Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Security through the back hatch

We are getting close to taking possession of our Bambi 16' and have been doing a lot of reading in the mean time. I am pouring through the "Newbies Guide to Airstreams." It states that the rear hatch is locked by a key that is a very common key pattern. So, in other words, many folks have a compatible key to open up the rear hatch. Apparently, thieves can get into your rear hatch, remove the containers, crawl in, and open the under-bed door to gain access to the interior of the trailor. The "Newbies Guide" offers the suggestion of putting a lock, of some sort, on the doors, under the bed, from the interior side. Any ideas?

Sandy
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. It's possible but not very likely. You can buy uniquely keyed locks for those doors online and yes, if you had a locking mechanism on the bed from the inside, it would be difficult to gain access. Nothing is 100% foolproof but you almost have to be a child to get in that way.

Camp on! 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Think it is very unlikely -- most thieves are not too smart and tend to be lazy. I suppose you could put a lock on the inside doors but then you won't be able to crawl in when inevitably you lock your keys in the trailer.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Remphoto,
That is a funny comment. The author of "Newbies Guide" wrote about using the rear access in helping fellow streamers break back into their trailers when they have locked themselves out.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
RV people don't steal from other RV people.
Non-RV people don't have that key.
It's just like all John Deere tractors have the same key. It is more of a safety switch- keep children from starting the tractor- than a security or theft deterrent.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Puyallup , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
Think it is very unlikely -- most thieves are not too smart and tend to be lazy. I suppose you could put a lock on the inside doors but then you won't be able to crawl in when inevitably you lock your keys in the trailer.
Thrives broke into ours by carefully (thankfully) cutting the seal around the bathroom window and renting it, then crawlied through and went shopping.
bwlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Security through the back hatch

I think that's the point. They can and will get on wherever they want however they want. Odds are low but it sucks if you're the statistic. Have good insurance, enjoy camping. Be smart but don't let the fact that there are thieves looking for stuff prevent you from enjoying your life.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
My dad said that all a lock does is keep an honest man honest! He said a thief could always find a way to gain entry. He also said the man who finds a stick of stove-wood on your wood-pile has a key to your house. I think there is a lot of wisdom in his outlook. Leave the family heirlooms at home and have insurance for the rest.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAndVin View Post
Remphoto,
That is a funny comment. The author of "Newbies Guide" wrote about using the rear access in helping fellow streamers break back into their trailers when they have locked themselves out.
Yes, I have personally slipped in to a trailer this way. I am 5 ft 9 inches tall and weigh 160 lbs. But I wouldn't want to do it again.

The comment in the Newbies Guide was not to scare people. I agree with other posters that a thief figuring this out and actually doing it is unlikely.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There are lots easier ways to get in. Don't ask how I know that. I'm 6'2 and 225 and I did it but it " Ain't easy". But after a rough road and the door lock vibrates itself locked you gotta do what you gotta do.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why bother with a key when there are rocks lying around to break out the window of choice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
You know, all of you are right. I will calm down a little and relax. I am an Airstream neophyte and so I am taking everything I am studying seriously in an effort to learn as much about our little trailers as I can.

In all my years of tenting, I usually leave all my gear out within my tent site and don't give it another thought. Only one time did anything "walk away." That time, our campground was near a farm field along the Colorado River and my tent site was located on the outer edge of the campground. Getting into camp late, we ate, washed dishes, and snuggled into the tent leaving gear laid out. The next morning, something was missing, the cooler. The thieves were not interested in the expensive knives, and such, just the food. They must have quietly walked in, lifted the cooler full of food and tiptoed out. I felt more sorry for them then I did myself while driving in town for a new cooler and some more food. I guess losing a bottle of wine was a bummer.

With that lesson, and yours, I promise to relax more as I figure things out.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
Yes, I have personally slipped in to a trailer this way. I am 5 ft 9 inches tall and weigh 160 lbs. But I wouldn't want to do it again.

The comment in the Newbies Guide was not to scare people. I agree with other posters that a thief figuring this out and actually doing it is unlikely.

Hey, wait... Aren't you...
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Last week while camping at a rally in a very large RV park, neighbors awoke to find their two Yeti cooler which had been chained and locked-down were cut-loose and missing. The cops were called and remarked that was a common occurrence at some RV parks where local thieves prey upon RV travelers.

A well-placed motion-detector scare-light is a possible deterrent, but thieves are thieves and we all need to look out for one another.

Warning to thieves: In Texas it is now a defense to prosecution to shoot a thief after dark.

Warning to others: Don't even resemble a thief if it's after sunset in Texas. Approach dark campsites with clear intents and loud salutations.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote