Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Remove Microwave For Other Useable Space Or To Reduce Trailer Weight ?

We do not use the microwave in our 2016 22" Sport Bambi, so I took it out to see what was in that area. Real easy removal. Take out a few screws, then un-plug cord from the back wall panel and unit slides out. I have a few questions . First, does anyone know what type of Plywood material/wood is used for the cabinet construction and has anyone converted that space for other use ? If nothing else, I am thinking since its not being used and can be reinstalled easily why not just remove the microwave to take around 40 pounds of weight off the trailer and put that subtracted weight back in with something else ?. Whether we decide to remove to reduce the overall weight of the trailer or use that space for other use, I need to know what the cabinet material is made of. I would like the material to match the existing outside cabinet area even if we just decide to have a front panel made to cover over where the Microwave was.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
We've never used ours either. We are seldom hooked up to power, so the clock is never set. I've heard a couple of stories about the microwaves falling out on rough roads. I may pull mine out and check it out. Sorry I'm no help to your questions..

Old 10-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
That's ok ... Even if I were to want to use a microwave ,the few times would to maybe pop popcorn or warm up a beverage. So a much smaller/portable unit to sit on top of the counter would be more practical for us. It could be stored in our tow vehicle & not in our trailer. I am always thinking about re-sale down the road so I would not do anything that would make that do over look anything but professional .
Old 10-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Could you make a door to match the rest of the trailer and turn it into another cabinet? Your trailer is so new you can probably buy all the hardware to match the rest.
Just a thought.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We rarely use our microwave. I use the microwave to store our plates and bowls. That way I have it put to good use, and still have the microwave if needed.

I think you can download the parts breakdown from the AS website for your model and verify the color, handles, etc used on your model.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Ours fell out and was totally destroyed. If that wasn't bad enough it cut the flooring, dented a lower cabinet door, and punched two holes in the subfloor. We bought a new one at Camping World. It lasted about two months. We are now fighting them to get it replaces under the 2 year Dometic warranty.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
You can send the VIN number of your Airstream to Customer Service at Jackson center and ask for the Laminate Brand and Manufactures number. When I did that, Jackson Customer service got back to me the next day, and I was able to order the matching laminate from Lowes Lumberyard.

Regards
Al
Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Friday Harbor , Washington
My microwave is storage too

Like others who have little need, mine is simply storage as well. Maybe I will remove it as well. I will follow comments for advice too. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No benefit fit to weight reduction. Better oven securement is obvious.

Does the OP never use electricity to cook? Is never in a hot area where a MW oven is a blessing?

There is more than one thread hereabouts on the benefit of a MW combined with a convection oven.

That, and using the present one for storage (better secured) are the routes I'd investigate.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
To us reduced weight is a benefit , that 40lbs of other useable stuff that could be put in the Bambi Sport. As for those of us who seldom have a use for such a microwave its no blessing.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First, are you sure it weighs forty pounds?. It's not a 1971 Amana RadarRange. And forty pounds won't change a thing so long as one respects the height at which weight is added.

It won't mean a thing to the overall weight of the rig or either vehicle. Not to tires or axle ratings.

Two hundred pounds "might" mean something.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Getting a microwave in a RV was a luxury to us. I couldn't imagine taking it out. Our original Magic Chef died last winter. I replaced it as soon as I found it wasn't working.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We haven't had a microwave in our home in about 18 years now. We have on on our sailboat and have used it maybe 2 times in 11 years... Our next boat (being built now) will not have one at all, we delegated it!
Our Bambi doesn't have one but it doesn't have an oven either. We bring our Big Green Egg MiniMax along and do without it.
We do miss the oven but have zero need for a microwave.
You'll be fine
Bruce
Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
We have a 19 Ft FC with a stove and gas oven. We have to 1 kid and one baby and we have never used the oven, but we would really appreciate a microwave to warm milk and baby food, and we are always hooked up. It is funny how every camper has different needs....