Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I went through three OEM boards on my 2017 International. Finally put a Dinosaur in - works like a charm.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
This is why I love forums. Also why doesn’t airstream just buy the Dino boards and fix the problem? I, like others, just dropped a pile of cash for an AS why not fix these little niggling bits and call it a day? They could probably build order these for 50 bucks a piece.

Thanks for the heads up. Next up I’m gonna go through and check all screws and connections

I guess this will be my first mod.

I’ll add I’m no stranger to tinkering or modifying, my last dirt bike purchase became a mod fest of 2/3000 dollars worth of stuff, however that was all nice to have stuff not necessary to have, like in this case.

What else do I need to be looking for?
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #103
KH

2021 25' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Cool 3rd trip COLD SHOWERS 2019 Sport 22FB

Thanks for your water heater/striker board failure post. Our water heater failed on our 3rd trip in our new 2019 Sport 22FB. Cold showers in the Florida Keys in December were tough but not tolerable in below freezing temperatures on our return journey back to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Shame on Airstream for not doing proper quality control on the water heater components.

Worrisome that the replacement will only mean more cold showers in the middle of another 4 thousand mile plus round trip. Why can’t Airstream do a recall and upgrade to Dinosaur striker board?

I won’t be recommending Airstream to anyone.

Burrr... in Mississippi,

Kat & Art
KatHan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Bad Atwood water heater circuit board

Our 2nd board just went after 30 hours of use on gas (We don't leave the water heater on all day) Now we are boondocking on the Arizona desert with our 8 month old trailer with cold water.
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
From reading this forum I guess I should go ahead and get a Dinosaur board on order. My trailer is supposed to come off assembly line tomorrow.

Do I need any mounting hardware or is a direct swap of the board.

Thanks

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Installing a Dinosaur board is about as easy as it can get.

For my 2017 International 27FB's 6-gallon Atwood water heater--and I gather for any Atwood that has 4-pin plus 6-pin cables on its igniter board--the replacement is Dinosaur's UIB-64. The board comes with a mounting adapter plate, a plastic cover, and mounting screws and nuts--everything you need.

I did this job last week. Installation took me only a few minutes, with nothing more than a small nut driver and a pocket knife (to pry the cables off the Atwood board). The Dinosaur mounting plate fits the Atwood screw holes perfectly. Plug in the wires and you're done.

Note: when doing the swap, use the shorter screws that Dinosaur supplies rather than the longer ones used by Atwood. Because of differences in the thicknesses of the two boards, the longer screws might press against the tank if used with the Dinosaur board.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Our 2nd board just went after 30 hours of use on gas (We don't leave the water heater on all day) Now we are boondocking on the Arizona desert with our 8 month old trailer with cold water.
Be sure you save the OEM striker board AND the Dino purchase receipt. Then call or email Airstream customer service and ask them for a refund on the Dino board since the OEM board was under warranty. Don't let anyone talk you into another OEM board swap. I went through 4 before the Dino. OEM boards are trash.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #108
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
New Orleans , Louisiana
No red light at Water Heater Switch

New-to-us 2018 Sport 22FB de-winterization and shake out trip complete in Galveston.

Only go/no-go issue: WATER HEATER INOP

Troubleshooting: Good propane (stove & furnace ops normal), good DC power (lights ops normal), good AC power (microwave ops normal), good water to trailer. H2O valves all correctly set. T/P valve bleed off checked. No luck bypassing thermal cutout. Red light at Water Heater switch never comes on when turned on. Water heater makes no attempt to light off. Suspect bad circuit board. Ordering Dino Board. Will report back.

FWIW, we never checked water heater at dealer because it was already winterized (Dec in Columbus, OH). Emailed Haydocy Airstream (purchased it there used) who said call Coach-Net. Coach-Net and Airstream Customer Service were polite but never mentioned the circuit board issue. They referred me to local AS dealer in Katy, TX which has a 2-month wait for service.

Appreciate everyone on airforum for sharing your expertise. I doubt this will be the last time I leverage your shared wisdom.

See you on the road soon!
GasStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Update....
received a new board from Airstream. It's from a different manufacter (not from Zhandong). Airstream said there are having problems with the old boards. At first it didn't fire up. I thought I got another bad board. After about 10 seconds it fired up. So far I have been running gas only with no issues for 3 days. I will update this thread if it fails.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasStream View Post
New-to-us 2018 Sport 22FB de-winterization and shake out trip complete in Galveston.

Only go/no-go issue: WATER HEATER INOP

Troubleshooting: Good propane (stove & furnace ops normal), good DC power (lights ops normal), good AC power (microwave ops normal), good water to trailer. H2O valves all correctly set. T/P valve bleed off checked. No luck bypassing thermal cutout. Red light at Water Heater switch never comes on when turned on. Water heater makes no attempt to light off. Suspect bad circuit board. Ordering Dino Board. Will report back.

FWIW, we never checked water heater at dealer because it was already winterized (Dec in Columbus, OH). Emailed Haydocy Airstream (purchased it there used) who said call Coach-Net. Coach-Net and Airstream Customer Service were polite but never mentioned the circuit board issue. They referred me to local AS dealer in Katy, TX which has a 2-month wait for service.

Appreciate everyone on airforum for sharing your expertise. I doubt this will be the last time I leverage your shared wisdom.

See you on the road soon!
Update: Dinosaur board installed. H2O heater works! A couple highlights: 1) Had to set the pin jumpers correctly on the new board. Mine were initially set for a 10-pin vs 6-pin connection and had to be adjusted. Follow instructions that come with the board. 2) While checking connections at the H2O heater switch I discovered all wires were very loose. Secured and checked connectivity to the H2O heater with a multimeter.

Thanks again to all who share their knowledge via this forum. You may just turn me into a DIYer yet.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
after three board failures , we went with Dinosaur's UIB-64.
after 1 year no issues.

BTW, after many calls, emails and letter to atwood and airstream, i still cant my money back after sending them the last bad hw heater board.
Atwood sucks and lies and claims nothing was received
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasStream View Post
Update: Dinosaur board installed. H2O heater works! A couple highlights: 1) Had to set the pin jumpers correctly on the new board. Mine were initially set for a 10-pin vs 6-pin connection and had to be adjusted. Follow instructions that come with the board. 2) While checking connections at the H2O heater switch I discovered all wires were very loose. Secured and checked connectivity to the H2O heater with a multimeter.

Thanks again to all who share their knowledge via this forum. You may just turn me into a DIYer yet.

Update: Airstream refunded us for full purchase price of the dinosaur board.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
after one year still no refund from the OEM or airstream

who did you speak to at AS?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
after one year still no refund from the OEM or airstream

who did you speak to at AS?
Refund processed by Michael Varno at Airstream Owner Relations. mvarno@airstream.com

He was very helpful!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
yes . same person i was emailing in sept 2018. still no money back
the OEM lost my last bad board and AS will not give me a refund without the board or proof they have it

im stuck

i will never by a dometic product again!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Well I guess we’ll see, I’ll test that theory in May. I have an appointment at the factory (for a different problem) and I will present my dead board to them in person, maybe it will help with the gas on my 700 mile round trip.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
Well I guess we’ll see, I’ll test that theory in May. I have an appointment at the factory (for a different problem) and I will present my dead board to them in person, maybe it will help with the gas on my 700 mile round trip.

Let us know how that goes. I replaced our board sometime last year, still have the original one. Will be going up to JC in Sept for unrelated work. I'll have to dig up the receipt for the dinosaur board to show them.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I just sent another note to Michael Varno at Airstream Owner Relations.

TWO dometic board failures
dometic paid for one( the 1st failure)
claim to have never received the second, even though they gave me a WO/RO #

Dometic has also lost many customer items during their office move in 2017/2018

i asked As the pay me back as dometic is useless
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #119
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
Unhappy

Mine worked at least once during the overnight at the dealer... after seeing these threads I pointedly asked about it and was told that it was a bad batch and things would be fine...

Well... I checked it out and it was working, fired a couple times. Unfortunately I subsequently used the electric dual mode afterwards not realizing that the gas ignitor fault wouldn’t show up when doing that.

Of course the following weekend for the first trip and it doesn’t work.

I don’t like to buy cheap disposable landfill(-er) and always buy fewer quality items when possible—like many on this forum. To have utter trash bolted on this trailer is disgraceful to the craftsmen who developed the skill and care to set all those rivets.

Given that of course I am not going to waste my time with more garbage parts to throw in the dump. I just ordered a Dino board, Im thankful for all those on this forum and the others that use it and took the time to report it as a superior solution.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
dont waste your time or effort with dometic or AS HQ

after the 2nd board died neither one will refund me the cost after more than 1 year in phone calls and email

very poor support from BOTH OEM's