Old 09-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If you don't have a rear bumper, you will have to go with the front mount rack over the propane tanks.

Great pics! Thanks. Weird how the middle photo in the ad shows the rack in a Sport model. Wonder how they did that without a bumper. I contacted Can Am and they said they have bracket 'made and ready' for the Sport models.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
The Arvika 7000-AF involves no penetration of the Airstream as it bolts onto the A-Frame just behind the propane tanks. The additional support bracket (BR-AF) is recommended for the 3-4 bike configuration, but I installed it on our 2 bike configuration. It mounts onto the power jack mast and adds more stability. If anyone is interested, I will post some pix.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hello Chaeha

Here a a couple of close ups of the attachments. They are relatively easy to do. We send the rack with two sided tape on the brackets so you can basically stick it on and then drill the holes. Worst case scenario if you do drill a hole in the wrong place you can just change the insert to hide it.

The biggest risk installing one is that you let the screwdriver slip off the screw and scratch the panel.

We install quite a few of the front bike carriers as well but you have to be sure your turning circle will be ok with your tow vehicle. This is mainly an issue with pick ups, and full size SUV's. The only other thing I notice is the front mounted bikes can get a lot of bugs on them.

I'll check that price for you It may have gone down with the exchange rate changes.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport Bike Carrier 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	248459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport Bike Carrier close up.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	248460  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Can you get in trouble for it?

What about covering up the license plates? Do the cops not care about that?

I've been thinking of making something similar for the back bumper of my Avion, but in all cases these rear racks cover up the plate. I was worried that the gendarmes might not like that.

Or do the cops view us as "Happy Campers" not possibly up to no good and don't worry about it?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
We're well into our 2nd season with our CanAm install of the bike rack. It works great for us.

And no problems with the 'authorities'.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	248464   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	248465  

Old 09-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hello Chaeha

Here a a couple of close ups of the attachments. They are relatively easy to do. We send the rack with two sided tape on the brackets so you can basically stick it on and then drill the holes. Worst case scenario if you do drill a hole in the wrong place you can just change the insert to hide it.

The biggest risk installing one is that you let the screwdriver slip off the screw and scratch the panel.

We install quite a few of the front bike carriers as well but you have to be sure your turning circle will be ok with your tow vehicle. This is mainly an issue with pick ups, and full size SUV's. The only other thing I notice is the front mounted bikes can get a lot of bugs on them.

I'll check that price for you It may have gone down with the exchange rate changes.

Andrew T

Andrew,

Thanks for so much for the info and the close up pics. Finally makes sense to me now how it mounts. Surprised that the middle belt line and the bottom rub rail have enough strength to hold the rack and 2 adult bikes! Been in contact with Martin from your parts department who has also given me great info. Thanks again. Let me know the actual price plus freight. Martin quoted me $1098 Canadian total.

Chae
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Can anyone with the 7000 on the rear tell me how much extra length it adds when folded flush against the trailer? Can the rack be removed (and the mounts be left in place) when not in use? I have tight storage. A few inches might tip the balance. Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hello Chaeha

We install quite a few of the front bike carriers as well but you have to be sure your turning circle will be ok with your tow vehicle. This is mainly an issue with pick ups, and full size SUV's. The only other thing I notice is the front mounted bikes can get a lot of bugs on them..

Andrew T
Now that I have a camper shell on my Ram 2500 I did get within a few inches of the bike wheel and rack bike rail touching the shell. I was able to move the front bike rail back a couple more inches so should allow me a tighter angle backing in but I'll still have to be careful. When I had my Tundra it had a tonneau cover and the bike rack was above that level.

I might have preferred the rear location but my Classic rear bumper with the pull out tray complicates installing a bike rack back there.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario
Send a message via AIM to TRIPPPIN Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I purchased the rack from CANAM on the back of my Eddie Bauer 25 FB. My trailer is 3 inches shorter than my garage so I needed something completely removable, which this is. I mounted it so the bottom brackets are on the top of the bumper and the top brackets are screwed into the belt line moulding which is the best place as it is very thick and recommended by CANAM. The brackets are mounted on top of the rear bumper so that when I touch my garage wall with the rear bumper I don't leave 2 holes from the brackets sticking out. I can still open my bumper storage lid too while the rack is in place. The rack also tilts back so I can open my rear hatch without removing the bikes completely. This is a good quality rack guaranteed to fit, lightweight and easy to remove. The rack cost more than the bikes but the peace of mind ensuring the bikes or rack would not damage my AS and prevent a costly repair was worth it.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
I purchased the rack from CANAM on the back of my Eddie Bauer 25 FB. My trailer is 3 inches shorter than my garage so I needed something completely removable, which this is. I mounted it so the bottom brackets are on the top of the bumper and the top brackets are screwed into the belt line moulding which is the best place as it is very thick and recommended by CANAM. The brackets are mounted on top of the rear bumper so that when I touch my garage wall with the rear bumper I don't leave 2 holes from the brackets sticking out. I can still open my bumper storage lid too while the rack is in place. The rack also tilts back so I can open my rear hatch without removing the bikes completely. This is a good quality rack guaranteed to fit, lightweight and easy to remove. The rack cost more than the bikes but the peace of mind ensuring the bikes or rack would not damage my AS and prevent a costly repair was worth it.

Thanks for the info. Seems like I'm going to take the plunge and buy this rack for my Sport. Anybody have any 'cons' regarding the rack?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Please post pictures and update when you get it installed on your sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
For those of you that purchased from Can Am from the USA did you pay Canadian tax? The kind folks at Can Am say that it be refunded after the fact via a form. True? Any trouble getting the tax back? Can anyone send me the link to the appropriate form online?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I don't remember paying any tax when I ordered my bike rack directly from Arvika.

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
I did not pay any Canadian tax when I purchased my 7000-AF, 2-bike rack directly from Arvika.