Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Remove Microwave For Other Useable Space Or To Reduce Trailer Weight ?

We do not use the microwave in our 2016 22" Sport Bambi, so I took it out to see what was in that area. Real easy removal. Take out a few screws, then un-plug cord from the back wall panel and unit slides out. I have a few questions . First, does anyone know what type of Plywood material/wood is used for the cabinet construction and has anyone converted that space for other use ? If nothing else, I am thinking since its not being used and can be reinstalled easily why not just remove the microwave to take around 40 pounds of weight off the trailer and put that subtracted weight back in with something else ?. Whether we decide to remove to reduce the overall weight of the trailer or use that space for other use, I need to know what the cabinet material is made of. I would like the material to match the existing outside cabinet area even if we just decide to have a front panel made to cover over where the Microwave was.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We've never used ours either. We are seldom hooked up to power, so the clock is never set. I've heard a couple of stories about the microwaves falling out on rough roads. I may pull mine out and check it out. Sorry I'm no help to your questions..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
That's ok ... Even if I were to want to use a microwave ,the few times would to maybe pop popcorn or warm up a beverage. So a much smaller/portable unit to sit on top of the counter would be more practical for us. It could be stored in our tow vehicle & not in our trailer. I am always thinking about re-sale down the road so I would not do anything that would make that do over look anything but professional .
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Could you make a door to match the rest of the trailer and turn it into another cabinet? Your trailer is so new you can probably buy all the hardware to match the rest.
Just a thought.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We rarely use our microwave. I use the microwave to store our plates and bowls. That way I have it put to good use, and still have the microwave if needed.

I think you can download the parts breakdown from the AS website for your model and verify the color, handles, etc used on your model.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Ours fell out and was totally destroyed. If that wasn't bad enough it cut the flooring, dented a lower cabinet door, and punched two holes in the subfloor. We bought a new one at Camping World. It lasted about two months. We are now fighting them to get it replaces under the 2 year Dometic warranty.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
You can send the VIN number of your Airstream to Customer Service at Jackson center and ask for the Laminate Brand and Manufactures number. When I did that, Jackson Customer service got back to me the next day, and I was able to order the matching laminate from Lowes Lumberyard.

Regards
Al
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
My microwave is storage too

Like others who have little need, mine is simply storage as well. Maybe I will remove it as well. I will follow comments for advice too. Thanks for bringing this up.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No benefit fit to weight reduction. Better oven securement is obvious.

Does the OP never use electricity to cook? Is never in a hot area where a MW oven is a blessing?

There is more than one thread hereabouts on the benefit of a MW combined with a convection oven.

That, and using the present one for storage (better secured) are the routes I'd investigate.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
To us reduced weight is a benefit , that 40lbs of other useable stuff that could be put in the Bambi Sport. As for those of us who seldom have a use for such a microwave its no blessing.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First, are you sure it weighs forty pounds?. It's not a 1971 Amana RadarRange. And forty pounds won't change a thing so long as one respects the height at which weight is added.

It won't mean a thing to the overall weight of the rig or either vehicle. Not to tires or axle ratings.

Two hundred pounds "might" mean something.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Getting a microwave in a RV was a luxury to us. I couldn't imagine taking it out. Our original Magic Chef died last winter. I replaced it as soon as I found it wasn't working.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We haven't had a microwave in our home in about 18 years now. We have on on our sailboat and have used it maybe 2 times in 11 years... Our next boat (being built now) will not have one at all, we delegated it!
Our Bambi doesn't have one but it doesn't have an oven either. We bring our Big Green Egg MiniMax along and do without it.
We do miss the oven but have zero need for a microwave.
You'll be fine
Bruce
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
We have a 19 Ft FC with a stove and gas oven. We have to 1 kid and one baby and we have never used the oven, but we would really appreciate a microwave to warm milk and baby food, and we are always hooked up. It is funny how every camper has different needs....
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We boondock almost exclusively, and I use our microwave for storage of disposable plates, bowls, forks, spoons, knives, and napkins. It has a latchable door and is perfect for this function.

However we have already installed substantial solar and are in the process of a corresponding lithium upgrade as well, and my husband is hell-bent on being able to use the microwave for its original intended purpose - to warm food. In his view, it's far more efficient to use a microwave than a gas stove when potable water and wastewater tank space are both precious commodities. Eliminating the need to wash pots and pans will help in that regard. So our lithium system is being sized partly with this consideration in mind.

Possible moral of this story - lithium is not yet mainstream but it will get there, and whatever you do to your cabinetry, you might want to preserve the ability to put your microwave back in at some future point, either for your own purposes or for resale value.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Dumas , Texas
We have a 1972 Argosy, of course it doesn't have a MW. I would LOVE to have the smallest one I can find to just sit on the counter or table. We would store it when traveling in our vehicle. Anyone have a small one you could recommend?
Denda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
We do not use the microwave in our 2016 22" Sport Bambi, so I took it out to see what was in that area. Real easy removal. Take out a few screws, then un-plug cord from the back wall panel and unit slides out. I have a few questions . First, does anyone know what type of Plywood material/wood is used for the cabinet construction and has anyone converted that space for other use ? If nothing else, I am thinking since its not being used and can be reinstalled easily why not just remove the microwave to take around 40 pounds of weight off the trailer and put that subtracted weight back in with something else ?. Whether we decide to remove to reduce the overall weight of the trailer or use that space for other use, I need to know what the cabinet material is made of. I would like the material to match the existing outside cabinet area even if we just decide to have a front panel made to cover over where the Microwave was.
After being unable to find & match the surrounding cabinet material , I decided to purchase(order) a sheet of polycarbonate from a local industrial glass company. They recommended a sheet of 1/4 inch thickness. I was able to match the color/finish of the stove and sink top covers. This material is strong, resists cracking and is easily drilled. Drilled 4 holes to screw in place which will be unseen when the microwave is placed back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02187.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	275057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02188.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	275058  

Old 11-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We have the exact same floorplan.

I cannot see any advantage to removing a MW and then hiding the open space with a blank piece of plastic. At the very least I'd have hinged it to allow storage of paper plates/towels/etc.

Although we don't use it often, our Convection/MW has baked cookies, jalapeno poppers, warmed drinks, popped popcorn, etc., and has done so without heating up the rest of the AS. Of course it requires shore power or generator but we usually have one or the other available if only for the purpose (in the case of the gen.)
While camping at Lake Catherine last July a big storm blew in and shut down the entire area from power. Although planning for shore power...(we were on a long trip which included some boondocking so had our gen with us).... our generator powered our AC, MW, and wife's hair dryer... and our neighbors plugged into it momentarily to take advantage for their needs. (They had failed to bring their gen because they expected shore power at the campsite.)

Anyway, although this is about removing a MW, I'd suggest you try using it and you might find how useful it can be.

Meanwhile,.... it's easy to remove. Four screws on the ventilated cover and pull it out. (In fact, that's why some folks enjoy the experience of it falling out...it's improperly secured by AS.) Firstly, the MW sits on a shelf which is cantilevered and not supported at the rear.
I cut a 2x4 down to a 2x3 and laid it beneath the rear of the shelf, and secured it to the shelf with a couple of deck screws. Now it doesn't bounce-around. I also screwed down a long strip of 1x1 along the front, just in front of the MW front legs, so it cannot "hop" out of the shelf. (The flimsy sheet metal cover is the only thing to prevent that otherwise.) Now the MW rides securely, and it's easy to pop frozen sausage/biscuits into the MW for a quick breakfast and get on down the road, or go explore.
Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
microwave removal for an extra cabinet

I would love to remove our microwave as we almost never use it and prefer the oven or outside cooking. Wondered if we could buy a matching door front from Airstream? It sounds easy enough to remove but rebuilding a drawer and finding the right front panel might be an issue?
Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
suzieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you drop by Lowe's or Home Despot you can buy a ready-made cabinet-door to install yourself. Very cost effective.
Otherwise, any local cabinet maker can provide one quite simple.

Or... You can leave the MW insitu ...incase you later realize you can warm your coffee in it or pop popcorn.... and simply use the empty MW for a storage cabinet .... and you've not spent any money at all!

PS: Microwaves are not heavy appliances, actually. You'll only save 20 lbs or so, ....even less if you replace it with cabinetry.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote