Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

torrington , Connecticut
Satellite dish

How do you hookup a satellite dish on a 2017 22sport ? It only has one cable in on the trailer. Please help!
frankct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Does your owners manual have anything to say on this? Your dealer should also be able to answer this question.

On p. 39/92 of the attached PDF for the 2016 Sport:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ream-Sport.pdf

it does not have much to say about the cable connection, except for the note at the bottom left of p. 5-11, which says the TV Antenna booster must be "off for cable/satellite TV operation."

My guess would be that your television's set-up procedure will let you choose the satellite signal coming from the one exterior connection.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

torrington , Connecticut
Pete
Thank you for your input. I emailed Airstream and they sent me some information but the wiring is nothing like what I have in my trailer.
I opened the back of the radio/dvd player and that is a maze of wires. Does anyone know where the coax goes. Does it go to the booster or does it go somewhere in the back of the DVD player. If anyone has hooked up a satellite to a Sport please let me know.
frankct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankct View Post
Pete
Thank you for your input. I emailed Airstream and they sent me some information but the wiring is nothing like what I have in my trailer.
I opened the back of the radio/dvd player and that is a maze of wires. Does anyone know where the coax goes. Does it go to the booster or does it go somewhere in the back of the DVD player. If anyone has hooked up a satellite to a Sport please let me know.
Do you have a television hooked up to the CATV outlet inside? I would try running a cable signal to the exterior jack, and see if you can get the TV to work on cable. I would also try the TV using the trailer's antenna (cranked up if applicable, and antenna booster turned on), to see if your trailer is pre-wired correctly from the outside jack to the inside jack. This will also let you get familiar with the TV's setup menu etc..

If you cross those bridges successfully, then the satellite reception issues will be easier to figure out.

The sales staff at your dealer should be able to help also IMO -- hopefully.

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Hi. Has anyone figured this out? I have a 2017 sport 22fb and i connected my winegard pathway x2 into the airstream exterior coax jack and connected the inside antenna coax to the satellite receiver. No joy. Receiver cannt see the dish. Works directly connected.
redvfr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Been reading that there may be a coax connector behind the dvd unit that may be connected to the external satellite outlet. I will have to open that up to see thats true.

External Satellite Input <---> Internal Antenna Outlook - No joy.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Here's what our owner's manual says:

To install a satellite system use the following procedure:
1. Remove the jumper wire from the coax faceplate.
2. Hook a portable dish into the Cable TV receptacle in the roadside rear underbelly compartment. This feeds the dish signal to the input side of the faceplate.
3. Install the satellite receiver input and output into the dual coax faceplate.
To return to a cable TV system, remove the satellite receiver from the faceplate and reinstall the
jumper cable.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Hmm my manual says nothing of that sort. I'll look at that in the few days and respnd with my findings. Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvfr02 View Post
Hmm my manual says nothing of that sort. I'll look at that in the few days and respnd with my findings. Thanks
Finally got a chance to open the wall plate. In the wall plate, i didnt see any jumper but i did see a cable labeled CABLE and a cable labeled ANTENNA. Both were connected to a circuit board.

Since i didnt see a way that the CABLE was working through the circuit board's output connection, i disconnected the CABLE cable and connected straight to the satellite receiver. It worked!!.

Im just going to drill a extra hole in the wall plate and pull the connector labeled CABLE to that and connect it to the receiver.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I also have a 22ft Sport fb and need the same answer
Cherokee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvfr02 View Post
Finally got a chance to open the wall plate. In the wall plate, i didnt see any jumper but i did see a cable labeled CABLE and a cable labeled ANTENNA. Both were connected to a circuit board.

Since i didnt see a way that the CABLE was working through the circuit board's output connection, i disconnected the CABLE cable and connected straight to the satellite receiver. It worked!!.

Im just going to drill a extra hole in the wall plate and pull the connector labeled CABLE to that and connect it to the receiver.

Thanks everyone.
This is what I did for mine. I drilled another Hole and pulled the cable connector to the faceplate. Doesn't seem to work on the circuit board.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
There are combiner/splitters for this so you can temporarily combine and then separate these frequencies on lone down-feeders from the attic, etc. The DTV folks use these all the time so customers can maintain their local MATV to their televisions.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Have a new 22 and new tailgater. Wanted to be able to have satellite and cable available. On the plate inside wanted two coax plug ins, one for antenna/cable as it has know and a new one for satellite.

Opened outlet plate and there is a cable and antenna connections on the circuit board and one coax connector going thru the plate from the circuit boaters. If I disconnect the cable feed from the circuit board and plug directly into the satellite box it works fine but now I don’t have antenna hook up

Tried a simple coax splitter on the cable line that was plugged into plate circuit board. Output was one for satellite (cut 2nd hole in plate and ran it out to satellite box input) and the other back into the cable coax connector on the circuit board. Now I had the two coax plugs

Didn’t work. Doesn’t like the splitter and no signal. Booster was always off

I guess I can use a splitter that has toggle but to use it would have to be outside the plate. That does not make sense

Anyone solved this?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You can't use a splitter. A duplexer with a DC path may work, but a dedicated cable is simpler. You need a cable from the plate to the outside dedicated for the tailgater. If your trailer has a cable to the outside for cable television you can use that; I did for my 2001 Safari. This write-up I did for the Safari may be of some help.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...5&d=1423941158

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Since this thread has been running since last summer I'm guessing it's already been solved. But in the event it hasn't...here's what I did to my 2016 22fb Sport when I installed a Dish Tailgater.

You have to run a "separate cable" for the Satellite but it's not rocket science to get it done.
Open up the bottom of the closet. The access point to the water pump. Looking at the exterior wall you can see where the "factory cable comes in". Moving back about a foot towards the rear of the trailer drill a hole from the "outside" of the trailer.

Then install a new cable/satellite box. Here's one I got off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once the new cable/satellite is in place, connect a tv cable from the back side of the box, up thru the back of the closet. Then install a simple cable wall jack on the wall behind the tv. A simple hole drilled will enable the cable to connect to the box. Here's the box I used from Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-Plast...l-Jack/1101043

Once the face plate has been attached to the wall behind the tv it covers up the hole that was drilled to make a pass thru for the cable.

Connect you Satellite Unit to this connector. I used heavy velcro to attach it to the wall behind the tv.

I place my Dish unit behind the trailer...point it south and your good to go.

Hope this has been helpful.

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Since this thread has been running since last summer I'm guessing it's already been solved. But in the event it hasn't...here's what I did to my 2016 22fb Sport when I installed a Dish Tailgater.

You have to run a "separate cable" for the Satellite but it's not rocket science to get it done.
Open up the bottom of the closet. The access point to the water pump. Looking at the exterior wall you can see where the "factory cable comes in". Moving back about a foot towards the rear of the trailer drill a hole from the "outside" of the trailer.

Then install a new cable/satellite box. Here's one I got off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once the new cable/satellite is in place, connect a tv cable from the back side of the box, up thru the back of the closet. Then install a simple cable wall jack on the wall behind the tv. A simple hole drilled will enable the cable to connect to the box. Here's the box I used from Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-Plast...l-Jack/1101043

Once the face plate has been attached to the wall behind the tv it covers up the hole that was drilled to make a pass thru for the cable.

Connect you Satellite Unit to this connector. I used heavy velcro to attach it to the wall behind the tv.

I place my Dish unit behind the trailer...point it south and your good to go.

Hope this has been helpful.

Pat
The 2019 22 is a bit different. The factory input is not accessible through the closet access to water pump area. That cable comes up between the aluminum walls. To install satellite cable i would have to drill through both walls to bring in. Guess no reason not to do that way, though

Thanks
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote