Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

For several years, I have wanted an RV... specifically an airstream. I put it on the back burner because of the price. I joined a Safari Condo private Facebook group as it seemed a more affordable option than the airstream I really wanted. In the end, I thought if I am going to do this, I should do it the way I really want to.

I've been calling dealers all over about gently used Sport 22's... They are gone by the time I call. Snatched up from under me.

I am located in the Boston area... seems hard to come by any decent stock. I called Colonial Airstream about an incoming 2016 (used)... It was sold before it even came in for $42,995. I had a lead on a 2015 at Airstream of Nashua. Gone!

In my mind there were so many impediments to actually getting the Airstream that I feel I have mitigated... (this would be my first RV)

First and foremost, my TV is not adequate. Second, where to visit that I would feel comfortable getting my feet wet RV'ing, Third, how to maintain / winterize the Airstream... Fourth, lack of stock in the model I want.

-- I visited a campground last weekend that I could rent seasonally so it would just be a matter of borrowing my ex-husband's TV which is adequate and has a tow hitch (BMW X5) to get it up there for the season and then at the end of the season bring to a place close by which has indoor service and the ability to do all the things to winterize it that I am not confident to do on my own.

-- I loved this campground and think my kids would too. I could imagine making it our home away from home year in and year out and it has fueled my desire to make the airstream dream a reality.

Because I want to get started this summer (kids at perfect age... time's a wasting)... I am giving up on finding a decently priced used model.

I placed a deposit earlier this evening with Airstream of Chicago for a new 2017 Sport 22FB.

I am equally excited and nervous.

I reserved a UHaul truck with 6000 pound towing capacity to drive it back. Cost: $760 to get it back to Boston (plus whatever my flight out there costs).

The MSRP is $54,900. My negotiated sales price is $45,000. I did not do any back and forth with him. Asked for his best price and that is what he told me. I feel maybe I left some money on the table?

I read Boxite's story about receiving the AS in horrible condition and it made me so worried about buying so far away from home. I really wish I could buy from Airstream of Nashua - very close to home, but they are a tiny dealer with very little stock. After reading Boxite's story, I wondered if I wait and hope a Sport 22 winds up in Nashua... and put this summer's AS dream on the back burner.

One of the replys on that thread was essentially "they don't make 'em like they used to"... ugh...

The deposit is 100% refundable for one week from today so gives me time to think.

First timer / buying far from home / Am I romanticizing it? / could I have negotiated more / Should I even do this????

Thank you
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not sweat the "total disaster" side of things. I'd also not plan spending the night in the trailer at the dealer's lot. Have them fix anything you find as an issue the next day. Plan on a < 150 mile drive on the first day. Drive about the same or a bit more on the next couple days. It will take a bit of time getting used to towing. If you can recruit a "co-pilot" for the mission, do so. It will make the whole process much less stressful. Don't rush the process and it all should go pretty well.

For the flight out, I'd check Southwest from Nashua to Midway. Done early it should be pretty cheap.

One thing to consider: Once you have paid for the AS, they should hold if for at least a couple months without charging you for storage. You *might* want to take care of the "new TV" issue before you pick up the new AS. That way you get the whole hitch install / set up thing done when you pick up the trailer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
You got 18% off which is not overpaying at all. Some will say you can find deals up to 25% off in certain situations/places/models/dealers but 17% seems to be a common 'fair' number. It is a 2017 so maybe a bit more than 17% could have been negotiated...but maybe not for a Sport that likely has narrower profit margins, and as you have discovered, is very popular.

Having said that, when I first got in the market two years ago, I was frustrated too, and lost several prospects. I did find one, and when I did it turned out to be better than the deals I missed. I have since sold that one and repeated the process, and got an amazing deal on the one I have now. (Both were lightly used).

Have you considered other lengths/models? There are a couple nice Flying Cloud 19's on rv trader under $40,000 lightly used, and also have you seen this sport for under $40,000? https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...22FB-122176663 . I drove 800 miles for my first one and 1700 miles for my second one. Had the sellers do Facetime tours with me inside and out before sending a deposit, and then the deposit was still refundable upon final inspection at pickup.

I can say that without a doubt if you are patient and stay on top of things, something great always comes up.

But on the other hand, you might love having a brand new unit with the warranty, especially if you are concerned about quality issues. That's peace of mind for sure.

Good luck!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Derry , New Hampshire
I am in the same boat you are. I put a deposit down on a 2017 23D FC from Colonial. I am picking it up Thursday, spending the night in the lot, and driving back Friday. I negotiated in a refundable deposit upon inspection of the AS.

The thought of driving back from NJ to New Hampshire for my first time is making me nervous. I've never towed anything bigger then a dump cart on a lawn mower.

I wanted to buy from Nashua myself. I liked the salesman, but their lack of ability to call me back and inaccurate hours drove me nuts. I actually went on a Sunday to put a deposit down and they were closed despite the signs saying they were open Sundays.

I've been happy so far with my experience with Colonial. I guess I will know more in a few days. I tend to overthink and stress about every detail. This is going to be a great lesson in letting life unfold.
ClaysandBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
For several years, I have wanted an RV... specifically an airstream. I put it on the back burner because of the price. I joined a Safari Condo private Facebook group as it seemed a more affordable option than the airstream I really wanted. In the end, I thought if I am going to do this, I should do it the way I really want to. *1

I've been calling dealers all over about gently used Sport 22's... They are gone by the time I call. Snatched up from under me.

I am located in the Boston area... seems hard to come by any decent stock. I called Colonial Airstream about an incoming 2016 (used)... It was sold before it even came in for $42,995. I had a lead on a 2015 at Airstream of Nashua. Gone! *2

In my mind there were so many impediments to actually getting the Airstream that I feel I have mitigated... (this would be my first RV) *3

First and foremost, my TV is not adequate. *4 Second, where to visit that I would feel comfortable getting my feet wet RV'ing, *5 Third, how to maintain / winterize the Airstream... *6 Fourth, lack of stock in the model I want.

-- I visited a campground last weekend that I could rent seasonally so it would just be a matter of borrowing my ex-husband's TV which is adequate and has a tow hitch (BMW X5) to get it up there for the season and then at the end of the season bring to a place close by which has indoor service and the ability to do all the things to winterize it that I am not confident to do on my own.

-- I loved this campground and think my kids would too. I could imagine making it our home away from home year in and year out and it has fueled my desire to make the airstream dream a reality.

Because I want to get started this summer (kids at perfect age... time's a wasting)... I am giving up on finding a decently priced used model.

I placed a deposit earlier this evening with Airstream of Chicago for a new 2017 Sport 22FB.

I am equally excited and nervous. *7

I reserved a UHaul truck with 6000 pound towing capacity to drive it back. Cost: $760 to get it back to Boston (plus whatever my flight out there costs). *8

The MSRP is $54,900. My negotiated sales price is $45,000. I did not do any back and forth with him. Asked for his best price and that is what he told me. I feel maybe I left some money on the table? *9

I read Boxite's story about receiving the AS in horrible condition and it made me so worried about buying so far away from home. I really wish I could buy from Airstream of Nashua - very close to home, but they are a tiny dealer with very little stock. After reading Boxite's story, I wondered if I wait and hope a Sport 22 winds up in Nashua... and put this summer's AS dream on the back burner. *10

One of the replys on that thread was essentially "they don't make 'em like they used to"... ugh...

The deposit is 100% refundable for one week from today so gives me time to think.

First timer / buying far from home / Am I romanticizing it? *11 / could I have negotiated more *12 / Should I even do this???? *13

Thank you

Hello and welcome. You seem to have been bit by the incurable aluminitus bug!

I've numbered 13 areas in your post above with an asterisk and a number - I'll use that number below for my thoughts on your post - take all this with a grain of salt - or an entire salt lick....

1) the way you want must be an Airstream? If so - you're on the right track and everything you've outlined can be worked out. How sure are you it must be an Airstream?

2) they do go fast. If it must be an AS, could Nashua order the one you want? You could talk with folks in local WBCCI clubs like the New England Unit, the White Mountains Unit, Charter Oak, Cape Cod - see if anyone is thinking of selling...

3) meaning - you've addressed things you needed to so you can make this transaction happen? If so - congratulations! Sounds exciting!

4) you have alternate solutions for his and since it sounds like you're not taking it on the road much, rather, seasonally parking at a site and then going in to storage - perhaps you e got that sorted out. Though - the beauty of an AS is its roadworthiness and the opportunity to see everything by hooking up your home on wheels and taking off! So food for thought - if you're going to park it - a different brand might better serve that need for a lot less money. Or - consider some time at that campground and planning on an adequate TV to haul your tin dream around more.

5) see 4 - so much to see!!!! National parks, funky campsites, ocean, desert, mountains, plains, awesome people....

6) this can seem daunting at first but if o can learn - I'm supremely confident you can too. No one is born knowing how to winterize a trailer (or to tow one for that matter) - so you gotta learn it - and once you do - easy peasey!

7) I am FOR you! [emoji3] Completely understandable.

8) if this is the final decision - another alternative is a towing/shipping service - pros and cons there. The pro is no flight, no uhaul, no gas, no liability, no first time drive for a couple days with your new baby. Downsides include you'd really want to be at the dealer for at least a night going over everything making sure all systems work before taking it out, best of you had your own TV to have the hitch setup, etc.

9) I wouldn't worry about it. Average is 20% off MSRP and I think they have more room to wiggle with bigger trailers so you asked for their best and got it. Sounds good to me.

10) another reason to be there for the inspection and even consider asking someone from the forums with experience in the Chicago area to help you inspect it. You'll hear horror stories here and when it's bad, it's a bummer. Rarely do people pop on to say how great everything is working - but I suspect it's not as bad as the setup of the forums suggests...there might be other reasons to put your plan on hold - like - thinking about a different brand if you're just going to park it, talking with local WBCCI units to see about used inventory, etc.

11) yes [emoji3] that's the best part!

12) see 9 above

13) only you can answer that [emoji3]

Again - take with a salt lick. One guy's thoughts - your mileage can, will, and should vary.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With Colonial, the "overnight in the lot" *is* part of the deal. I would very much recommend taking them up on it. The entire process on our AS went very well there.

Bob
Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
hi Bob,
Thank you for your reply... Actually, thank you to everyone for replying... it is incredibly heartening to have the advice at this juncture.

After reading your note about the TV, I went online to learn more about this aspect... and what I learned was not such great news with regard to using a UHaul to tow the AS back to Massachusetts. Apparently there are laws around needing tow brakes... I had explained to the UHaul representative what I was up to and he was hunky dory about reserving a unit. I am now questioning quite a bit whether using a UHaul is safe, prudent or legal...

I appreciate the vote of confidence very much about not getting all doom and gloom about what can go wrong.

As for upgrading to a suitable TV before getting the AS... my budget doesn't allow for that at this point. When my daughter gets her license in 1.5 years, I am planning to get another vehicle that would be suitable as a TV for a smaller AS.

Thank you very much Bob!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
peskier... Thank you! I am wondering if I am being impulsive - it has been frustrating for sure to have them disappear so quickly. I am considering sending a message to the Florida owner you sent a link on as it is the SAME exact interior color as the one in Chicago and that was one of the things that sealed the deal for me on that particular unit. I was hoping to avoid beige/brown. The price was $39,995 and said negotiable. Will let you know what I learn. Thank you very much for linking that to me.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
that was suppose to be pcskier NOT peskier (auto correct)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Being a bit worried about this is not at all unusual. It's a big decision in more than one way. Don't let the concern about a relatively rare defect issue on a trailer distract you from the larger issues of getting a proper TV and hitch setup.

Bob
Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
claysandbird,
oh my! your experience in Nashua mirrors mine! Drove up there with my son and his friend and felt absolutely terrible that they were closed. We wandered around the parking lot, peaking inside various units. We ended up finding someone inside of one of them (the Sport 22FB that I was after!! she had purchased it a month earlier and it was still listed on their website for sale -- she was a total character - has been living in the parking lot for a month and now goes by Tincan Annie. Loved her so I guess not a total loss going to Nashua. She sung the praises of the staff, mostly especially "Uncle Jerry" (who did not return my phone call!).

Meanwhile Pat from Colonial Airstream responded lightning quick but not much to offer me. Was trying to avoid the big price step up for a Flying Cloud and I like the layout of the Sport 22.

It is nice to know someone is in the same boat. Thank you so much for responding...
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
If you search around on here, you'll find someone had rented a 3/4 ton pickup, from Enterprise or one of those, maybe from their commercial division, to get a large tow setup with a 7 pin connector. I think I remember from about 2-3 months back.

Good luck
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Oxford Mills , Ontario
For 5k or so more than the used one buy the new one ... full warranty ( gives you two full seasons to work out the kinks and get them fixed free) and and one year newer which will get you the 5k back if you decide to sell it [emoji256]
Crazycanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
SteveSueMac,
oh my gosh... I cannot thank you enough for the encouragement...
As for whether the AS is the only think I would consider, not really...
My son spends a lot of time looking with me and we have considered numerous options but always come back to the AS because of stylishness (which I will admit is a big thing for me - I just cringe at the beige / polyester fabric in so many RV's... not sure why the industry hasn't updated their look?? .. I thought that I could have a seamstress make new cushions covers for me and I would still be thousands under the cost of an AS, but I like the idea of buying something that will hold its value better than everything else out there).

As for parking it... I would eventually like to hit the open road. I think the idea of the nice campground in Maine which is close by to several friends who I know I could count on to visit me is a comfort... My goal would be to hit the open road when my daughter is off to college (she is not interested in long road trips, but my younger son is).

I think being in that camp ground is a way of putting a toe in the water in a safe way and also buys me some time to get the appropriate TV (not something I can do right now).

I wholeheartedly agree that going to Chicago is something that I should 100% do. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase of this magnitude and sitting at home wondering what is going on, is it going to make it back okay. Will I give up my opportunity to learn all the ins and outs, etc.

Thank you again for your thoughtful response. Much appreciated. Will keep you posted on how it all works out.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
crazycanucks... you make a good point!

RandyNH... I had just come across that option with the Enterprise 3/4 ton truck. I think they don't let you return in a different location so I would be looking at driving out there AND back and while I don't mind driving it makes me wonder if there is a better way??
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So, I'm still working full time, and recently purchased a new Airstream from Colonial... and I live in Texas. I have the advantage of being able to work remotely, so I just made a road trip of it. I didn't have the extra challenge you do about the tow vehicle, so I just drove my own truck up there. I made a long, easy road trip of it on the way back... I stayed 2 nights at Colonial, and the few things that needed to be addressed were corrected promptly after my walk-through. Find out what comes in your "starter kit" from the dealer, and especially if you're going to be driving a rental out there and back again make a point to take what you need for a comfy trip home (or plan to buy stuff, if you don't already have things like sheets and cookware for the trailer, etc.)

Several months and 3500 miles of travel and 19 nights spent in the Flying Cloud, we're entirely satisfied with our purchase.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, I'm still working full time, and recently purchased a new Airstream from Colonial... and I live in Texas. I have the advantage of being able to work remotely, so I just made a road trip of it. I didn't have the extra challenge you do about the tow vehicle, so I just drove my own truck up there. I made a long, easy road trip of it on the way back... I stayed 2 nights at Colonial, and the few things that needed to be addressed were corrected promptly after my walk-through. Find out what comes in your "starter kit" from the dealer, and especially if you're going to be driving a rental out there and back again make a point to take what you need for a comfy trip home (or plan to buy stuff, if you don't already have things like sheets and cookware for the trailer, etc.)

Several months and 3500 miles of travel and 19 nights spent in the Flying Cloud, we're entirely satisfied with our purchase.

Thank you DKB_SATX... sounds like it has gone sooo well for you. I started second guessing (after reading Bob's messages and doing some research) whether I've worked out all the impediments to getting the AS since I don't have a proper TV.. I guess in reading so many forum posts last night too about declining quality. I've saved up to purchase this with cash but I'm not in a position to change my current automobile ... self doubt setting in.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
No harm in waiting until the timing and finances are right.

When The Force Is With You, you will know it . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a good 40 years going around the "should we / shouldn't we" loop. At various points we picked up this and that. Now that we finally pulled the trigger, the main question is: Why didn't we do this ten years ago?

Bob
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We spent a good 40 years going around the "should we / shouldn't we" loop. At various points we picked up this and that. Now that we finally pulled the trigger, the main question is: Why didn't we do this ten years ago?

Bob

So an update... in hope of not saying "why didn't I do this ten years earlier"... I made a deal. Gave a deposit. Done deal! I decided that Illinois was simply too far away to make the deal work under my circumstances without a proper total vehicle. I ended up buying a 2018 model, so a year newer and my price is $45,600 so $600 more than the 2017, BUT that includes delivery to my house. They are literally going to bring it to me! I am beyond thrilled with the price as well as the fact that I don't have to figure out how to get this back on my own as a first timer. I will be able to gently ease into learning the ropes.

I am super excited and so is my son who has been by my side through all the ups and downs and looking, going here and there and everywhere looking at campers.

I love my sales man at Haydocy airstream in Columbus Ohio (660 miles from me, rather than 1120 of Chicago airstream). He is going to take a full walk-through video showing me everything and how to do operational stuff. So that eases my mind that I cannot be there.

Thank you all!