube videos by LoLoHo are very informative. The do have a video on purchasing an Airstream as well.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Port Richey , Florida
If this is your 1st Airstream I would recommend you looking at several YouTube videos on that year’s make and model. Also I would go online and download the owner’s manual, then read it to familiarize yourself with the location and functions of all the systems. Check tires for mold or rot and gray/black waste gates for sticking. Awnings should be let down to check for damage and proper operation. Good luck and do your homework. ����
Jstsal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Silver Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschonfelder View Post
Power up everything, turn on all lights, run all faucets, flush the toilets, turn on water heater, run furnance in the summer and A/C, Operate stove, check for freezer working, extend awnings, open and close all cabinet and closet doors, if you buy one, have a second or third set of keys to the main door immediately. Keep one set outside the airstream, should you get lock out, and you will, you will have a way to get back in. Hope this helps
What he said!
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We bought our 2015 used Bambi 22 FB last year. I watched every YouTube video on anything to do with Airstreams, until my eyes bled. I took copious notes, and made a check list of what my 2015 should be equipped with (you can watch videos with walk throughs from dealers). I went to the dealer with my checklist and that in itself proved to them I knew what I was talking about. I had them give my husband a dolly that he could lay on to go under the airstream and he noticed that one of the stabilizers was bent, not something the dealer had mentioned but something they did fix. The curtains separating the bed from the rest of the areas were missing, and they sent me the curtains. I also was missing keys, and those were sent to me as well. My point? Do your homework, and don't fall in love with the airstream to the point that you might miss something. Once you get your airstream be prepared for many hours of joy and some minutes of frustration (little quirky things happen in life), and bring along a well stocked tool box and your inner McGuiver.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Lots of good advice.
The awning can be tricky to set up first time...and a few after that.
Find a video on how to set up a zip dee awning.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Gresham , Oregon
checking out airstream

One thing that nobody brought up was condition of floor. Get down on your hands an knees and tap tap with your knuckles on the floor near the back wall, water heater, front wall, etc. A ping would indicate good flooring and a thud could indicate soft flooring. Very important that the floor has no rot as this repair could be very costly.
skido23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Wowza, thank you all for your responses!!!
This will be our first airstream, and first rv to boot, thanks for all the tips and what to look fir. The sport we are loo k I ng at is a 2018 model, so i am hoping that i wont find any issues with it, but i will be looking at everything it has and what it comes with!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swrider View Post
Wowza, thank you all for your responses!!!
This will be our first airstream, and first rv to boot, thanks for all the tips and what to look fir. The sport we are loo k I ng at is a 2018 model, so i am hoping that i wont find any issues with it, but i will be looking at everything it has and what it comes with!

Great advice so far from everyone. These forums are just outstanding!

Since this is your first of any kind of RV - I always recommend scheduling an RV Safe Driver training class for your first weekend of ownership. Google for something close to you - Escapees does them, CDL (commercial driver license) centers do them, perhaps others - well worth it in my opinion. My wife and I did so and it was a great introduction to this new challenge and helped significantly reduce the anxiety.

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The common advice is that you'll end up buying two RVs. Your first one and then the second once you figure out what you really want/need. As long as you are getting a good enough deal on the first then trading won't be too bad.

The only knock I hear about 22s is the bathroom at the end wipes out all the windows in half the trailer (making it darker) and that with two people in the bed, someone is always climbing over the other in the middle of the night. If neither of those things bother you then go for it.

You'd have to go to a 25' to address both of those issues.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
All great advice so far. When testing the plumbing, make sure everything works with and without the trailer hooked up to a city water line. When you’re not connected to city water you’re using the water pump and fresh water tank. You’ll hear the sound of the pump and know what to expect (a common surprise for newbies).

Also, check systems with and without shore power. You’ll see the difference between running things on your battery and running off a 30-amp plug.

Check your fridge on power and propane. Same for your water heater if it’s so equipped.

Look for signs of leaks. Could be discolored surfaces, odd odors, soft floors, etc.

Then, make sure they show you how to hitch up and how to unhitch before you pull away.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
And ... what will you tow with? You want to be sure it’s adequate, and you may want to get help setting up weight distribution hitch and sway control; those are critical to relaxed and safe towing.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Again to everyone, thanks for all the advice and comments.
My wife and i aren't too concerned with towing. We have a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3l V8, and that has served us well when towing a trailer with a skid steer on it, which overall is about 8500lbs, so the airstream shouldn't be a problem. Only difference is that now the airstream has a bigger profile and so wind will be a bigger factor.
We've made a big list of things to check before we take it off the lot and if anything doesn't work, or we miss something the trailer will still have about 1-1/2yrs worth of manufacturer's warranty [emoji16]
Things i still need to research, solar. I will have two 100watt panels and two 6v batteries, so i need to know how long i can last on a charge vs how long it takes to recharge on solar. Will i be able to recharge at the same rate i use it???
And then ofclurse the fun stuff, where to take it and what to put in it [emoji16]
Thanks again to everyone who's stopped by and left some info. Much appreciated
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

2018 22' Sport
League City , Texas
Just picked up our gently used 2018 sport 22fb in December. Congratulations and welcome. Endure and absorb the 2-3 hour walkthrough and as mentioned touch, open and operate EVERYTHING! I even asked about missing rivets and they replaced them all on the spot. On our shakeout trip we found we had missed a problem with the hot water heater. A known issue with control panel that my husband has since replaced. Make sure you fire it up. We got warranty for AIRSTREAM built parts but warranty did not convey for appliances etc.
paixsoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
One question that did come up before, they are offering an extended 7 year warranty that covers pretty much everything, including the appliances, does anyone know if this is a good value?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Soon to be new owner, any tips before purchase?

Save your money. Put the cost of the so-called warranty in a bank account for trailer repairs. Typical warranties are written to be impossible to comply with, have more restrictions than benefits, and are only a way for the dealer to make more profit.

Search the forums, and get more details. IMHO the only warranty worth a darn on an Airstream is the two or three year new trailer warranty directly from Airstream/Thor Industries. Any aftermarket one will have tons of fine print that makes it useless.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote