Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Road Tool Kit

What would be essential road tools to carry?

I have vintage VW's, and we always carry a regular bunch of replacement parts and tools for them. Of course for the most part we roll with a AAA card and a cell phone. But what tools would be best to have in every day situations?

Thanks -First post!
Tom

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I believe that Rich Luhr has a list in his new book: Newbie's Guide to Airstreaming.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reay View Post
What would be essential road tools to carry?

I have vintage VW's, and we always carry a regular bunch of replacement parts and tools for them. Of course for the most part we roll with a AAA card and a cell phone. But what tools would be best to have in every day situations?

Thanks -First post!
Tom

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We carry a canvas tool bag, equipped with screwdrivers, vise grips, regular and needle-nosed pliers, a hammer, hatchet, folding saw, ratchet wrench and sockets.

Also in there is Goo-gone, WD-40, duct tape, electricians tape and a tape measure.

We carry elsewhere extra fuses and bulbs for everything.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As far as I'm concerned, the most important part of the tool kit (and mentioned in the Newbie's Guide) is a well-stocked first aid kit. Campers are often just as far from a hospital as they are from a repair shop— and can't wait as long to get fixed as can their Airstreams.

Handy hint for first aid kits, that I got from a paramedic who stocks his ambulance with them: Carry a travel pack of Kotex Maxi-Pads in the first aid kit, even if there are no women for miles around. They are, without exception, the most absorbent bandages you can find; better than any gauze bandages that Johnson & Johnson sells. And they're individually wrapped in sterile packaging, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on a First Aid Kit.

Our kids gave us one of these the first year we retired, and we have added to it a bottle of sterile saline solution and tea tree oil.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
First Aid kit excepted, my most important tool kit items have been a big flat screwdriver and a set of small socket wrenches, used to dismantle the gas burner in the water heater on far too many occasions. Curse those crawly critters! Grips and pliers very useful, too.

I haven't used tools on a car for years now, so having to carry tools for the Airstream seems strange; it takes me back to my youth when I had to tote tools around when riding my little Yamaha two-stroke motorcycle and things had to be fixed regularly.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Think through what you need for your hitch and lugs. At first I wasn't carrying long-handled wrenches to muscle the hitch bolts tight enough. So I added a 1/2-inch breaker bar with appropriate sockets and adapters and two long-handled wrenches in 1/2-inch and 3/4-inch. To loosen the lugs you'll want the right thin-walled, long shaft six-point socket on a breaker bar. The right socket is expensive but essential to keep from damaging the wheels and the lugs. To tighten the lugs you'll want a 1/2-inch torque wrench. A 12-volt or even an 18-volt cordless drill will come in handy for the stabilizers and lugs. I found out that a 9-volt cordless drill is sending a boy to do a man's job.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To say I am a tool enthusiast is an understatement. Being new to the Airstream world, I carry a fairly comprehensive tool assortment in both metric and SAE. Over time, I can off-load those items that never see the light of day. Better to have something and not need it than the other way around.

There have been many tool posts and suggestion lists both here and other locations. I have merged them into a sensible pile and use several soft bag tool storage units of various sizes and colors to sort by tool type.

The tool of last resort is that I also have both AAA and GoodSam Roadside assistance coupled with a satellite portable phone.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Since my trailer is now 50 years old and I always seem to be 200 miles from civilization I carry a little of everything : two items I would not be without are electrical testers (12V and 110V) and wrenches that will fit everything on my hitch setup. spare bulbs and fuses are also a must have.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Hobo

2006 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
Most everything posted by everyone else but, in addition, a leatherman tool or similar multi-tool carried in a drawer inside the trailer saves many trips out to the tool box.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Ditto on a First Aid Kit.

Our kids gave us one of these the first year we retired, and we have added to it a bottle of sterile saline solution and tea tree oil.

Maggie
Make your own saline: 1 cup (240 ml) boiled water, 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon table salt
(1.25 -2.5 ml) . Mix together, allow to cool. Keep in clean covered container. Make a new batch every 3 days. Can be used to wash wounds or eyes, gargle, snort up your nose.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by voremus View Post
Most everything posted by everyone else but, in addition, a leatherman tool or similar multi-tool carried in a drawer inside the trailer saves many trips out to the tool box.
Yeah. A Leatherman or any of its many competitors s never the right tool for any job, but it's better than no tool at all. I have a Gerber Suspension that's on my belt every time I leave my apartment; unless I'm on my way to the airport or to jury duty.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post

Make your own saline: 1 cup (240 ml) boiled water, 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon table salt
(1.25 -2.5 ml) . Mix together, allow to cool. Keep in clean covered container. Make a new batch every 3 days. Can be used to wash wounds or eyes, gargle, snort up your nose.
Yikes! There's a vision!

If we ever are in need of saline solution every three days, we'll make up a batch! . Thanks!

We keep it in its' sterile bottle from the store, in the event of a human or canine emergency.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We carry a Leatherman and a mini, girl-type Leatherman, as well.

Maggie