Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Shaking up Bambi

Hi All -

I'm relatively new to this forum, and first timer TT owner with our new Bambi 19'. My TV is my work truck, a Chevy HD2500 Duramax. It loves to pull, and towing my Bambi and construction trailers is a breeze. I do see a lot of posts regarding "too much tow vehicle" having ill-effects on trailers.

- should I worry? - what can I change in setup?

I also don't like the oem receiver much. It looks to wimpy, and want to replace it with a nice tough draw-tite or reese, which may be stiffer than the oem. Any thoughts??

Best to All.

TS
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Hello,

Airstreamers with a larger tow vehicle, and a smaller trailer, may feel that they do not need a weight distribution setup. However, with a single axle trailer, even though it may feel “fine” while towing without hitch work, the reality is that the trailer will bounce around like a basket ball, shaking, and rattling the interior items such as cabinets and structure.

I would also recommend upgrading the hitch on your truck to an aftermarket Reese, as there have been posts on the forums that the welds were failing on a stock receiver.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Hi,

My tow vehicle certainly isn’t large (tiny by your standards) – but regardless what I am towing (boat, utility trailer, pop-up) I’ve never been a big fan of having the trailer flop around behind me.

Our Bambi seems pretty stable most of the time – but when it decides to give itself a shake things can certainly move around – the most common is a scattering of the contents of the medicine cabinet from above the bathroom sink into the bathroom sink. Dust can also be a factor – and a few mystery screws make themselves apparent every now and then.

The only one that was any kind of major irritant was this past summer on a road in Newfoundland that included a bunch of frost heaves – the twisting caused the walls on each side of the bathroom vanity to begin separating from the sink counter. I ended up adding additional bracing – and I’m comfortable that it can’t happen again – but I was disappointed that it happened at all – made me think that Wally Byam might have been a little embarrassed given his fondness for serious safari’s in much wilder country …..

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
Hello,

Airstreamers with a larger tow vehicle, and a smaller trailer, may feel that they do not need a weight distribution setup. However, with a single axle trailer, even though it may feel “fine” while towing without hitch work, the reality is that the trailer will bounce around like a basket ball, shaking, and rattling the interior items such as cabinets and structure.

I would also recommend upgrading the hitch on your truck to an aftermarket Reese, as there have been posts on the forums that the welds were failing on a stock receiver.
Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that you brought WD into this discussion. I do not presently have a WD setup. This forum is the only place where WD is (pretty much) wholly recommended, even with my TV/TT combo. I have been to all the RV and TT dealers in my area and none (that's right, none) say that I should have WD. My selling dealer also said no. One of the dealers here doesn't even sell them. And the another (biggest one) only installs the equalizer on small TV's.

The concept you imply is that a WD/anti-sway setup reduces "bouncing around" of the TT because it is more firmly linked to the TV. The opposite is what the concern of my original post was, that is, the TV sending too much movement into the TT a-frame.

If that is true, then a wd/antisway setup on my truck would increase the forces on the TT a-frame.....which is my worry in this post. My Bambi is bouncing around (not so much) on it's own suspension right now, without a wd/antisway setup to my stiff suspension truck.

So, I am truely confused and wondering....

(BTW, I have read/skimmed the lengthy posts and threads in this forum about wd/sway control.....to do it or not. I pretty much came away with the notion that I should have it, then went to all my close by dealers....as mentioned above....)
Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Also, btw, everything inside my Bambi has stayed put and closed on my travels thus far.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
It would seem your experience with your setup suggests nothing else is needed. In my case Honda does not recommend a WD and I seem to have an optimal setup too, as I do not experience bounce or sway and have been in 40mph crosswinds. I believe the lighter single axle coaches properly loaded are more forgiving in this respect.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi